Contest

All about the 2012 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Contest

Post by Jaybird »

We will be hashing over the contest in this Forum, so any ideas feel free to contribute your input. I'll be in charge of the contest, and GobblerD will be assisting. Our main goal is to put together the most even contest we can, where EVERY team will have a legit chance of winning. The contest will be for bragging rights, and no prizes, which keeps it fun. Around Janruary 1st we will put up a thread for entries, and anyone interested in being a captain of a team, please pm me. We've had a lot of fun with these contests in the past on other Sites, and it's a good way to get to know other members better. I've ended up hunting with members of my team, and made some good buddies because of the contest, so just for that reason, it was very worthwhile. Size of teams will be determined by how many enter, but looking at 10-12 per team.
ImageImageImage
GobbleNut

Re: Contest

Post by GobbleNut »

I like the contests and, regardless of the rules established, will participate with a smile on my face. I agree that it is important to level the playing field for all participants as much as possible. I think the idea of sorting teams according to numbers of birds killed by individuals will help to balance things. For what it's worth, I will add these thoughts (and stand before the firing squad :) ):
1) If the Harbour (NWTF) scoring system is used, it needs to be acknowledged that this system favors gobblers by subspecies and region. To evenly balance teams, it would also help to have each member be sorted by the average score for the birds they kill (i.e.---if, for example, two guys average three birds a year and one of them kills Easterns having a scoring average of 65 and the other kills Merriams having a scoring average of 50, then those members are not equivalent).
2) Multiple-bearded birds are mainly a function of genetics. Some places they are relatively common, and in others, they are extremely rare. A single, multiple-bearded bird can determine the outcome of the contest. If everybody thinks that is fair, then so be it,.... but in my opinion, multiple-bearded birds should be scored only by the longest beard,....with perhaps a couple of bonus points for each additional beard on the bird.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I think there should be a "Virtual" trophy that that winning team can display. Not a real one. An internet virtual one so folks on the winning team can put it in their sig or print it out and carry it in their wallet. Or frame it. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

"Too soon?"

"To talk about Trophys?"
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

GobbleNut wrote:I like the contests and, regardless of the rules established, will participate with a smile on my face. I agree that it is important to level the playing field for all participants as much as possible. I think the idea of sorting teams according to numbers of birds killed by individuals will help to balance things. For what it's worth, I will add these thoughts (and stand before the firing squad :) ):
1) If the Harbour (NWTF) scoring system is used, it needs to be acknowledged that this system favors gobblers by subspecies and region. To evenly balance teams, it would also help to have each member be sorted by the average score for the birds they kill (i.e.---if, for example, two guys average three birds a year and one of them kills Easterns having a scoring average of 65 and the other kills Merriams having a scoring average of 50, then those members are not equivalent).
2) Multiple-bearded birds are mainly a function of genetics. Some places they are relatively common, and in others, they are extremely rare. A single, multiple-bearded bird can determine the outcome of the contest. If everybody thinks that is fair, then so be it,.... but in my opinion, multiple-bearded birds should be scored only by the longest beard,....with perhaps a couple of bonus points for each additional beard on the bird.
Very good points. As far as Northern vs Southern: Northern state tags are very limited compared to many Southern states. I had to hunt 3 states to get 5 Toms last year, while Alabama guys can shoot 5 just in Alabama. Enables them the opportunity to shoot a lot more birds. I can try to divide up the teams a bit by geography, but using a point sysyem that might be a bit tough, especially if friends request to be on teams together, that live close together. I will try to match up requests where I can, and with a point system this shouldn't be too hard, if it doesn't involve an attempt to load a team. We WILL have the big guns divided up, and the newer hunters divided up.
2) Multiple beards is a tough one. I like being able to score all birds, and a multiple beard is special. Shame not to be able to score it, if you shoot it. However, with balanced teams, this would be a very large difference maker in pulling off a victory in a contest. This one has me stumped as far as an opinion, so we'll have to hash it out or maybe even have a vote. If we do multi beards, we will have knowledgable judges to determine if it's a legal entry. In a contest last year I found out guys, who come across as experienced hunters, really don't have a clue to multibeards. Beards with chunks tore out from fighting or a pair of pliers, isn't a multi beard, and very obvious, yet they were scored. This won't happen here.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I killed two multibeard turkeys last year. I still think it should be the longest beard for the contest. Talk about a level playing field.

Having said that I'm following whatever rules Jay comes up with. He has hunted in other contests on multiple forums and has seen what works and what doesn't work. :thumbup:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Gobbler wrote:I killed two multibeard turkeys last year. I still think it should be the longest beard for the contest. Talk about a level playing field.

Having said that I'm following whatever rules Jay comes up with. He has hunted in other contests on multiple forums and has seen what works and what doesn't work. :thumbup:
Yep,...whatever the bossman comes up with is good by me, too. I have been in some of the other site's contests, as well, and will say that the one on the one forum that has been mentioned here before (hint....two letters, one starting with an O and ending with a G), and that many of us have migrated from, is a complete waste of time in terms of providing that "level playing field". It appears to be good for some people's egos, however.....
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Gobblenut,Are you refering to OLD GUYS.com? :toothy7:

I agree. There is not enough internet memory available so I can't list why that other contest is slightly flawed. :lol: :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Is this contest for the Best Jake? or Best Gobbler??

IM CONFUSED! :scratch: :?
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Turkey Talker wrote:Is this contest for the Best Jake? or Best Gobbler??

The best Jake Gobbler !! :struttin:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

vaturkey wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:Is this contest for the Best Jake? or Best Gobbler??

The best Jake Gobbler !! :struttin:

AWESOME~! So what is our max length on beards? maybe 3 inches?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I think you should be penalized if you shoot a turkey that only has one beard. :struttin: :bootyshake:

Every subspecies and or region seems to have some type of advantage. Osceola's longer spurs, Eastern's weight and multiple beards depending on region, Rio's weight and spurs ect.

Whatever the rules and scoring are going to be they should be simple.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Well said,....and obviously from a very unbiased perspective.... :toothy7:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:D

Thats like having a Football game and only allowing three points for each touchdown and three points for each field goal :scratch: .
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Once again, the logic there is impeccable....
...Or, on the other hand, perhaps it's like saying that the home team's touchdowns are worth eighteen points while the other teams touchdowns are only worth six....and you play all of the games on your home field.....
I suppose it depends on if you are the home team or not....Homeboy
:toothy7: :thumbup: .....
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Man, I am so glad I'm not making the rules. But... I guess if I'm driving up to weigh Guesswho's Gobbler I might as well measure the extra Beards. :turkeywave: :mrgreen:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:lol:
GobbleNut wrote:Once again, the logic there is impeccable....
...Or, on the other hand, perhaps it's like saying that the home team's touchdowns are worth eighteen points while the other teams touchdowns are only worth six....and you play all of the games on your home field.....
I suppose it depends on if you are the home team or not....Homeboy
:toothy7: :thumbup: .....
B&C needs to only allow one antler to be scored on deer if the deer is killed North of I-4 in Florida, got to level out the playing field.
Gobbler wrote:Man, I am so glad I'm not making the rules. But... I guess if I'm driving up to weigh Guesswho's Gobbler I might as well measure the extra Beards. :turkeywave: :mrgreen:
Gobbler, as in singular? I think you forgot the ('s ) :bootyshake: :D

If I kill all Jakes can I just take the total lenght of the beards for my beard score?
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I hear that the price of rice in China went up today..... :alien: :banghead:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Already this Contest ROCKS!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

How great if a Jake got 10 bonus points. Cause no one on here would ever check one in. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

You ain't seen nuttin' yet! Just wait til we start bickerin' about the NWTF!!
:toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

That would be the N"WTF" :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
Roy

Post by Roy »

i vote for myself as a captain
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Roy wrote:i vote for myself as a captain
Mr. Crunch and Mr. Kangaroo made Captain so I don't see why you couldn't.
Double Naught Spy!
Roy

Post by Roy »

still thinking of a comeback :scratch:
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:lol:
I'll be here all night.
Double Naught Spy!