Squirrels are Getting Scarce Around Here

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Squirrels are Getting Scarce Around Here

Post by HunterGKS »

I went to my deer woods yesterday afternoon hoping to pick up 1 or 2 bushies. I saw 1 working through the leaf litter but it never provided a shot. After a couple of hours, I moved & within 15 minutes, had 1 barking at me. I could the shadow of its tail on another tree & eased over to where it was. I spent at least 10 minutes scanning the tree tops but couldn’t spot it. Then I caught a glimpse of its tail on the backside of a small tree about 5’ in front of me. How I never saw it in the naked tree top, I’ll never know. It hit the ground, hopped twice & went a few feet up the side of the tree giving me about 1 second of stillness before it moved to the back side. It stuck its nose & 1 eye out before hitting the ground running never giving me a shot.

This morning I got to my 2nd turkey woods at about 7:30. Soon thereafter I heard something to my west. It kinda sorta sounded like a deer snorting but not really. This went on for several minutes. A few minutes later, I heard more sounds coming from the same area but they were sounds I have never heard before. The sounds were moving closer & I didn’t know what the heck to expect. I was thinking maybe a hog. The noise stopped & I saw something grayish moving east past me. My 1st thought was another coyote but it turned out to be 3 big coons. I think the 1st 1 was a sow in heat & the other 2 were boars trying to get a little somethin’ somethin’ going with the sow.

About an hour later, I took a walk-about hoping to stir something up. The only thing I saw was a yearling deer that didn’t seem overly concerned that I was there. An hour after I sat back down, 1 started barking behind me & I caught a quick glimpse of it but it never gave me a shot. Other than a couple of small rubs, that was it. I plan to hit my primary turkey woods in the morning.

I noticed these ‘shrooms growing on a tree behind where I was sitting & thought they were pretty cool looking. Anyone have an idea of what kind they are??

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Squirrels are Getting Scarce Around Here

Post by OLE RASPY »

No wonder the squirrels are scarce hell you've killed them all. You squirrel killin thang you. :lol: :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup: cool pic !
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Out here in Kansas I bet I could kill 100 a day and 200 cotton tail's with the truck on the way home.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

OLE RASPY wrote:No wonder the squirrels are scarce hell you've killed them all. You squirrel killin thang you. :lol: :thumbup:
X2 :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:

Come on down & shoot all of the greys or what ever they are, around my yard ... from the back patio while you enjoy a beverage :o
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:No wonder the squirrels are scarce hell you've killed them all. You squirrel killin thang you. :lol: :thumbup:
Welllllll, I wish it was that easy. I've killed 26 squirrels in 7 woods. I killed 9 in 1 & 7 in another & have quit hunting them. That leaves 10 in the other 5 which isn't many. I think the real problem is the lack of mast this year. There just isn't much at all. My deer woods which is also 1 of my hot spots has only yielded 3. There are 2 walnuts near my deer stand & it usually is like walking on marbles. This year, I can't find a single nut, not 1. I think the bad winters we've had the past 2-3 years finally caught up with the trees. Hopefully this winter will be mild & give the trees & game a chance to recover.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

HunterGKS wrote:
Welllllll, I wish it was that easy. I've killed 26 squirrels in 7 woods. I killed 9 in 1 & 7 in another & have quit hunting them. That leaves 10 in the other 5 which isn't many. I think the real problem is the lack of mast this year. There just isn't much at all. My deer woods which is also 1 of my hot spots has only yielded 3. There are 2 walnuts near my deer stand & it usually is like walking on marbles. This year, I can't find a single nut, not 1. I think the bad winters we've had the past 2-3 years finally caught up with the trees. Hopefully this winter will be mild & give the trees & game a chance to recover.
Just :stir: at ya George. I'm going in the morning for first time this season. Takin my step son with me. Brand new property never been to. Hasn't been hunted in years according to land owner.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:
Just :stir: at ya George. I'm going in the morning for first time this season. Takin my step son with me. Brand new property never been to. Hasn't been hunted in years according to land owner.
Oh I know but it does vex me that the squirrel population seems to be down. Good luck to both y'all tomorrow.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”