A Fall Turkey Hunt

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A Fall Turkey Hunt

Post by HunterGKS »

This isn't really about a turkey hunt but it did happen after a morning's fall hunt.

My hunting partner and I had a camp in WV that was irresistible to the local population of wood mice. The ceiling was their favorite area and they held races every night, which kept me awake. I'm all for live and let live but they finally got the better of me and I set several traps. We went out hunting that morning and I got back to camp first. I checked the traps and had caught 2 of the little dragsters. I got a couple of pieces of bread and placed the mice between them, carefully tucking in the tails and feet. My buddy gets back and picks up the "sandwich" ready to eat his lunch. I mentioned that it was a dry sandwich and he might want to add some mustard. He lifted the top piece of bread and almost S***T himself!! It's a good thing he's not violent, I was laughing so hard, I fell on the floor and couldn't move. He could have beaten the living daylights outta me & there wasn’t a thing I could have done.

To compound this, I caught 3 more and froze them in a water-filled baggy and hide it in his cooler. He went straight from camp to his mother-in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. She helped him unload his cooler and, YEP, she picked up the baggy, asking what it was. When she realized, she almost filled her drawers too.

I still almost fall out thinking about that “mousewich” and it happened in 1991.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Huntin Tales”