Days 2 & 3 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Days 2 & 3 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 2

I had planned on getting up at 05:30 & hitting the woods behind the house but, when I woke up, the alarm clock was flashing, the power had gone off sometime during the night. Turns out it was 06:37 so I hadn’t really gotten up too late. I went out on the deck & it was raining & I don’t bushy hunt in the rain. Maybe later on today if it clears up.

I headed back to the woods at 10:15 with a temp of 55, calm but overcast. At 10:55, I was thinking that I hadn’t heard any squirrel take yesterday or today when 1 started scolding behind me to my left. I slipped over to where it was but it shut-up & didn’t move so I didn’t see it. At 12:10, I got out my caller & tried to coax 1 to respond by calling every 5-10 minutes. Nada.

At 12:50, I decided to do a little stalk & spot. (I said what I meant & meant what I said.) I walked along the trail & around to the small pond. Right away, I saw at least 3 running around in the tree tops with another scolding. With all the leaves still on, I couldn’t see any of them well enough for a shot even they stopped. I waited for about 30 minutes with no results so went back & sat down 1t 01:45.

At 02:15, the 1 behind me started scolding again but this time it ran down the tree into the underbrush with no shot. At 03:10, I walked back to the pond but not a soul was stirring, not even a squirrel. I sat back down & a hawk flew through the woods looking for a snack, no doubt. I headed in at 04:00 with a temp of 61.

Day 3

I woke up at 04:30 this morning & couldn’t get back to sleep. When it was time to head back to the woods, I found that my git up & go had done got up & went!!!! I was walking back to the kitchen at 9:15, looked out the side door, & there was the pear-snatching, apple-nabbing fox up in a maple tree. I got the .17, snuck out onto the deck, & added a nice young male to the larder. He was probably a spring hatch.

That got me going, so I headed back at 10:30, with a temp of 61, overcast, & a slight breeze. By 11:05, the skies were starting to clear & the sun came shining through the leaves. At 11:45, a real small red showed up in front of me & got a pass. I won’t waste a shell on those little PIAs. At 11:55, I walked back to the pond & nothing was moving or talking. After about 15 minutes, I heard 1 scolding to the east a pretty good distance. I headed towards it going through a couple of patches of Multiflora Rose & a lot of fallen limbs & other detritus. I must have sounded like an elephant but the bushy kept on scolding until I got into a clearing when it shut-up. I waited about 20 minutes & headed back. I didn’t realize it but I could have circled around on the trail, exited the woods, & walked down the edge as the squirrel was near the edge of the woods. Would have been a lot easier & quieter.

I sat until 02:00 & walked back to the pond & around to the woods west of where I sit with nothing encountered. I headed in at 02:45 with the temp up to 73 & clear skies. I try another woods in the morning.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Days 2 & 3 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by soiltester »

If I heard what I thought as an elephant coming thru the woods .. I wouldn't stick around either, if it wasn't one :LMAO:

Looks like your cooler weather is gonna make it to us on Wed. .. what a relief that will be :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

soiltester wrote: September 4th, 2017, 3:29 pm If I heard what I thought as an elephant coming thru the woods .. I wouldn't stick around either, if it wasn't one :LMAO:

Looks like your cooler weather is gonna make it to us on Wed. .. what a relief that will be :thumbup:
Keep at it, it'll change in a heart beat !! :cheers:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: September 4th, 2017, 3:29 pm If I heard what I thought as an elephant coming thru the woods .. I wouldn't stick around either, if it wasn't one :LMAO:

I'm about as big as a small one. It was 85 when I left the woods this evening. Helluva change from 54 this morning.
George

DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

51 here this morning. Stroll through the hickories put five foxes in the vest. Fried squirrel at camp this weekend.

2gbl
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

59 here this am and 85 now, can't wait for the change!! :banghead:

I'm out at day break and doin' yard and property dirtin' & plantin' & strawin' .. and the food plot after Harvey's whoopin' .9" of rain , appears to be a success and best in 4 yrs. :cheers:
If we get rain on Wed., I finally may be able to post a pic. of the food plot again ?????

HunterGKS: "COME ON DOWN" and shoot all these greys .. I'll jest' send the wife shoppin', or golfn', or violin lessons, o r just plain visitin' her friends :LMAO:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Gotta get them squirrels George for fall Turk camp. 👍🏻We finally gettin a cool down here. Some of the best hunts I've had on any game was in the rain. Not a pour down but I like a drizzle.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
wvmntnhick

Post by wvmntnhick »

I've done very little still hunting the past 7 years for squirrels. Much prefer to use the dog but always enjoy hearing of others success. Only dog I have now is older so I may resort to some still hunting this fall. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx all. I'm only behind by 2 & things should pick up later this month
when they start cutting.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”