A Squirrel's Tale

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A Squirrel's Tale

Post by HunterGKS »

This happened several years ago when I still lived in Florida. A little set up to start. Three of us went to Citrus WMA for 3 days of squirrel hunting & camping. We had 3 tents set up as well as a couple of tables & the usual camping paraphernalia. Those of you who are familiar with Citrus know that there is a lot of sugar sand & sand dunes. You also know that you don’t want to venture too far off the hard pack. The 2nd day of the trip, we went back to camp for lunch & a siesta. After lunch, Gary went into town to visit with an old friend whose wife had past away 2 months earlier at Christmas time. Tim went into his tent for a nap & I kicked back reading an outdoor type book.

About a half hour later, I noticed a guy walking into camp and, based on the direction he was coming from, I figured he had done something stupid. Sure enough, he had tried to drive his little 4WD rice burner over a dune & teeter-tottered it at the top. He asked if we could help. Tim had a Dodge Ram 2WD but we thought we might be able to help. We went & looked & decided there wasn’t anything we could do to help. He called a wrecking svc & the guy came out with a huge wrecker & couldn’t do anything either. The guy had to contact the state forestry service to have them bring out their small cat 2 days later to pull him off the dune. Must have cost him a small fortune all told.

Now to the Bill Engvall part. As we were talking about his problem, he looked around the camp and asked in all seriousness: “Do you guys really sleep in those tents?” My instant reply: “Nope. We just put them up to make the camp look realistic. We throw our sleeping bags on the ground next to the tents & sleep outside. Here’s your sign!” You can take the boy out of the city but you can’t take the city out of the boy. And yes, we slayed the squirrels with each of us getting our 2 day limits.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

K9Doc

Re: A Squirrel's Tale

Post by K9Doc »

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A Squirrel's Tale

Post by Shooter »

Dang,... THAT is funny!!! :lol: :lol:
HuntnMa