Day 6 in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 6 in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

Post by HunterGKS »

Got set-up this morning in the woods behind the house at 7:45. It was another beautiful morning. A coon waddled by at 8 & that was pretty much it until 9:50 except for the birds at which time I spotted a bushy moving up a tree about 20 yards in front of me. I followed it in the scope until it stopped, I popped, & it plopped at the base of the tree. Within a minute or 2, I saw another 1 moving in the tree tops deeper into the woods. I knew I couldn’t sneak on it so all I could do was sit, watch, & wait to see if it moved my way in the trees or on the ground.

Between 10:00 & 10:45, I saw a couple more squirrels back in the woods but they never came close enough for a shot.

About 11:15, I saw something moving along the edge of the woods but couldn’t tell what it was. It could have been a deer but didn’t really move like a deer. I also though, maybe a yote as I have seen them here. I kept a sharp look-out but never saw what it was.

About 11:25, 1 moved across the woods floor in front of me. Again, I put the scope on it until it stopped. I hesitated for just a second & it started moving again never giving me another shot. At 11:40, 1 hoped on the log that runs parallel to the trail, jumped down & ran to a large shag jumping up on the side. It moved around the back with only its tail sticking out. I had the .17 up & watched. After several seconds, it stuck its head out on the other side, the .17 barked, & #15 hit the ground. About 10 minutes later, 1 started barking behind me. I could see it bouncing around in the tops & decided to try a stalk but it shut-up & I couldn’t find it.

Both of these were males, an old boar & a younger 1. They are number 14 & 15. HEY RON & WALT!!!! We have chowder & either Picadillo or cacciatore or maybe both. I’ll probably pressure cook the 6 that are soaking in the fridge Sunday & maybe start cooking next week. I’m going to spread it out over several days. It’s too much hassle to try & do it all in a day or 2.

I picked up several more rocks to help Mike lower his machinery repair bill.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 6 in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

Post by OLE RASPY »

George you are wearing them out. Won't be no more left. :lol:
I like reading your story's though. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx. I'm glad you enjoy my scribblings. I usually set a number &, if I reach it, I stop hunting. This year it's going to someplace around 25. I got 32 last year thinking I needed that many but, as it turns out, it was too many.
George

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

George

You're having a great season ! Great pics also ! :thumbup:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx. I need about 10 more to cover meals at fall & spring turkey camp at Gobbler's Roost in NY.
George

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Hey George

That's a cool lookin avitar you got there ! Did it come with a secret decoder ring & a silver bullet ? :thumbup:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

vaturkey wrote:Hey George

That's a cool lookin avitar you got there ! Did it come with a secret decoder ring & a silver bullet ? :thumbup:
Nah.But I am working on getting a life sized model in either gold or sterling silver gratis.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HunterGKS wrote:
vaturkey wrote:Hey George

Nah.But I am working on getting a life sized model in either gold or sterling silver gratis.
I sure expect to see a gold badge like the avitar, hangin' from yer' huntin' shirt, when we see pics from Turkey Camp this fall or at least by next spring!!! :lol:

Great shootin' , but ya' could pick up a few more rocks , as you still had a lot more room!!!!! :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”