Contest

All about the 2012 Gobbler Nation turkey hunting contest.
YellaJacket

Re: Contest

Post by YellaJacket »

Sounds like a plan! even though sometimes you gotta play these things by ear.. Im sure you guys will get it hammered out :thumbup:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I was seriously thinking about avoiding all contests this year but keep talking. I am listening now.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

YellaJacket wrote:Im sure you guys will get it hammered out :thumbup:
Most of them will just get hammered.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

timbrhuntr wrote:I was seriously thinking about avoiding all contests this year but keep talking. I am listening now.
I think you'll enjoy ours. I've been around these contests for 3 years, and know what screws them up. I should be able to make it a fun thing without the problems. I really like the dang things for pushing me personally to do my very best. I had got lazy over the years, and being I'm very competitive in a team format, I found myself hunting my ass off to not let down my team. Actually made me enjoy getting back to serious Turkey hunting, which I'm thankful for.
ImageImageImage
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

guesswho wrote:
YellaJacket wrote:Im sure you guys will get it hammered out :thumbup:
Most of them will just get hammered.
I kinda figure that involves the consumption of alcohol and not pertaining to turkeys? ;)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Some of them will get hammered by turkeys too :D
Double Naught Spy!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

guesswho wrote:Some of them will get hammered by turkeys too :D
I Gotcha.. :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

9 pages and still no official thread??? :bootyshake: :struttin:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Turkey Talker wrote:9 pages and still no official thread??? :bootyshake: :struttin:
Jan 1st we'll have her up. We really need to increase our membership up quick or we are going to have a real small contest.
ImageImageImage
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Jaybird wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:9 pages and still no official thread??? :bootyshake: :struttin:
Jan 1st we'll have her up. We really need to increase our membership up quick or we are going to have a real small contest.
You better. I need to get on a team quickly so I can add my extensive knowledge base of how to NOT kill a turkey! :lol: :lol:
Heck, Ronnie could be on a team by himself, compile a mountain of smack, and still win!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

The mountain of smack definitely ain't a problem.
Double Naught Spy!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I like the idea of only scoring the longest beard on multi bearded birds. I would suggest only counting the top eight birds on a ten member team for team score. This would ease the pain of striking out. As long as 8 out of ten score, you have a chance! :thumbleft:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The multibeard issue is really a tough one. It's a shame for someone not being able to score one fully if he is fortunate enough to put one down, but at the same time it can really inflate a team score quickly. I'm still open for suggestions or feelings one way or another on that issue.
ImageImageImage
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Jaybird wrote:The multibeard issue is really a tough one. It's a shame for someone not being able to score one fully if he is fortunate enough to put one down, but at the same time it can really inflate a team score quickly. I'm still open for suggestions or feelings one way or another on that issue.
I understand where you are coming from on this Jay, but I believe if a guy puts down a multi-bearded bird, he should be able to enter it.
That is a heck of a trophy, and should be rewarded by being allowed to score it.
What if the hunter doesn't get a chance to tag another bird? They are being punished, and still won't be able to help the team. Loose-loose.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

It is a trophy for sure, and I won't have a problem with all beards being counted. If the teams are divided up somewhat by region, maybe it takes care of the multi-beard problem. I have killed a few double and triple bearded birds, maybe one every three or four years. It will be fun either way.

Do you give any merit to the idea of only scoring birds from say 8 of 10 members? This allows new hunters or those who might not be able to hunt that hard a chance to still be on a winning team.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Can we all agree that jakes will get triple points if member is man enough to post the trophy pics?!?!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Not giving full credit for a multi-beard but giving full credit for a 29 lb. bird or a bird with 1 5/8 inch spurs seems sort of biassed to me.

It seems like every region has some sort of advantage whether it be weight (midwest), spur length (Florida), or multibeards (anywhere). The only way I see that would be fair would be to put a cap on the total score. Say 75 points or whatever, which would be a 21lb. bird with a 12" beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs, helluva bird anywhere. Call it a home run bird or whatever, like a 375 foot home run is just as valuable as a 420 foot home run. Most sports have a maximum score for a single play, touch down six points, home run a max of four points ect. That would take away any advantage for any region and make the high score attainable for anyone anywhere. If your bird falls short of said cap and scores say 67 (still a helluva bird), then you and your team gets the full score of 67 for your bird. If a team mate of yours kills a bird that scores 83 for whatever reason, him/her then your team maxes out with a score of 75 for his bird. I think that would help keep all the teams competitive and make the score of each team members bird critical to the teams success.

And I know there is only one s in biassed just like theres only one in bs. I just added an extra a for visual effect.
Double Naught Spy!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

guesswho wrote:Not giving full credit for a multi-beard but giving full credit for a 29 lb. bird or a bird with 1 5/8 inch spurs seems sort of biassed to me.

It seems like every region has some sort of advantage whether it be weight (midwest), spur length (Florida), or multibeards (anywhere). The only way I see that would be fair would be to put a cap on the total score. Say 75 points or whatever, which would be a 21lb. bird with a 12" beard and 1 1/2 inch spurs, helluva bird anywhere. Call it a home run bird or whatever, like a 375 foot home run is just as valuable as a 420 foot home run. Most sports have a maximum score for a single play, touch down six points, home run a max of four points ect. That would take away any advantage for any region and make the high score attainable for anyone anywhere. If your bird falls short of said cap and scores say 67 (still a helluva bird), then you and your team gets the full score of 67 for your bird. If a team mate of yours kills a bird that scores 83 for whatever reason, him/her then your team maxes out with a score of 75 for his bird. I think that would help keep all the teams competitive and make the score of each team members bird critical to the teams success.

And I know there is only one s in biassed just like theres only one in bs. I just added an extra a for visual effect.
This I like. I also like the part about everyones bird meaning something to the team score. Not just a percent but all meaning something. Not just the guy who kills 10 birds a year but the guy who only gets to kill one.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

guesswho wrote:Not giving full credit for a multi-beard but giving full credit for a 29 lb. bird or a bird with 1 5/8 inch spurs seems sort of biassed to me.

I actually like this idea! vs the one on making the contest a sporting theme. LOL. A maxium on a bird would be a cool idea.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I actually like this idea! vs the one on making the contest a sporting theme. LOL. A maxium on a bird would be a cool idea.
ImageImageImage
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Based on your last two replies you must really like it :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

guesswho wrote:Based on your last two replies you must really like it :lol:
I got home from drinking most of the afternoon watching NFL at the Sports Bar, so I might have to edit my responses tomorrow. :D
ImageImageImage
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I kind of like that idea who. What you are hoping to do is keep one or two lucky bird from putting all the other teams in a race for second and that would do it.

However, in football all td's are worth six points, whether from 99 yards or 9 inches. So by that reasoning every gobbler kill would be scored the same. I guess it could be like little league and all participants get a virtual trophy....lol

I think your max score idea coupled with teams handicapped by experience and region would make a very competitive contest.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

drenalinld wrote:I kind of like that idea who. What you are hoping to do is keep one or two lucky bird from putting all the other teams in a race for second and that would do it.
I had a real good idea but Jay shot it down :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Good for you Jay. You are getting hammered before the contest even starts. Since I just entered retirement at the end of deer season I may just have to join you. CHICKEN WINGS and BEER !!!

Return to “2012 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest”