Day 23 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 23 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Mike’s Woods 09/23/2017 A.M.

It was a really nice morning to be in the woods, 66, calm, & clear. At 07:59, a red scampered past in front of & then around to my left, & into the underbrush. At about 08:30, I saw a large bird moving through the woods near the south edge. It would land in a tree, sit for several minutes, and then move to another tree, continuing this until it flew out of sight. I couldn’t tell what it was but thought maybe a hawk.

Between 09:00 & 09:55, I leaned against a tree on the edge of the pond. About 20 minutes after I got there, the blue jays started going nuts, screaming & yelling like they had lost their collective minds. There were at least 8-10 of them. At 1st, I thought they were POed because I was there. Then I caught motion in my right peripheral & turned my head to see a large bird land on a branch about 10’ up a tree & 15’ from me. My 1st thought was a hawk until it turned its head & I saw that it was a Barred Owl. The jays kept hollering & the owl seemed to ignore them although it did pivot its head several times. It knew I was there as it looked directly at me numerous times. At 1 point, it spread its left wing & started preening, at which point, a jay dive bomber it & actually struck it on its shoulder, which made the owl flinch but nothing more. Just a few minutes later, a jay again bombed it, hitting it on the head. This happened several times. The owl eventually turned on the branch & faced me. It almost seemed as if we locked eyes several times. About 25 minutes after I saw it, my T-cell ran out of butane so I headed back walking away from the owl. The owl was still sitting there when I moved out of sight. This is a prime example of why I love to spend time in the woods. It’s not every day you get to experience something like this.

By the time I got back to my spot, it was really starting to warm up. At 10:02, a fox walked past me on my right at 15’ & jumped up on the dead log in front of me. I got the .17 up but couldn’t get a clear head shot before he moved to a tree directly in front of me & went up the back side. I saw branches bouncing in the tops & moved to try & get a shot but never saw it. At 10:25, another fox passed on my right at 10’ but busted me, ran to & up the back of the same tree. I could see it bouncing branches & it seemed to be staying in the same spot so, again, I moved but didn’t see it to get a shot.

By 11:00, it was warmer than I like so I headed home with the temp at 82, clear, & calm.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 23 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

WWWWWW WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....... :o

U B warmer than we R :lol:

The leaves on your trees are just going to dry up and fall off this year :banghead:

Hang in there and it'll cool down, but no rain, next week :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 23 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: September 23rd, 2017, 5:19 pm WWWWWW WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....... :o

U B warmer than we R :lol:

The leaves on your trees are just going to dry up and fall off this year :banghead:

Hang in there and it'll cool down, but no rain, next week :thumbup:
I just checked the 10-day, & it looks like there will be a big change starting next Thursday with only a slight
chance of rain. Most of the leaves are still really green with very few falling. Drop leaves, DROP!!!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”