Custom Speedbead mounts

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Custom Speedbead mounts

Post by howl »

Is there a source for Speedbead mounts other than Burris?
MeadowCreekMounts

Re: Custom Speedbead mounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

Might get more help if you tell us why you don't want the Burris. It will eliminate some of the back and forth answering questions.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I was wanting to put a speed bead on my 20 ga. 870, but Burris doesn't make a mount for it (?!). I don't want to drill and tap the receiver on that gun if I can avoid it.

Jim
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I'm with you, Jim. Why on Earth do they not offer mounts for the twenties?!
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Custom Speedbead mounts

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

All it would take is someone with the right tools and will power.

Wish I could help out..Id like to have one for a 20 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

Cut N Run wrote:I was wanting to put a speed bead on my 20 ga. 870, but Burris doesn't make a mount for it (?!). I don't want to drill and tap the receiver on that gun if I can avoid it.

Jim

Did you ever figure this out? It would be possible to make your own piece to fit the 20 870, but only if it's removable from the Speedbead mount. I can't remember if it is. You could also use a 12 gauge stock, and the 20 to 12 gauge adapter. Might be fugly!
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

I shot with a buddy of mine this weekend with a speed bead mount on a 12 gauge 870. It would not hold a zero with turkey loads. he finally gave in and went to go get it drilled and tapped for a 336 mount.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

That's what has been found. They don't hold up too mag shotguns. Drill and tap for turkey guns.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

tubecaller10 wrote:I shot with a buddy of mine this weekend with a speed bead mount on a 12 gauge 870. It would not hold a zero with turkey loads. he finally gave in and went to go get it drilled and tapped for a 336 mount.
My experience mirrored this to a tee, I don't trust them.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
xarcher

Post by xarcher »

Have you thought about one of those saddle mounts?
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Best I have been able to find is all saddles are 12ga and have shims to fit a 20ga. Not sure it would hold zero either.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
turkyjoe

Post by turkyjoe »

[quote="howl"]Is there a source for Speedbead mounts other than Burris?[/quot]
look up b square cantilever universal mount # 16175 just order 0ne for my Stoeger
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

REN recently modified one to fit a 20 ga M2. He posted about it on TN Deer, but he's a member here too. He msy have some insight.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

I use a cantilever vent rib mount on mine, it seems to hold up fine.
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

Cabelas in Charleston WV has a bunch of Speedbead mounts on clearance in the bargain cave. Some mount between buttstock and receiver and some mount like a scope ring, on the barrell? Just saw them this afternoon. They also had a TruGlo Red dot with mount for a Rem for like $55. Just passing this along...
Ranger007

Post by Ranger007 »

With the help of REN I "customized" one for a M2 12 to fit my 20. And put a vortex venom on it. It's a little wider than the stock because it's for the 12.

There's a thread on the other forum with some pics. Search "M2 20 speed bead I got it to work" over there. Not sure if I could post a link here or not.
REN

Custom Speedbead mounts

Post by REN »

Ranger007 wrote:With the help of REN I "customized" one for a M2 12 to fit my 20. And put a vortex venom on it. It's a little wider than the stock because it's for the 12.

There's a thread on the other forum with some pics. Search "M2 20 speed bead I got it to work" over there. Not sure if I could post a link here or not.

If you have a dremel the modifications are super simple. I did find one thing I had to do after the fact though. The front part doesn't fit flush on the receiver like it does on the 12 (there is a small gap between the mount and the receiver on the 20)

This gap allowed my site to rotate side to side some if I applied pressure which is no Bueno. So I added a small strip of felt to mine on the front side and then used the set pin on the back to level it back out. It's super solid now and zero movement

Here is the felt mod I added.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Sent from my phone sucka
Ranger007

Post by Ranger007 »

REN wrote:
Ranger007 wrote:With the help of REN I "customized" one for a M2 12 to fit my 20. And put a vortex venom on it. It's a little wider than the stock because it's for the 12.

If you have a dremel the modifications are super simple. I did find one thing I had to do after the fact though. The front part doesn't fit flush on the receiver like it does on the 12 (there is a small gap between the mount and the receiver on the 20)

This gap allowed my site to rotate side to side some if I applied pressure which is no Bueno. So I added a small strip of felt to mine on the front side and then used the set pin on the back to level it back out. It's super solid now and zero movement

Here is the felt mod I added.

Yep did the same with the little piece of stick on foam they sent with the speed bead then leveled with the back screw. Looks and feels solid so far held zero for a box of 7.5, a few lead turkey loads and 4 TSS loads.

Also looks like I could still get away with using the bead on the barrel in the case of a red dot failure. I know that I couldn't do that with the drill and tap.
REN

Custom Speedbead mounts

Post by REN »

Same here the bead is still an option in mine. The extra foam they send will work perfect I just happen to rip mine in half on accident or I would have used that instead of the felt but the felt does give it a less squishy option and it will not budge currently when when I try to make it move with my hands

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

Sent from my phone sucka

Return to “Gun Talk”