ok i did the big M

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
willie

ok i did the big M

Post by willie »

i went out this morning and heard a gobbler gobbling his head off.he was on posted land so i didn't get to excited.i listened for more gobblers in the same spot and this gobbler was really getting my attention so i said lets give it a try.he had already flown down and was gobbling about every 2 minutes.if this was going to happen he had to cross dirt road and still go about 50 yards and go under or over a fence to be on my turf.i could tell he was flanking the road and when he got straight in front of me (which was about 100 yards i gobbled at him (in this spot is what they like i reckon no girls allowed).he answered me right back and i could tell he was with his jake buddies.i was behind a clump of weeds (not much cover available).the gobbler got wide open and i clucked at him(nothing but not a surprise).he seem to be a little closer and gobbling about every minute.i gobbled and he cut me off.silence for about 5 minutes (i am on red alert).he gobbled and was a little to my right maybe 45 yards but weeds hid him.i single yuk him (like a jake) bam he was visible about 40 yards and peeking with his buddies.i already had my gun on his head when he stopped to peek BOOOOM 3 turkeys get up and fly and i said to myself self if it wasn't 4 gobblers you missed.well i got my stuff put up and and stood up and walked over there and you know what i did the big M which stands for Miiiissss.well not one to dwell on the past i went to truck and went to store and got a biscuit.at least it was fun for me not him. :cheers:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: ok i did the big M

Post by Grumpy »

Damn, you must be human like the rest of us.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Warning shot!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Come on and admit it .. you're a true blue conservationist :thumbup: :stir: :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

It really sucks when it happens, but it does happen sooner or later to everyone. All you can do is grin and bear it. You will have redemption at a later date. This makes the pill easier to swallow!
👍
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

You’ll get him next time.good luck. I’ve always said long time ago how in the world can you miss a bird inside 40 yards with a shotgun. Well I figured that out about 8 years ago. I missed at 10 yards and last year I missed one at 35. Lol. I believe now.
I didn’t miss this year though. Lol.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

In Massachusetts you're a "Audubon Don" , a true Conservationist. Anyone who says they have never missed is either new or a liar ! :thumbleft:
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

Willie, don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I just got back from our trip out to our farm in Oklahoma. Decent Rios in the area. Had a similar set up scenario as yours. Gobblers talking it up across a county road, but range through our area regularly. We set up in some ridge covered in cedars, with open lanes the birds seem to travel through. Somehow a couple of birds went by up out to the east followed by another tom that was responding to our calls but not coming in. Never saw them. 45 minutes to an hour later we hear a couple birds behind up coming in. Turns out it's two jakes that came into 5-10 yards and boogered after rounding the cedar and seeing up. We hear another bird back to our east. Figured it was the lone tom from before. We decided to run and gun him, left chairs, decoys and packs. We got about 150 yards through the trees and heard him. We did a quick squat under cedars. 5 minutes later his head periscopes up over a small terrace 70-80 yards to our right. I knew I couldn't squat for long with my gun up, but he moved behind a clump of cedars and brush so I got on my butt with the gun on my knee barrel pointing at the clump waiting for him. He popped out but was not coming closer but moving away from us. As this would be my first Rio, when he cleared the trees I shot. Next thing I know he's flying straight up and hit the ground going well above the speed limit! We knew his was within 40 yards, but I either jiggered the aim, or the old Winchester 1200 20ga with only a bead doesn't shoot where we thought. Has a Jellyhead choke and my son killed a 22lbs one a couple years before with it, though at about 15 yards. That was some beautiful mature bird with the early morning sun on him, with a 10" paint brush beard. We made sure it was a clean miss, didn't want him feeding coyotes.

I've relived that shot a bunch and just couldn't believe it happened but it does. The weather went south the next day with steady blowing rain with 25-30 mph winds. No birds moving. The next morning after was this past Sunday, a gorgeous still, clear morning with temps in the 40s. Thoughts birds would be out and about feeding and looking for love. Not a peep!

Sad, but the good thing is, we get to do it again next year! Keep the faith!
Don
aristico

Post by aristico »

Whats a miss?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have made my fair share of misses

mostly due to a Venom shifting its dot and a base kept coming loose.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

I fired a warning shot at one this morning at 15 steps. First shot with the 20guage. Must have been a dud shell.🤔
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I bet it didn't have any shot in the shell. I have had a few of those over the years.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

I'll go with that. No shot in the shell. Sounds good because it didn't even hardly scare him.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Tight chokes and souped up shells make missing easy. I know I've done it!

Return to “Huntin Tales”