Day 12 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 12 of the 2020 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I had some chainsaw work to do in “my” deer woods this morning & headed out about 06:40.
The sun was just starting to rise when I got to the woods. It was 54, calm, & clear.
001.jpg
It took about 30 minutes to clear the 4-wheeler trail, remove the limbs from the area where
I hang my trail cam, & get the cam hung. I didn’t realize how humid it was until I was done.
I was soaking wet. I got sat down at 07:50. I kept hearing loud popping sounds but couldn’t
figure out what it was. I thought maybe a red was cutting walnuts & letting them drop with
the nuts hitting limbs on the way down but I didn’t hear the thud when they hit the ground.
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
I did hear a red squawking in the same area &, at 08:36, it did come down to visit at about 8’.
The sound would last for a few minutes & stop for 10-15 minutes & start again. This went on
all morning.

At 09:19, a fox showed up in front & to my left. It was well within range but sat there with its
back to me & its tail up. I could have shot it but the .17 would have demolished it. It moved
into a dead fall & stopped with a small branch between me & its head. It moved off into the
underbrush never to be seen again.

At 09:27, another bushy appeared on my left but went to the back side of a large tree out of
sight. I kept watch & it came out into the open giving me a very tight shot window. She literally
lost her head to me.
006.jpg

That .17 HMR is destructive. When I skinned her, the head came off, the head was gone & the spin
severed.
007.jpg
The popping, cracking sound had been getting louder & 1 crack sounded exactly like a rifle shot.
I was up & behind a tree looking for someone. Seeing nothing, I sat back down & the same thing
happened. I was starting to get concerned & did some investigating.

I found the source. It was a tree that had shattered about 30’ up. The cracking was coming from
that tree itself as well as the smaller trees that were holding it up. I wasn’t in any danger if it had
fallen except probably needing a change of shorts. It won’t hit my deer blind when/if it does come
down.
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
I headed to lunch at 10:45 with the temp up to 74, breezy, clear skies & very sunny.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”