Latest Pinhoti

Post your favorite YouTube hunting videos here.
2nd100

Re: Latest Pinhoti

Post by 2nd100 »

Several yrs ago on a GA WMA that i still hunt , 5500 acres ,divided by a lake now , 3 of us pulled up to a gate with a truck already there. Got out and asked where the older gentleman planned to hunt , he gave us a specific area , we had planned on another specific area 800 yds past his turnoff point . we all walked in together and split at the trailhead . 1 hr later we were back at the trailhead only hearing the bird the older gentleman was working . walking back to the truck and over 400 yds from the trailhead I cutt on a mouth call 3 Gobblers answered 300 yds away , 100 yds past the gate we had parked at . made our moove on them and got them to 100 yds and they went silent. Whole time the other bird was answering every call , when the 3 shut up the original bird the gentleman was working started moving our way . 20 mins and 500yds away I had my foot on his neck . the turkey left the old guy after over 2 hrs and came well over 500 yds before I killed him . We gave him his spot / didn't call to that bird when we were close / but still ended up killing him . when the bird broke and started coming we talked about what to do , agreed that if the older gentleman was going to kill him he (should have / could have ) done it in the previous 2 hours .
10th Legion legionare !
crow

Post by crow »

2nd100 wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:55 am Several yrs ago on a GA WMA that i still hunt , 5500 acres ,divided by a lake now , 3 of us pulled up to a gate with a truck already there. Got out and asked where the older gentleman planned to hunt , he gave us a specific area , we had planned on another specific area 800 yds past his turnoff point . we all walked in together and split at the trailhead . 1 hr later we were back at the trailhead only hearing the bird the older gentleman was working . walking back to the truck and over 400 yds from the trailhead I cutt on a mouth call 3 Gobblers answered 300 yds away , 100 yds past the gate we had parked at . made our moove on them and got them to 100 yds and they went silent. Whole time the other bird was answering every call , when the 3 shut up the original bird the gentleman was working started moving our way . 20 mins and 500yds away I had my foot on his neck . the turkey left the old guy after over 2 hrs and came well over 500 yds before I killed him . We gave him his spot / didn't call to that bird when we were close / but still ended up killing him . when the bird broke and started coming we talked about what to do , agreed that if the older gentleman was going to kill him he (should have / could have ) done it in the previous 2 hours .

He should of had a trumpet or wingbone
2nd100

Post by 2nd100 »

To bad I didn't tote one back In Those days . that was some old Supreme Turkey calls prototype mouth calls and an Osage Aluminum ( one of one ) I made him jury rig after the drive post in it broke while he was turning it. I made him fix it and its been the end of a many Gobblers ( and Completed slams ) . Ol Stevie calls me the pied piper with that call .
Yep these days they get a healthy dose of ( KP Calls ) Kenny Pendelahore , Matt McClain , L F (Frank ) Cox and Mike Battey ( Wildtalker ) trumpets . I killes my first 3 back in 91 and 92 with a penn woods and give up on them ( and Bowhunting them ) til 4 yrs ago when I picked up the turmpets again and run them 80 % of the time now ..
10th Legion legionare !
Cove

Post by Cove »

SwampDrummin wrote: March 27th, 2020, 11:08 am The guy had been in the afternoon and that’s when the blinds were put up. I actually think he could have handled it with more class. Turkey hunting wise, Those guys didn’t know what they were doing without their blinds and decoys and Dave is a seasoned hunter that hunts what, 75 days season? Not saying it’s right, I have never and will never park and go in on another turkey hunter but I saw that more of an inexperience issue. Dave just looked like asshat to me but then again i’m on the record on this form for saying that there’s something about him I just can’t stand . :LMAO:
Sorry to hear you've formulated such a unfavorable opinion.

And just to confirm, I did suggest to the gentleman to continue to hunt his blind (which he did)- he just didn't like the fact that our starting point for listening was within shotgun range of his blind. I explained that could have been avoided had he not encroached on another hunter, but that we would most likely be on our way as soon as we had a gobble to chase. I put in my time, regardless of how many days I have available to hunt during a season (still looking for the relevance), and was first to the spot. While I do avoid controversy, this was one of those times an explanation was necessary so hopefully the situation could be avoided in the future.

One thing I'm attempting to portray is reality. I (along with many others) have painted the good sides to public land for many moons. But I want to make certain that those who watch the content also understand there are some "not so pretty" aspects to public hunting as well. I'm sure everyone documenting their seasons as I do have had those encounters they've just chosen not to share them- I believe that's a disservice. We had a similar situation during the 2018 season in Alabama. And I'm not recalling the episode where we locked up miles of ground by parking 2 trucks, I'm not sure of a place where that's even possible? Although I have definitely parked multiple trucks before. I'm hoping perhaps if you've followed along for this 2020 season your opinion has changed.

Now, back to searching for some pattern knowledge, my original intent for this visit. :toothy7:
crow

Post by crow »

Heard more turkey trumpet this season which was sounding good

you also had some good gobbler response to your diaphragm Jake yelping when they were hung up on hen talk, good season of hunting and filming
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

And I'm not recalling the episode where we locked up miles of ground by parking 2 trucks, I'm not sure of a place where that's even possible? Although I have definitely parked multiple trucks before. I'm hoping perhaps if you've followed along for this 2020 season your opinion has changed.

Now, back to searching for some pattern knowledge, my original intent for this visit. :toothy7:
[/quote]

maybe he is talking about when you and squirrel were in illinois a few years back and parked at each end of a trail to do a walk through hunt. i dont consider that locking up an area.

the trials and tribulations of the public arena
Cove

Post by Cove »

pedro wrote: August 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm And I'm not recalling the episode where we locked up miles of ground by parking 2 trucks, I'm not sure of a place where that's even possible? Although I have definitely parked multiple trucks before. I'm hoping perhaps if you've followed along for this 2020 season your opinion has changed.

maybe he is talking about when you and squirrel were in illinois a few years back and parked at each end of a trail to do a walk through hunt. i dont consider that locking up an area.

the trials and tribulations of the public arena
[/quote]

If that's the case then you're right. Most definitely wasn't anything locked up about that situation. Just a one-way hunting trip. Where Squirrel almost forgot the keys and then missed a turkey if I'm not mistaken. :banghead:
Cove

Post by Cove »

crow wrote: August 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm Heard more turkey trumpet this season which was sounding good

you also had some good gobbler response to your diaphragm Jake yelping when they were hung up on hen talk, good season of hunting and filming
I really like that trumpet sound. It took some tweakin' but eventually started getting some sounds I was happy with- then the trick became being consistent. That one I'm still working on. Hah!
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

Cove wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:49 pm
crow wrote: August 16th, 2020, 11:00 pm Heard more turkey trumpet this season which was sounding good

I really like that trumpet sound. It took some tweakin' but eventually started getting some sounds I was happy with- then the trick became being consistent. That one I'm still working on. Hah!
you using a Buice? Also, I assume you have more episodes from this spring....is your plan to share them next year right before the spring? Enjoy watching your hunts
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

gaswamp wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:03 am

you using a Buice? Also, I assume you have more episodes from this spring....is your plan to share them next year right before the spring? Enjoy watching your hunts
Prudhomme
Cove

Post by Cove »

gaswamp wrote: August 18th, 2020, 7:03 am

My trumpets are from Mark Prudhomme. And yes, I have another months worth of footage I'm holding until January. So there is still a lot to come from 2020. Appreciate ya following along.

Return to “GNTV”