Dead Coyote

everything except turkey & deer
poorcountrypreacher

Dead Coyote

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Not the shells, I'm talking about an actual dead coyote. 😀

I was running the bush hog in the field beside the house when he came out in it and started walking around like he owned the place. He acted like I wasn't even there. I thought if I went to the trouble of going to the house for a gun he would run off, but after about 30 minutes it was obvious he wasn't leaving.

I went to the house and got a 12 gauge 11-87 and decided to load it with 1 oz TSS #8 duck loads. He seemed to notice me when I got about 50 yds away, so I let him have it from there. Dropped him on the spot.

Every coyote that I've ever shot with TSS #8 or 9 has gone down right there. If I were going to hunt specifically for them I think I would try #7. I have been surprised that the coyote hunters posting here use such large shot, but I'm sure they have a lot bigger sample size than I do.

Just wondering, has anyone shot one with the smaller TSS shot and had him get away?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Dead Coyote

Post by Hoobilly »

I would think that 7's would easily take one down at 90+ yards
good shooting!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nicely done! I love pictures of dead coyotes!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
kythunter

Post by kythunter »

:thumbup:
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

WTG preacher!!! I’ve had them do that several times when running a bush hog!!! I always say get them anyway, and anyhow you can!!! :thumbup:
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

Coyotes are not that hard to kill if you can shoot them in the head, neck or ribs. A good coyote load needs to be able to break a coyote down when the coyote is running straight away from the shooter.

The KPY Shotshell Ballistics software says to use 2.50" of gel penetration for big geese. I want 3.70" of gel penetration to reliably stop or breakdown coyotes.

When I first started calling coyotes and shooting them with a shotgun I found out real quick that lead BB shot worked pretty good on coyotes running away but lead #2 shot did not work at all. The lead #2 shot didn't have enough weight or energy to breakdown or kill coyotes when the shot angle was bad. Lead #2 shot will work on coyotes if you are always shooting them in the head, neck or ribs.

#2 lead shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 19.6 yards
#7 TSS shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 31.3 yards
#4 TSS shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards with 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

If you are buying TSS shot just for coyotes I would go with TSS #2, #3 or #4 shot. 70 pellets or more will give you enough pellets to have a good dense pattern for coyotes, 100 pellets is even better.
Foxpro Field Staff
chipper

Post by chipper »

Buddy of mine shot one last year a little under 40 with one of Hal's 2 oz. Load of 9's, He never knew what hit him.
Attachments
5713.jpeg
crow

Post by crow »

nice job and good shooting
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

derbyacresbob wrote: October 16th, 2018, 1:46 pm Coyotes are not that hard to kill if you can shoot them in the head, neck or ribs. A good coyote load needs to be able to break a coyote down when the coyote is running straight away from the shooter.

The KPY Shotshell Ballistics software says to use 2.50" of gel penetration for big geese. I want 3.70" of gel penetration to reliably stop or breakdown coyotes.

When I first started calling coyotes and shooting them with a shotgun I found out real quick that lead BB shot worked pretty good on coyotes running away but lead #2 shot did not work at all. The lead #2 shot didn't have enough weight or energy to breakdown or kill coyotes when the shot angle was bad. Lead #2 shot will work on coyotes if you are always shooting them in the head, neck or ribs.

#2 lead shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 19.6 yards
#7 TSS shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 31.3 yards
#4 TSS shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards with 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

If you are buying TSS shot just for coyotes I would go with TSS #2, #3 or #4 shot. 70 pellets or more will give you enough pellets to have a good dense pattern for coyotes, 100 pellets is even better.
you are correct on running away shots. I haven't shot at but one running away and it was during this past spring turkey hunt. Missed it with a big whiff and number 8's. if I wouldnt have missed it was so close no doubt it would have rolled it. Pattern hit out front of it as I was swinging to far forward on the shot. 25 yards maybe a little further
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Guaranteed. Good shot. Love killin them jokers.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

WTG PCP!
Roy

Post by Roy »

A2361496-B31B-48CD-8521-E8929250D095.jpeg
Shot this coyote with 12 gauge lead
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”