My first Turkey

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
ncturkey

My first Turkey

Post by ncturkey »

This is the story of my first turkey. I took him back on April 14 1997. It was my fifth turkey season. The reason I took this bird was due to scouting beginning in early March. I found out where this gobbler was roosting on April 5 1997.The place I got him was on a game land in North Carolina. I almost took this same tom on opening day on the Saturday April 12 1997. But due to other hunters scaring him off I failed to get him. I roosted him on April 13 1997 Sunday evening. Monday April 14 1997. I was setup near his roost by 5:00 am. He gobbled good on the roost. He flew down and went to the west instead of east to me. After that morning setup I sat down to try and figure out were that gobbler went. I then remembered from my scouting he had a strut zone to the west of the roost. So I went a few ridges over near his strut zone. I called on my mouth caller. He gobbled from the far end of his strut zone. I setup and I called to that him for hours but he would not come my way. I played the silent game on him. Finally at 2:45pm he came to look for that hen that had been calling to him. He was coming straight to me. He moved to my left behind a tree. He stood behind that tree for what seemed like forever. He then turned to leave going straight away. He made the mistake of stopping and looking back toward me. That was his final mistake. I fired and down he goes down. He tipped the scales at 22 lbs even, sported 10 1/4" beard with 1" dull spurs on both legs. I named my first turkey too. He is called Flinthill Gobbler. He is name after the mountain which I took him. There is flint rock everywhere around that mountain. I think that is why his spurs are so dulled. It was an awesome day in the spring woods.Image
Mike
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My first Turkey

Post by Jaybird »

:thumbup: Those are the fun Turkeys, that you scout, and finally put down using the knowledge you gained from the pursuit.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

That was a great story. I love when you find a Gobbler like that and finally kill him.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Great story. Nice picture of a somewhat younger, ncturkey hunter.. :struttin:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

nice first gobbler an hunt Mike!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks for the comments. Hard to beleive it was only 15 years ago.
Mike
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

GREAT STORY and GREAT MEMORIES! Thanks for sharing!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Great Story !! :thumbright:

Return to “Huntin Tales”