Excerpt from the book I've been trying to write

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.

Excerpt from the book I've been trying to write

Post by 935 »

Chapter 2

The Fall after I killed my first turkey my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. That was 2003. Dad and I had had our ups and downs. I guess that’s true of most sons and dads, but I’d say we had more than our fair share. Without voicing it we knew we should do better and also without voicing it we both knew that most likely time was short. I was in hot pursuit of my new hobby and thought putting Pops on a tom would be a great way for us to re-bond. At the time when I suggested it he was all in.
Being a rookie and knowing that there were 4 jakes in the flock that I saw on my very first scouting trips. I hadn’t bothered to search out new hunting spots. Preseason scouting had revealed at least 2 longbeards hanging out in the same field where I had harvested my tom the year before. I learned a valuable lesson that season, have at least 1 backup spot.
By the time April rolled around my dad was weak from chemotherapy and radiation. He had lost weight and also lost his famous, at least to my teenage self, tolerance to cold weather. His health was low but his confidence was high. We talked about how the hunt would unfold and when and where for him to make the shot. “Shoot him in the neck right where the feathers stop.” That first morning I loaded the Mossberg 500 with 6 3” shells. When he saw me loading the gun he asked how many turkeys he could kill. “Just 1 Pops, just 1.” In his mind he only needed 1 shell to kill 1 bird. I explained that the heavier the gun the less recoil. I didn’t tell him, but the lightweight pumpgun kicked a good bit. I knew that even in his weakened state the recoil would be overshadowed by the excitement of the shooting of a tom. I picked my dad up extra early on opening morning. One good thing about taking Dad turkey hunting was that Mom had breakfast ready when I arrived. I carried the gun and all the gear including a small seat that has an inner tube in it. Depending on the hunter’s desire the tube can be inflated or deflated to make sitting more comfortable. I still use that seat today. He was wearing long underwear and a quilted jacket I had just my camo pants and shirt. A major change from when we first started hunting together 30 plus years before.
A tom sounded off right on schedule at first light. He answered my calls and seemed to be coming but then headed the other way. A few minutes later we heard a truck coming up the path and into the field where the 3 of us, Dad, my hen decoy and me, were set up. Unbeknownst to me a logging crew was moving in. We had 2 hours of undisturbed hunting on a good day. There are 5 Saturdays in NC’s turkey season, Dad and I hunted all 5. He was working part time in between doctor’s appointments. By the time Saturday came he was tired from all of it but still went hunting, I was doing it for him and he was doing it for me. The best morning and the closest we came to connecting was about mid season. A tom was coming and answering my calls. I was still new to trying to call in a tom but from all I’d heard and read about hunting turkeys; calling just to hear gobbles isn’t the right way to go about it. Dad kept wanting me to yelp again to make him gobble again. I tried to get him to see we were screwing up by calling so much, but he thought it was neat that the tom was gobbling at every sound I made. What happens is although a tom is all hot and bothered by the sweet sexy hen sounds; he knows that the hens are supposed to come to him. The trick is to play hard to get, get him fired up and then give him a good dose of silence. I’ll admit I was all caught up in making the longbeard gobble too. If I had it to do over I would be savvier about my calling and we might just have brought home a bird.
That season ended without a shot. I did hunt a few times without Dad; my boss let me have a few mornings during the week. I hunted the same area but was able to go into the woods and try my luck at getting closer to the roosted tom. Between the loggers and my limited experience that didn’t work out either. Dad succumbed to his disease on September, 1st of that same year. It felt like he was with me when 3 days later I was the first out of the field on opening day with a limit of doves. Dad had taken me on my first dove hunt a lot of years before that day. I’ll never regret dedicating my second turkey season to him.
Thank you Lord for creating these wonderful birds and allowing us to chase after them.
202P&Y

Re: Excerpt from the book I've been trying to write

Post by 202P&Y »

Good read
Proverbs 3:5-6
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nicely done!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Ctrize

Post by Ctrize »

Very good story, I used a couple of grammar apps Grammarly in word being one that came on my computer.It will correct grammar mistakes. Such as which numbers should be written out.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good read. He had a good time I’m certain.
Sorry to hear bout your dad bud. He will be with you this spring out there. No doubt.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Huntin Tales”