Any waterfowlers in here?

everything except turkey & deer
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Any waterfowlers in here?

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

September 1st is coming quick.. I gotta get my arse in gear...
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Any waterfowlers in here?

Post by Hoobilly »

look out for black widows in the dekes...

I am kinda getting excited to shoot some geese this Sept. yeehawww
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote:look out for black widows in the dekes...

I have not picked up a goose call since last season :oops: I used to practice year round but turkey calls are more appealing..

Might have to get me a new call to re ignite the fire..
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Anybody ever figured out a good way to cook geese? I love ducks but geese are kind of another story
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

BrentM wrote:Anybody ever figured out a good way to cook geese? I love ducks but geese are kind of another story
I too love duck, I think I prefer it over venison even when cooked right..

Geese :oops: Everyone I know, has some fantastic recipe for goose that they just love and than when you offer them some, they dont want it :scratch:

We jerky most of ours and also have some made into brats or summer sausage it is very good this way.. If you take all the bloodshot areas out you cannot distinquish it from venison jerky..
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
hoobilly wrote:look out for black widows in the dekes...

I have not picked up a goose call since last season :oops: I used to practice year round but turkey calls are more appealing..

Might have to get me a new call to re ignite the fire..
I got a Knight and Hale Gobble call that sounds like a Canadian Honker. Its yours for shipping and Handling and a small administrative fee. :D
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

BrentM wrote:Anybody ever figured out a good way to cook geese? I love ducks but geese are kind of another story

:D cook them in the BBQ on a 2 inch thick slab of wet cedar wood,
throw the goose out and eat the wood.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Our little group of 4 used to hunt them relentlously, would kill 150-200 a season.
Haven't set up for them in 10 yrs. but thought I would give it a try this season but prefer a Mallard over a goose anyday.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
toasty

Post by toasty »

I only turkey hunt to pass the time until waterfowl season. (Can I say that on a turkey forum?)

All ducks and geese taste the same to me and all get the same treatment. Smoked with alder mixed with hickory and made into jerky. I do cook 1 meal a year with them wrapped in bacon and I like them that way, but the rest of family still won't eat them until they are in jerky form.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

I can't imagine putting ducks in jerkey, but after You blasphemed turkey hunting like that I have to question your scruples anyway :D
Sautéed wood ducks and runny eggs for breakfast after a morning shoot is a delicacy of the highest order as far as I'm concerned. I do have a crock pot recipe that makes geese taste pretty good, but it seems like you have to cook them for about a day and a half to ever get them to that point..........eventually they just take on the taste of whatever you put in there with them
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

toasty wrote: All ducks and geese taste the same to me and all get the same treatment.
A couple guys in our crew put the absolute beatdown on Old Squaw and they too claim it tastes well if prepared right.. Not for this guy, if I want fish, I will eat Walleye, perch or bluegill. .
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I have chased them pretty hard the last several years. Haven't picked up my calls since season. Geese do make great summer sausage!
savduck

Post by savduck »

Man, Im ready hope early teal is as good this year as last. Not a lot of water holes. Hoping to catch them in the rivers. My puddler numbers have nose dived the last couple years down here in the arm pit of the Atlantic flyway, but I managed to find a few. Thank goodness for early teal and divers. They saved our season. We killed about 140 total all season from my boat. I usually hunt with one guy, but every now and again I have a third buddy that joins. I got laid off the day before early teal and my new job told me to take two weeks off before reporting....so I made about 10 straight teal hunts, my partner is retired so we got on them pretty good. Been eating good all year.

some of our better hunts.

My best hunting partner. The only one thats held his seat for 8 years
toasty

Post by toasty »

Looks light you like the buffleheads. Those little things are hard to hit, one of the fastest flying ducks you'll ever encounter, those things turn on a dime and change direction like doves.

My favorite is the pic of the nice mature blue wing teal. I've never seen a late season bird here, but we do get mature red cinnamon teal in late January that look spectacular. If I ever shot a blue wing like that, it would go on the wall.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Love the pics Del. Wish I could kill one of them drake bluewings. Tom are you going to post honker pics with your girl on a regular basis? I hope I can handle the stress.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

Nice pics Savduck...........that big bluewing is almost as big as those gadwalls. We hardly ever see those here until after the season goes out. I've never hunted there, but I've always been told the Atlantic flyway had tons of black ducks. Is that still the case?
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

I get after them pretty hard. Missouri wont open until first part of October, so I still have some time to get some heads reflocked. Last year we crock potted pulled goose sandwiches. Or put them on the slicer for goose fajitas.
savduck

Post by savduck »

i like shooting the buffleheads. They are a sporting little duck. Very tough, they can tote some shot. We shot that bluewing the last day of the season at about 2 Pm. It was unseasonably warm here and they were on the way back from Florida. Ive only killed two fully plumed out like that. he was beautiful.

Here is the other one.

Here you go toasty couple bufflehead killing videos

jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

Here are a few pics from my season last year. All public hunting in the local rivers.

tiggere

Post by tiggere »

getting ready...

Only killed woodies so far but looking to change that this year...
jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

Brent I wouldnt say they are not plentyful but we have out share, about the same as mottled ducks. We pick up a few every year.
savduck

Post by savduck »

jrseale82 wrote:Here are a few pics from my season last year. All public hunting in the local rivers.

Man that Eurasion widegeon is awesome. Banded mottle?

Another good Southern State Atlantic flyway harvest.
jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

Yeah it was a mottled duck that was banded. We had 5 or 6 more ducks in the other boat that was with us that morning that left before the picture was taken. I killed the eurasion the day before in the same spot.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

TRKYHTR wrote:Love the pics Del. Wish I could kill one of them drake bluewings. Tom are you going to post honker pics with your girl on a regular basis? I hope I can handle the stress.

TRKYHTR
Like this Joe.. This was our best Sept shoot last year..You Might have to wait till Oct for pics our 15 day Sept season is bad anymore.. Wasn't that long ago our crew would swat a couple hundred in that season.. Now we are lucky to have a couple hundred locals.. Wonder Why :lol: Image

Joe weren't you saying you have never field hunted geese? Man o man I can have a pond with 500 mallards and I will pass on it for a field with geese.. Now when we get in a field with a bunch of geese and pile of mallards :cheers:

Our crew is slowly falling apart with guys getting married :banghead: having kids and would rather close down the bar than get up and kill em.. :argue:

We had an amazing oct and nov on the honks last year we limited 92% of the time.. Geese were literally committing suicide bowing up and centering.. Sal and I and sometimes another ran 10 days straight on limits wishing for 4-5 more guys..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Man you all are lucky to get into the teal.. We are a huge nesting area for BW, but those are some Sissy ducks and get the heck out of here before season. We kill some greenwings but never really get into what I would call a teal shoot..

Buffleturds, I remember my first time shooting them.. A group came swung down the line got to the blockers and all bunched up.. I thought Oh what the heck, slapped the trigger.. Could not believe it, flock shooting actually worked as ducks fall to the water.. I am on cloud nine with my Tom Knapp Moment.. After doing this twice, my buddy did not find it too amusing.. :lol:

Those buffleturds are a tough little duck, man can they absorb some shot..

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”