A good reason to kill raccoons!

everything except turkey & deer
decoykrvr

A good reason to kill raccoons!

Post by decoykrvr »

I was deer hunting the other day, and watched a large coon cruising the hardwoods. The coon went up a large oak and when it reached the top, I saw it tearing up a squirrels nest. An adult squirrel launched itself out of the tree and hit the ground about 45 yards from my stand. I could see the coon ripping apart the nest through the leaves and launched a Hornady 300 gr. XTP to the top of the oak. Note: If you plan on eating a raccoon, don't shoot it with a 300 gr. XTP. I've passed on a bunch of does and small bucks this muzzleloader season, but have scored with two shots on a coon and coyote. A biologist I used to work with told me this summer, that if you don't put predator guards on all nest boxes, ie., woodduck, bluebird, etc., all you are doing is feeding the coons, since they have documentated that coons cruise nesting boxes as a component of their daily feeding rounds and have resulted in a loss of screach owls, ducks and song birds. They may be the cutest small mammal in the woods, especially when young, but kill every raccoon which you encounter while in the woods to preserve other small game and turkeys.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A good reason to kill raccoons!

Post by OLE RASPY »

I AGREE. IM FIXIN TO START. I’ve killed several as target of opportunity’s but I’m fixin start trapping them.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Fella told me one time the only sporting way to kill a coon was to make it fall out and fight the dogs. Heck with that. Too much invested in a good tree dog to let a coon rip it up. I tie the dog back and shoot for the brain.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I trap and release/relocate on my property, everyone I can :stir: :LMAO: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A friend's brother, who is a teacher and tree hugger from Rhode Island, was live trapping on his property a large problem raccoon w/ a mangled left ear and hauling it away. The first time he took it about a mile away and the coon was back in his garbage within 6 hours. He called my friend's husband Charlie, a biologist I worked with, and told him what had occurred and said that he was sure that it was the same coon due to the mangled ear, and "The way that it looked at him!" Charlie told him to change the food in the trap, try again, and it successful to shoot or drown the coon. Well, the bold coon ended up in the trap within a couple of days, and this time he hauled him off @ 5 miles away. It took him less than a day to make it "back home". Charlie called me laughing his ass off and said that a coon with a mangled let left was smarter than his brother-in-law, a teacher w/ a Masters Degree who finally gave up trying to trap the coon since it had figured out the trap and was robbing it at will to get his favorite cat food and sardines.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

That’s funny chit. I won’t be catching and releasing. I’ll be catching(hopefully) and dispatching
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”