Day 41 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 41 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Brad’s Mom’s Woods 10/11/2017 A.M.

It was very overcast & dreary this morning so I really wasn’t in much of a rush to get into the woods as I knew it would still be dark inside. I pulled into my parking spot at 08:30. As I was getting ready, I looked to the east & saw 6 deer walking north along the edge of the east section of woods. I set the scope at 9x & still had a hard time telling what they were because of the light fog & mist but, based on size & posture, I think they were does & fawns.

I got back to my spot & got set-up. It was 63, overcast & a little breezy. I sat down at 08:37, looked in front of me, & saw something moving up a small sapling. I though it might have been a coon based on the perceived size but when I put the scope on it & watched it move from the tree to a limb of a tree top in the brush pile, I took the shot & put a nice male fox on the ground at 08:39. I have never had any hunt result in a kill in less than 2 minutes!! I think he was foraging on the ground under the brush pile & got a little antsy when I arrived. As I set up the chair & got ready, he must have gotten more concerned & decided to take to the trees which turned out to be a fatal mistake.

At 09:04, I heard a noise in the trees behind me & saw a fox moving around. There are still a lot of leaves on & I never got a clear shot. I watched for about 15 minutes but saw nothing.

At 10:00, the wind had picked up & it was getting chilly. I was debating heading out. I always carry an Under Armour beanie in my jacket pocket so I put it on & it helped a lot. Since most of your body heat is lost through your head, the beanie did its job. Turns out that staying was a good decision as, at 10:16, a bushy ran along a log in the brush pile towards me. I followed it in the scope & it stopped just long enough for a shot. The way it reacted, I thought I had missed. It jumped off the log, started up a sapling, dropped back to the ground, & ran along the log into the brush pile. I watched for it to reappear and/or go up a tree but say nothing. I decided to slip to the pile & see if I could get it to move. It’s a good thing I did as I saw it laying on the ground under a bunch of limbs & branches. All I had to do was clear away the brush & pick up another nice male.

At 10:28, I saw something moving in the winter wheat field along the edge of the west section of woods. I though I knew what it was but got out my monocular, went to the edge of the woods & my suspicions were confirmed, 5 hens.

At 11:10, a flock of crows arrived & started screaming their heads off. I though maybe they had spotted a coyote & started looking. At 11:11. I heard something to my left, turned my head, & there stood the 5 hens. I think they saw my head move but weren’t sure what I was. They milled around for a minute or 2 then started moving west into the woods on the far side of the brush pile. They scratched & pecked before moving off to the NW & out of sight at 11:19. I hope they will be around starting Sunday as my county will have a fall season for the 1st time since I moved back 14 years ago.

I headed out at 12:00 but decided to take a walk along the woods edge & checkout the east section. The hungeries finally got to me & I headed home at 12:30, temp = 68.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 41 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by OLE RASPY »

2 more for the crock pot
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Nice. I'd be checking out those mushrooms with a good guide book too. Those look like oysters to me.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:04 pm 2 more for the crock pot
:thumbup: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

OLE RASPY wrote: October 11th, 2017, 8:04 pm 2 more for the crock pot
:thumbup: :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”