Madison's first turkey!

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Leebo

Madison's first turkey!

Post by Leebo »

My eldest daughter Madison (13) harvested her first turkey opening youth weekend!
We left early Saturday morning to begin our three and a half hour trek to the turkey woods!
During our little road trip I had asked her where she wanted to hunt. Her reply was "the very same spot you killed your first turkey Dad".
That was it and we now had clear direction on where to go. Nevertheless we had no luck opening morning with the turkeys in that spot. The woods were quiet with the exception to the four hogs we had come within 10' of our blind! We decided to scout. After all we took a shot in the dark to begin with. So we spent the rest of the morning and a good part of the afternoon scouting. We had some promising prospects, but it was hard to tell if they would be there the next morning because of the times we saw them. We picked a spot and built a blind for the morning. The next morning we parked a little further away so the boat wouldn't spook any on our way in and began our walk to the blind. To our surprise the woods were talking a little bit. We had been sitting there for almost an hour and then I got the faint whisper "Dad there's some turkeys coming from my left side"! ( Madison on the left Dad on the right facing our decoys)
I didn't want to spook them by turning my head so I asked her "are they hens or gobblers"? She said "hens...............three of them"!
I told her to keep an eye on them and watch for gobblers in case some were following. Within a few seconds of the hens seeing our decoys they started yelping, clucking and purring. Then we heard two separate gobblers to my right side. One a little further in front of us and the other hard to our right and guessing about 10-15 yds from our boat! Go figure. The hens continued straight away from us and did not head towards the gobblers. I told her "game on honey"! We somehow ended up between the hens and the gobblers. Textbook perfect!
All luck no doubt! After about 15 minutes since the hens were out of site.......I was steady looking to my right where the gobblers were sounding off and then all of a sudden I see one coming our way. I said "Madison here he comes"! Check that! There's two!
I told her to be calm and slowly look to my side/her right. Dad...........I see them!
They were coming in slow at first with half struts and then full struts! I told her "get your gun up real slow when they pass in front of the cypress tree". Unfortunately there were two and one came beyond the tree when she was half way up with her gun. I whispered "freeze"!
Then they both started strutting around our decoys at which time she was able to pull up with her gun because they blinded each other trying to show off! I told her......"remember what we discussed on our road trip and many times before.....................shoot at the base of his neck". BOOM was the next sound that was heard! She hammered him! Perfect shot! She rolled him! The second bird was hanging around. I told her he must be the dominant of the two or he probably would have spurred the down bird! We were wanting to put our hands on that downed bird, but the other wouldn't leave! I told her we should wait and not spook him if we wanted to hunt him again. The anticipation was too much! I waived my arms up. He took three quick steps away and stopped. I then got up and exposed myself because she was shaking so bad and wanted to get to her bird too!
What a dandy for her first! 9-1/8" beard and respective 1" & 1-1/8" spurs! There was no wiping that smile off of her face for the next week! Whenever I wanted to see her smile I would say "who's my turkey slayer"? Take a look at the photo and for all the Dads out there it is priceless memories like this one that we will cherish for ever!! Sorry for the long story and I tried to condense it,but it was awesome!

Leebo

Re: Madison's first turkey!

Post by Leebo »

Having some difficulties with up loading the picture.
Rick.................HELP????
Thanks for letting me share this moment!
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Great story of a great hunt that will be forever burned in both of your memories congrats. Cannot wait to see pics.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Awesome hunt Leebo!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Cool story, keep it up.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ads1

Post by ads1 »

That was a great story that I know you will cherish for a lifetime! Happy for you both. :)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats to Madison and one proud father!! Great story..Can't wait to see the pictures.

Please clarify the part where you "Exposed" yourself. I did not know that exposing oneself would make a gobbler turn tail.
Try that at the local Walmart and see what reaction you get. :lol:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Great story!!!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Awesome story
I thought you would be BIGGER
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Added pics from our gallery for Leebo. More pics in the GN Gallery>
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

great hunt! congrats!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The pictures say it all!! She's grinnin' like a jack-ass eating thistles.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Awesome hunt! Congrats to the both of you.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Cintax

Post by Cintax »

So awesome! What a great experience for you both.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

AWESOME HUNT !!! Congrats to Madison :)
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Congratulations Madison!

Great story Leebo...thanks