Ohio Opening Morning 2012

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Ohio Opening Morning 2012

Post by HunterGKS »

I got up about 4:50 this morning with the start of a sore throat & not feeling very well. I went out on the front porch to check the weather & it was fairly cold but the wind was light. I thought about going back to bed but decided that, since it was opening day, I needed to get into the woods if only for a few hours. I got dressed in my deer hunting clothes (warmer than my turkey hunting clothes), drove to my buddy’s, got the 4-wheeler off the truck & loaded. I sat in the truck until 5:45 when I put on my insulated face mask & shooting mittens, & rode back to the woods.

I found an area that looked promising, put out the dekes, set up my blind (it’s not a big blind, just a 12’x3’ piece of camo cloth with stakes, & set up the Gobbler Lounger. This is the 1st time I used the lounger & I really like it. I have a problem with my back leaning against trees so this was a welcome change. I was ready to go a little after 6 & it was already starting to get light.

About 6:15, a single gobble broke the silence. It was the 1st sound I heard in the woods this morning, even before the song birds woke up. It sounded like he was out towards the edge of the woods near where I had parked the 4-wheeler. Tom & I held a conversation until about 6:40 when he shut-up. This must have been when he flew down. About 10 minutes later, he gobbled again, sounding further away. The wind had picked up considerably & it was hard to pinpoint where he was. One gobble it sounded like he was in front & the next way behind me. He responded to everything I said to him but it didn’t sound like he was getting any closer. I even used my gobble tube hoping to PO him & get him coming in. Nothing seemed to work.

Finally, I heard him gobble fairly close in front & to my left. I scouched down a little & got my knees up, putting the butt in the shoulder sling of my vest. I waited & waited & waited, calling a little with no response. I wondered if he had seen my movements & headed out. Then I wondered if he might be sneaking in from behind me. Then, about 15 minutes after the last gobble, I heard a “PFHTT” behind me to my left. Then another, & another. I moved my eyeballs to the left & there he was, in full strut coming towards the dekes. I eased my fingers out of the mitten slot, took off the safety, &, when he stepped behind a tree, moved the gun up & my head down. When he stepped out from behind the tree in half-strut, I sent a load of Federal #7 HeavyWeight Magic Pixie Dust into his noggin & sent him to gobbler heaven at 7:35. He was at 13 paces.

I called Ron & Brian to let them know I had killed a gooder un. I guessed his beard at 10 ½ to 11 inches, spurs at an inch, & weight at 18-19. Actual figures were 10 ¼” beard, 1” spurs, & 22 pounds 14 ounces. Beat last years bird by 14 ounces & now ranks as my heaviest bird. I figure he was a 2 maybe 3 year old bird. Any thoughts on that?

I took the 1st pic while still sitting down. When he stepped behind the tree & stump to the left is when I got ready to shoot.

The battery in my camera died after only 3 pics in the woods. I had swapped out the battery a few days ago & it should have been good. Ticks me off as I had a really good pose with the tail spread & the wings open. I tried to get some better shots at the house but it was way too windy.

I zeroed the scale with the tub on before adding the bird, 22 pounds 14 ounces.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Re: Ohio Opening Morning 2012

Post by MAK »

1" spurs pointed - 3 yr old, but one things for sure - he ain't getting any older...........

heavy, nice bird - great pics - reminds me of PA woods - 73 days for me........sigh.

I'm gonna start strutting soon if i don't get out and take a walk...........
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ohio Opening Morning 2012

Post by HunterGKS »

I was leaning towards 3 but it's nice to get confirmation.

This woods seems to always produce 20+ pounders. In
2014, I killed my heaviest bird there, 24 lbs 10 ozs.

Thx. I did see a g-hog Tues so it's getting closer.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Huntin Tales”