Any waterfowlers in here?

everything except turkey & deer
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Any waterfowlers in here?

Post by pullit »

I love to hunt ducks and the only thing I like better is turkey but it is a very close second.

I have even played with making my own duck calls, if I had only known how hard that was to make them, and have every little thing changes the whole world I would have never done it, but it is cool when you get it right and kill ducks with your own calls.

I made my own jig as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

I hope we have a bunch LoL.
savduck

Post by savduck »

jrseale82 wrote:Yeah it was a mottled duck that was banded. We had 5 or 6 more ducks in the other boat that was with us that morning that left before the picture was taken. I killed the eurasion the day before in the same spot.
Where are you at. That mixed bag with the mottes is screaming to me LA, TX, or SC. The spartina is really screaming SC .
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Just pulled out the calls as you all have inspired me.. Ran through clucks, double clucks, spit, quick spit, murmers and a bunch of moans which everyone calls different things.. Dog could not quit howling must have hit em right :roll:
jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

SC would be correct!
toasty

Post by toasty »

That euarsion is awesome.

Well, since we're posting up pics, here are some of my favorites over the last couple years including some of bufflehead shots.

Last edited by toasty on August 2nd, 2012, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I always wait until the big red legged Mallards come down from Canada in Nov. and then do my duck shooting.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
savduck

Post by savduck »

Man, I'm a turkey nut, but I love the ducks. Digging all the pictures.....keep em coming
ChiefBubba

Post by ChiefBubba »

Here's a few from my last year. Chief.

Some nice Texas Redheads.

Some Texas Snows.

A nice Everglades Ringer with my custom made Bluebill decoy.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

pullit wrote:I love to hunt ducks and the only thing I like better is turkey but it is a very close second.

I have even played with making my own duck calls, if I had only known how hard that was to make them, and have every little thing changes the whole world I would have never done it, but it is cool when you get it right and kill ducks with your own calls.

I made my own jig as well.

I would like to make a duck call one of these days but don't know where to start. Nice looking calls.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

OMG They are proposing a Sep 29 to Dec 29 goose season plus the 15 day early season. I am gonna be spent
savduck

Post by savduck »

BrentM wrote:Nice pics Savduck...........that big bluewing is almost as big as those gadwalls. We hardly ever see those here until after the season goes out. I've never hunted there, but I've always been told the Atlantic flyway had tons of black ducks. Is that still the case?

Brent, i didnt even see this. There are tons up in the northeast. i have killed some hunting with buddies in KY and WV. A few make it down to GA and SC. I kill a half dozen or so mottled ducks, the southern black duck, every year. Here are a few to wet your whistle.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

We kill some blacks not a ton but a handful each year.. They are kinda like a bonus when field hunting..

We have a local lake that has more black ducks than I have seen in one spot.. Yup about half have bands.. The city or dnr feed them in areas to keep them off folks lawns.. They never ever leave the lake. :cry:
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

toasty wrote:Image
Is that a Poke Boat?
BrentM

Any waterfowlers in here?

Post by BrentM »

I like shooting those blacks in the timber. When they decide they want in a place they're coming and there really isn't much you can do to stop them
We can only shoot one a day here though, so you have to be careful at first light when they're coming in mixed with mallards
toasty

Post by toasty »

Treerooster wrote:
toasty wrote:Image
Is that a Poke Boat?
Yes, love that little boat. It is a fiberglass 12'. Weighs about 38lbs. I picked it up for $200 3 blocks from my house 6 or 7 years ago. Sometimes you just luck out.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Thought so. :D I got the Maxi.

Love mine too. They can get you places others can't go.

Neat to be sitting right in among the dekes sometimes too. Sota gives you a decoy-eyed view of the ducks coming in.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Treerooster wrote: Love mine too. They can get you places others can't go.
I can draft in about 3" of water. I'm still floating and can barely get the paddles in the water to get me going. They are a good trade off vs a long nasty walk in knee or waste high mud. I have a stream that just floats me into the geese. I lean forward to reduce my profile and hold still until they jump and then pick the geese I want to shoot. I also use it to jump shoot ponds that offer a good sneak. I like the camo on your boat, looks a lot better than mine.
savduck

Post by savduck »

BrentM wrote:I like shooting those blacks in the timber. When they decide they want in a place they're coming and there really isn't much you can do to stop them
We can only shoot one a day here though, so you have to be careful at first light when they're coming in mixed with mallards

i have buddies that have kill them north of guntersville. We can only shoot either one mottle or one black. They come in pairs a bunch so me and my duck partnet usually both get our bird.

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”