Baby Girl and I

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Prospector

Baby Girl and I

Post by Prospector »

Our Mississippi spring starts March 15th. My 18yo son and I started rough with misses ( 2 each!😳). So on March 24th my youngest and I went on an afternoon hunt to a spot where I knew from experience that turkeys used. Our goal was to set and call then later move thru the timber and hopefully hear or see a gobbler for in the am. While in our blind I explained why we were here and what we were doing. My daughter ate it up and asked many questions. I called a few times over the first hour or so, just some general yelps and clucks on a box, then we went silent and allowed that perhaps greatest of calls to work for us. The afternoon wore on with nothing but some crows raising a ruckus a 100 yards or so away. As my daughter got a bit antsy I cautioned her that crows will many times reveal hidden turkeys and ( at least in my area) love to harass a strutter. Some more time went by without anything further so we decided to inact phase II... as we prepared to move I wisely ( for once) checked closely and just happened to catch turkey movement on a fields edge. I warned my girl and then gave one quite yelp series by voice followed by a purr. He walked quickly down the edge and as soon as I positively identified him as a longboard he got welcomed with a 2oz load of Hevi-13 6's at just over 20yds. As I stood over him my daughter rushed up proclaiming " Let me get some of that!". I helped her subdue the legs and spurs and let her take that " sweet" wing whipping we all should love. He was only a lonely 2yo with average beard and spurs but it was a priceless moment for us. On the ride home she commented on how I was right about the crows( Id sure like to think so) and how much she learned.... BTW that's the pic in my avatar. TY
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Baby Girl and I

Post by HunterGKS »

Thumbs Up Round Face.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good read. Congrats
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Lots of learning right there!

Congrats on the daughter killing a gobbler!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Really nice story. Hope she gets more gobblers next March!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Great story. I do not see the picture in your Avator
Mike

Return to “Huntin Tales”