Day 3 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 3 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I got to the woods at 07:15 this morning. On the way to the woods, I saw at least 4 deer heading into the west section & at least 2 more when I got to where I park. It was 71, clear, still, & very humid.

At 07:36, I spotted a fox in the large tree in front of me & to my right. I watched it for 15 minutes but it never gave me a shot before it disappeared. At 07:40, the breeze picked up. At 08:08, a bushy showed up on the lowest branch of the slingshot tree in front & to my left. The .17 once again did its job. At 08:10, the fox to my right came back out but again disappeared with no shot.

At 08:45, I decided to take a walk-about to check several hickories going through the west section. I got to the west end & walked along the south edge until I got back to the east section. I went in at the SW corner & made it about 30’ before a log stopped me abruptly. I was stepping over the log & didn’t get my right leg high enough & down I went. I can usually move in such a way as to keep any gun I’m holding from hitting the ground but not this time. I went down & the .17 bounced on the ground twice. After checking all my extremities & found every thing working, I though to myself, self, I thought: “OH CRAP!!!! I KNOCKED THE SCOPE OFF!!!!” I got to the east end, found a plastic pop bottle, set it up, & walked off 60’. I took a rest & knocked the cap off the bottle. Crisis averted!!

I go back to my spot & sat down at 09:15, hot & sweaty. I headed in to lunch at 10:30 with the temp up to 88.

On the way to another woods after lunch, I stopped & visited with my niece, her hubby, & 3 year old Cora who hates bugs but seems to like dead squirrels. Where I sit in the next woods is in a bottom, so I figured it would be cooler than the 91 where I parked at 01:45 with sunny skies & a slight breeze.

At 03:07, I though I heard some cutting behind me across the creek but wasn’t sure as it was very light & not a great deal. After hearing it 3 times, I decided to get up, move to the edge of the creek, & see if I could find what was making the sound. Almost immediately I saw a fox moving in the same small area. It stopped several times but always had its back to me or the head was hidden. I kept the scope on it & finally, at 03:09, it stopped with only its head showing. The .17 barked & the squirrel thudded on the ground. Now, how to cross the creek without getting my feet wet. Luckily, there was a spot where I could cross with a really long step & hop.

With the score at 1 male this morning & 1 female this afternoon, I decided to head in at 04:30. I’m not as young as I was yesterday & the heat got to me, still at 91. Tomorrow is a work-out, gas up, run errands, mow the yard, & cook up a batch of foxes in a new recipe. Hopefully I'll get it posted up tomorrow evening.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Re: Day 3 of the 2018 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by MAK »

Good job George
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: September 4th, 2018, 7:09 amGood job George
Thx.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Seems like the fall yesterday did do some minor damage. I am sore pretty much every where
but especially my right wrist. It's not as if I needed an excuse to not work out this morning
but the wrist might do the trick.
George

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

We ought to make quite a Pair walking through the Turkey woods this October! I had a Limb Jump up and Trip me the other day and almost broke my Glasses! :violent1:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: September 4th, 2018, 12:32 pm We ought to make quite a Pair walking through the Turkey woods this October! I had a Limb Jump up and Trip me the other day and almost broke my Glasses! :violent1:
It's hell getting old!! BTW, I gots 2 nice, head-shot bushies in the freeze for Da Bosses friggin seed squirrel dish.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Well glad you bout half ok after the fall. Hope ya wrist gets better. Got to because you got more foxes to kill.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: September 4th, 2018, 8:53 pm Well glad you bout half ok after the fall. Hope ya wrist gets better. Got to because you got more foxes to kill.
Thx. The wrist is just sore & didn't stop me from working out. DANG IT!!!!
May get out tomorrow as it's supposed to be a lot cooler than the 90s the last few days.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: September 4th, 2018, 8:53 pm Well glad you bout half ok after the fall. Hope ya wrist gets better. Got to because you got more foxes to kill.
Thx. The wrist is just sore & didn't stop me from working out. DANG IT!!!!
May get out tomorrow as it's supposed to be a lot cooler than the 90s the last few days.
George

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I didn’t get to the gym yesterday, either.
That makes it 812 days in a row! :D
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”