TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Fl strutter

Re: Opening day Alabama doves

Post by Fl strutter »

Floured n fried or bacon wrapped n grilled. I like em better than any wild game!
aclawrence

Post by aclawrence »

I stunk it up today and only shot three. I’m seriously blaming it on my gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Nice mess! Hoping to get on some good dove action here soon
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Nice!

After yesterday, I'm looking for a sub-gauge dove club for next year. I used to use a skeet choke and 20 gauge or improved with a 12 at most. Now...I shouldn't have to switch to full choke to reach them on the second shoot of the season. Or shoot them again on the way down just to make sure nobody claims my bird.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. :lol:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

That's pretty good for a three man hunt.

howl,

I'm probably the worst shot in the group of guys I hunt dove with. These fellows use .410, 28's and a few of them use 12 gauges. I shoot 20 or 16. They all hunt every few years in Argentina which will make most anyone a great dove shot. A week of dove hunting in Argentina exposes one to numbers of shootable birds most don't see in a lifetime of dove hunting. One field owner where I shoot won't ask anyone back who sky busts birds. Folks on the field edges can be the worst offenders in taking long shots. If you let them come in, they will usually drop altitude and the guys on the edges can get them coming out of the field when they are lower. Not so if they are sky busted coming into the field. One man has two hunts in a row on his sunflower field and he has been doing it for decades. First shoot was Labor Day, second shoot was the next day, Tuesday. To ensure more than one good shoot, he has a 10 bird limit; the other fields I shoot, a 12 bird limit. The state limit is 15 birds. These guys who own the land spend thousands of dollars in planting fields for dove and not production. The opening day field I shot was corn, sunflower and benne. The sunflowers are dropping seed and one row of corn per row was silage chopped onto bare ground. There are no weeds in the field. This field is surrounded by a permanent high fence to keep deer and coons out. 30 acres of prime dove field. These two field owners assign stands and recognize that some stands are better than others. Once a limit is reached, someone takes the shooter's hot spot. I can't stand going to a first come first served field for shooting positions.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I was nodding my head reading that whole thing. Hats off to those who run a shoot right and those who shoot like sportsmen.

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”