Perseverance

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Perseverance

Post by Jaybird »

This year in Kansas was rough. Hunted on a video hunt with Shane, Simpzenith, and because I didn't stake down my lightweight Deke, the winds caught my Deke and spooked a large Gobbler with some very serious hooks. Until then he was coming on a line to our spread. Went back for a week on vacation, and every choice I made was wrong. Saw lots of birds, but could not get in position for a shot to save my life. I left Kansas with my tail between my legs, one licked and depressed hunter. Finally made my decision to go back for another try the last 3 days of the season, 5/29-5/31. I knew if it was like last year the Toms would be totally done with breeding, and about all you'd get in on calling is Jakes. Yep, it was the same this year. All the Toms were bunched up heading to fields to eat, and if you called they about ran to get away from a Hen. I picked a Public spot that borders a heavily populated private spot loaded with birds, because that's the area where all the fields are. First morning I was set up too far away from the field, and only called in Jakes. Decided to walk up a hill to my Truck for lunch, and knowing the fields were at the top of the hill, I was very careful to move slow, and use available cover. As I got to the top my a large stack of cleared timber, I peeked around and no birds. Slung my gun over my shoulder and started to walk by a wheat field towards my truck, At that moment a big Gobbler steps out of the tall wheat, and by the time I got into shooting position, he's gone around the lumber pile. You talk about steamed, I about blew a blood vessel in my temple. Ate lunch and headed back to my spot, to finish the day with the idea I'd set up up above the next day. At 3:30 I see this lone Gobbler wander out of the woods across from me and head parralel to where I'm at. I call and he walks faster away. I put stakes out at 40 yards, and I know he's well over 50 away, but I've patterned well at 50, so decide to take the shot. After the shot, the bird goes nuts, and starts running in circles, then at 40 yards takes to the air back the way he came. Now it's Pheasant time, swing ahead pull the trigger and drop him like Rooster. Bad Kansas Karma erased. Paced distance on first shot, and it was mid 60 range. I might have stung him, but he sure wasn't wounded. Just scared. Next morning set up same spot, but knew I should be up above, but planned on being there by noon. So with no action, below, did the same sneak up the hill with the idea of finishing the day at the wood pile. As I slowly peak thru the wood pile, I see 2 red heads heading my way thru the grass. Hoping for Toms I set up and wait. Finally, have to peek again, and there's a nice Gobbler coming right in front of me. Set back down in shooting position, and at 20 yards knocked him head over heels. As I step out the second Gobbler is standing there looking at his buddy for a real easy shot if I hadn't been tagged out. As I walk to my bird, he flops over, and I'm looking at 2 real nice beards. :mrgreen: For those that got phone calls in the next few minutes, you probably could tell I was a bit excited. So when it's going bad, hang in there, your luck could change in a hurry.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Re: Perseverance

Post by GobbleNut »

Good tale, Jay. That's one of the main points I make to the new guys,....you can't get discouraged and give up! If you persevere, you will eventually succeed. May take a while, but if you learn the basics of turkey hunting and calling,...and then stick with it,...you will eventually kill a gobbler,...and often, it happens all of a sudden.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

nice tale, stay patient and you will kill a JAKE!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Cool hunt.
Mike

Return to “Huntin Tales”