The youth hunt

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
KPcalls

The youth hunt

Post by KPcalls »

A few years back I was in south Florida the same weekend as our La. youth hunt. I felt bad in a way because I wasn't home to take my son on our youth hunt. In had listened for several mornings before leaving for Florida and never heard a bird. After getting back to our motel room that morning I called a friend from home to ask how the youth hunt on the club went. He told me the only turkey that was killed was taken by a boy that our club president Jerry had taken and it was a freaking monster merriam's turkey that weighed 28 lbs. Well,I tried to explain to this guy that there were NO merriam's turkey's in Livingston Louisiana are a turkey that weighed 28lbs. but it was usless. A few minutes after hanging up with him a friend from 40 miles south of our club texted me about this monster turkey that was killed on our club.... :roll: I couldn't wait to get home and hear this story... :lol: A few days later I rode out to the club and I hear the story from several others. One guy had even called this big half white turkey up and yet another had seen his track up on the north end. ... :roll: I finally called Mr. Jerry's son my friend Duane to get the scoup. The turkey ended up being a tame bird that belonged to a elderly lady down the road. Her dog had got ahold of the turkey and messed him up pretty bad so she had asked Jerry to come take care of it for her. Jerry and his youth didn't hear a bird that morning so he took the kid over there and shot the turkey. They then drove back to the club and parked in his favorite hunting area and shot up in the air and took the turkey up to the skinning shed and weighed the monster merriam turkey. I got several text that week asking about the monster turkey and I had fun with every one of them... :lol: There's never a dull moment on our club.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: The youth hunt

Post by Shooter »

Now that's Classic right there! :thumbup:
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Love it!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

:lol: Pretty embarrassing, but I hunted a tame bird 2 mornings in a row a few years back on the edge of the Homochitto. I got in tight on him that second morning, porch light gave him away. He was roosted on top of a chicken coup. It was a pretty rough hike getting to him....can't say I wasn't tempted.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
K9Doc

Post by K9Doc »

That's Classic!!!!
Sounds like you guys have some
"Real" Expert Turkey Hunters in your
Club KP!!!
I myself fell victim to a tame gobbler.
He was gobbling his head off at the end
Of the small rope tied to his leg!!!!!
BrowningGuy88

The youth hunt

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Waddle Whacker wrote::lol: Pretty embarrassing, but I hunted a tame bird 2 mornings in a row a few years back on the edge of the Homochitto. I got in tight on him that second morning, porch light gave him away. He was roosted on top of a chicken coup. It was a pretty rough hike getting to him....can't say I wasn't tempted.
I killed one graveyard dead around 6 years ago. Really foggy morning and he came in strutting and drumming. No gobbling.

He was a bronze and I couldn't really tell that before I shot him. Identified him as a gobbler, a long whiskered strutter, but I was quite surprised when I got over to him. Called the only guy I knew with turkeys and went over and paid him for the turkey.

Return to “Huntin Tales”