No Turkey, 1 Squirrel, Several Deer....OH MY!!!!

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

No Turkey, 1 Squirrel, Several Deer....OH MY!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

Days 57 & 60 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Day 57 Young’s Woods 10/27/2017 P.M.

I hit the woods at 12:30 with clear skies, a temp of 65, & windy. Nothing moved except me at 02:00 to my deer stand. The wind had really picked up so I cleared some shooting lanes for deer season, swapped out the card in my trail cam & headed home at 03:00.

Day 60 Brad’s Mom’s Woods 10/30/2017 A.M.

After a DDS appt, I got to the woods at 08:45, cloudy, 36, & very windy. I had swapped the .17 for my 1100 & 3” high brass #6s in case a turkey happened by. I walked back to the south side & decided it was too windy & cold to sit. I did walk to the edge of the woods & spotted 2 nice bucks in the green field at the far SE corner of the west section of woods. I couldn’t determine points but 1 was wide & the other tall.

I walked back to the north & sat in a spot on the north side of the west section. I sporadically sent out some kee-kees & yelps hoping for a response. At 09:24, I thought I heard some clucks behind me to my right. I twisted around & watched but never saw or heard anything else. Probably wishful hearing. At 09:35, it started to snow, not much & it didn’t stick just a little here & a little there. At 09:42, a bushy showed up in a brush pile to my right & asked for a ride home in my truck, which a gladly provided. At 09:55, a deer blew further to my right & a yearling walked in about 30 yards from me. It knew I was there but didn’t know what I was. It just kept looking at me & bobbing her head a little. It walked behind a blow down & came out at 20 yards, still looking & bobbing. After about 10 minutes, it wandered off back the way it had come, blowing twice but never flagging.

At 10:15, I decided to take a walk to try to find a turkey or squirrel but only found deer. The story with pics is here:

Deer & Rubs & Scrapes..........OH MY!!!!

I got back to the truck at 11:45 & the temp was still 36 & very windy so I headed in to have lunch with a couple of friends at Pete’s.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”