Spring 2011

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
unclerick

Spring 2011

Post by unclerick »

I guess like everyone, every hunt makes for a good tale, and I've got several. But the 2011 season was a year for alot of "firsts", and the one I want forget is my first triple. I was going into my favorite hunting hole early one afternoon to set up in a different spot, I walked along a creek bed lane that runs between 3 fields surrrounded by grown up fence rows and hardwoods, as I came into the end into a 4 acre field I eased in and peeked and around the corner at the other end of this field standing in another lane going thru some cedars was 1 hen and 3 struters. I slowly backed up and worked around the creek and thru some brambles got a look at them. I did a little calling to see what they'd do, them birds would move a little then go back, after several minutes and no commetment on their part I back tracked still doing a little yelping and clucking. Frustrated at not being able to get to them or bring them closer I set in the shade thinking, "Lord what do I do", He answeres,me, "fighting purr and a decoy". So I got out my favorite pot call and striker, pulled my wing from my vest and dug out a mouth call. Got the fighting purr going with some aggressive yelpping and smacking that wing on everything, sounded like a flock of birds fighting, I did this for about 3 minutes off and on, finaily took a peek and there they were 50yrds from me, comeing in with a purpose and I had no were to hide, so I ran across the lane neeled down by a sapling, got my gun up and forgot to put my decoy up, so I jumped up stuck her in the ground ran back to the sapling got my gun up and there walked in the hen, she walked by me straight for the deke then them gobblers came in, full strut side by side, all longbeards, picture perfect 20yrds away, didn't know how I was going to shoot one without hitting them all, so I just picked the outside one and shot, DBD, I just tagged my first double beard gobbler, and I was soaking wet from the heat and adrenlin and shacking like a leaf as if it was my first bird ever, ( ofcourse they all are like that ), it is one of the many hunts I will always be thankful for and will never forget, man what a hunt.
Attachments
20110510-133344.JPG
20110510-133344.JPG (76.11 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Spring 2011

Post by Turkey Talker »

great story
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Awesome story..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Awesome story. X2
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

:thumbup: Cool. Got my first doublebeard last year also, and couldn't have been much more excited if I had hit the lotto.
ImageImageImage
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Cool. I thought you were going to shoot all three cause you said you got your first triple in the beginning of the story.
Mike
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Great story!

Return to “Huntin Tales”