Belle and Birds 2015

everything except turkey & deer
Coalman

Belle and Birds 2015

Post by Coalman »

09-20-15
It has been hot. Real hot! Over ten degrees more than the average here in coastal NH. Along with the heat the humidity has been oppressive. Not your ideal training weather. Well according to New England tradition, the weather...she's a changing.

I've been working Belle along tote roads this month as it imitates our partridge hunting style. But lacking have been the partridge. Knowing birds make the dog today we switched up and targeted timber doodles. At least this bird still has a grip in the local covers we hunt.

It has been dry this summer in southern NH. Knowing that woodcock need to stick that beak deep in damp soil to find their favorite food, earthworms, this mornings training session found us in a flood plain along the Lamprey River. I've flushed numerous woodcock in this cover while hunting deer but have never hunted it for upland.

While walking the river bank I couldn't help but notice the wild grape vines.

And a closer inspection revealed these beauties.

We didn't flush any partridge but we sure worked each grove of grapes with the enthusiasm of the flush.

And then it happened. In ground cover of multiple species of ferns Belle put up a small woodcock that offered us a second flush and then later along our stroll, at the base of my feet, a softball size mature woodcock.

I'm going to use steel shot when I hunt this piece because the opportunity for a wood duck are large. These woods are owned by a land trust who allow hunting. No sympathy for the deer. We are going upland bird hunting.

Come on October 1.

09-21-15
Family Grounds Beaver Pond.

Here is Bay in 2012.

Here is Belle in 2015

I'm OK with it since I am not a big waterfowl hunter.

But tell me these edges don't look like prime woodcock habitat.

Thanks to everyone who have been giving me partridge reports. I can taste them now. :)
Your eye in the northeast sky.
Coalman Blog http://www.coalmansblog.com
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Belle and Birds 2015

Post by Shooter »

Always loved Grouse hunting in the mountains where we used to Deer hunt close by. Now it is a thing of the past. Used to hear them drumming wherever you went. Have not heard one in many years. Guess the dang Coyotes have taken over.
Now if I want them, Have to drive 3 or more hours toward Knoxville to get back into them.
Woodcocks, we have tons. But hunting without a dog, I have to wait til they do their singing/mating ritual to find them. By then the season is usually closed. :banghead:
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

Grouse are also an endangered species in the covers close to our home. It is due to no forest management. Partridge need second growth and where we live most parcel ownerships are less than 10 acres and nobody is chopping.

There are grouse in the piece with the beaver pond. But you could wear out the sole of your boots trying to find them. I have to travel 10 miles to get into a spot I "think" I have a chance at seeing one.

Woodcock are another story. Not so many as I remember when I hunted my Springer years ago but we still have good huntable populations locally.

In the river piece a couple years ago the first week of November during our muzzleloader deer season I got into some woodcock flight birds. That was so much fun even though I never fired a shot.

The fall turkey season in Maine opens October 1 and runs the whole month. Two bird limit of which you can shoot two with one shot. Our camp is in Maine so a fall turkey will definitely be a bird or birds of opportunity.

I love hunting behind a dog. Either upland, turkey or snowshoe hare and cottontails. It's not some much the kill as the dog work.
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

09-27-15
Checked out a new piece of property yesterday morning on my way up to camp.

At first I wondered if I was in the right place seeing the parking area wasn't flattened down from vehicles and there was no dog park dog poop on the trails. A place like this near my house would gets lots of traffic.

No sooner as we started down the first straightaway that Belle got real birdy. Then way down the trail I spied a turkey going in the woods. Let Belle work her way down naturally with no help from me. I saw her catch the scent and scoot out into the woods. Very soon I heard the alarm putts and heavy wing beats of a turkey taking flight. I caught a glimpse of it coming right to left. Had I known about the log landing and was standing there it would have been a dead turkey if the season was on.

As soon as we left the log landing we moved a partridge. We continued down the trail to a big clearcut on our right. Went up into the cut and then looped back down to the main trail I came in on. We moved another partridge on the way out. Didn't see either but it was a thrill. I was there a half hour and saw a turkey and moved two grouse.

I'll be back.

I believe this is white baneberry . Always interesting to find new things when you are exploring new covers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actaea_pachypoda

About a mile from camp I had to stop in the road and let a flock of turkeys go by. There was no way to count them as they were on both sides and getting out of dodge quick. I did spy at least a dozen though.

Camp is now ready for bird hunting. Aired everything out, vacuumed and washed the floors and disinfected every surface. Found a couple spots Mickey may be gaining entrance and plugged the access. He and Minnie better be careful after October 1. We will be employing lethal methods of irradiation.

Finished by mowing the lawn.

Loading up the truck for our trip home I had to look twice. Was that a turkey out in the pasture? I kenneled Belle in the Ford and went to investigate. Yup a hen with four poults. One hundred feet from the camp door. Did I mention the Maine season opens October 1?

Turkey pasture on the left.

Shot two rounds of trap this morning. Broke a nineteen then an eighteen. Haven't shot the new Stevens since April. I'm glad to be consistent. I'll need it against those ruffed missiles when the fun begins Thursday.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

nothing i miss more than my brittanys and our mountain ruffed grouse. They are almost nonexistant where they used to be abundant. Used to love to read Burton Spiller and his stories about new hampshire and maine ruffs and woodcock
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Nice report.

I'll be heading to N Wis soon for my annual trip to my cabin. Be after ruffed grouse, WC, turkey, and ducks. Might even chase a squirrel or 2 for the heck of it when the dogs need a rest. I usually hunt my venison in Wis but decided to get it when I get back to Colo in late Nov. I'll concentrate more on turkey since I won't deer hunt in Wis.

My duck hunting is better in Colo but its different in Wis and I enjoy hitting the backwaters and beaver ponds in my little Poke boat.

Grouse is almost always good and the WC make for a nice pursuit between grouse...love the dog work on the doodles.

The dogs and I are getting anxious...won't be long though.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Treerooster wrote:Nice report.

I'll be heading to N Wis soon for my annual trip to my cabin. Be after ruffed grouse, WC, turkey, and ducks. Might even chase a squirrel or 2 for the heck of it when the dogs need a rest. I usually hunt my venison in Wis but decided to get it when I get back to Colo in late Nov. I'll concentrate more on turkey since I won't deer hunt in Wis.

My duck hunting is better in Colo but its different in Wis and I enjoy hitting the backwaters and beaver ponds in my little Poke boat.

Grouse is almost always good and the WC make for a nice pursuit between grouse...love the dog work on the doodles.

The dogs and I are getting anxious...won't be long though.
i used to make a trip to wis every year to hunt grouse. Hunted the Nicolet NF between Wabeno and Crandon. Lots of birds in the high cycle years
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

My wife and I drove from NH to northern WI in September 2013 to pick up Belle. Her breeding focused heavy on grouse or what we call partridge here in the northeast.

I am reaping the benefits now.

Good luck TR in WI. Pictures required.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Turkinator my cabin is a bit west of where you were at. Close to hwy 8 but between Prentice and Ladysmith. Right by the small town of Kennan.

Be awhile before I get back to post some pics...here some from previous years for a teaser.

Love those bronze colored grouse. They are rare where I am at, especially the gray phase.

Wish I was doing this tomorrow morning.

Bare November days.

Coalman

Post by Coalman »

Wish I was doing this tomorrow morning.

I will be doing that tomorrow morning. :)
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

thanks for the stories and pictures,,,,makes me remember my days of hunting up in Wisconsin,,,,,,
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

10-01-15
Great opening day. Three hour hunt in No Man's Land. 3 woodcock 2 shots no birds. 4 partridge 1 shot 1bird. YOY. Very small.
Bet I saw no less than 100 turkeys today. 27 + bottom of hill at camp. 5 in camp yard last night.

October 1 fulfilled my upland lust.

10-02-15 NH
Started day with BIL and Belle in NH where we scouted a couple weeks ago. Saw lots of new country. Put up 1 woodcock and 2 partridge. No shots.

ME AM
Next we went to the Farm. 3 woodcock, 2 shots, no birds. 3 partridge flushes, 2 shots, no birds.

ME PM
4 partridge flushes, 1 shot, no birds.

I love this kind of hunting over a close working flushing dog. You train yourself to be keenly aware of the dogs body language. There is no hurry. Lots of stopping while you watch the dog work.

Sleep came easy after dinner at camp. I could get used to this life very quickly.

10-03-15
Today didn't start well. And by a new day I mean 0200. Heck of a time to come down with intestinal cramps. My wife missed a day of work the week of the 22nd due to the same thing. Thought I'd won the battle from not contracting it sooner but on-line says greasy, high fat, processed camp food seems to be the right fuel.

Felt a little better around 0930 after a fist full of trips to the outhouse. Scouted some property recently in the next town over from camp so I loaded up Belle and we went for a walk. No birds flushed but it was sure some nice woods I will return to.

10-04-15
Rough night sleeping. Never more than an hour at a time called off any plans to hunt with my son Shawn this morning. That was hard to take but I need to get better so I'm hunting on the computer.

I've always loved hunting behind or as Willy (my beagle buddy) would say in front of dogs. I never feel alone when I am accompanied by a canine. These first few days of upland hunting have really showed me Belle's potential in the grouse woods. Thank you Steelhead Fred and the The Grouse Commanders. You strive to achieve what I have now. I love watching Belle work air scent. Friday evening BIL and I were on opposite logging rods working parallel with each other. I saw Belle lift her nose, test the air and bolt into the woods. It didn't take long to hear two unseen partridge take flight.

In NH Friday morning just as we left the truck I told BIL that if he sees Belle stop on the road and bolt ninety degrees into the woods he better be ready. I looked down and noticed I forgot Belle's whistles. It was only 100 feet back to the truck. When I caught back up to BIL he said he watched Belle stop, pivot and bolt. The end result being a woodcock that didn't offer a shot.

I am sure proud of my hunting partner.
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

I didn't take many pictures but here are a few.

Belle's first Maine partridge 2015. I only winged it. Belle had a great time playing with it before I had to do the dirty deed. 2nd hatch guess from the small size. Tail feathers...optional.

Do partridge eat Partridge Berry?

You bet!

Took a drive around Thursday evening. Met a fellow and his wife here with three English Setters. You could spend a week in this piece.

Thank you State of Maine

One hen and four second hatch poults now call camp home. Poor through the windshield shot. I saw them every day.

GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Good stuff!
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

10-10-15
I was thinking today that a quarter of October has already gone by. That thought occurred to me in a fertile river bottom chasing Mr. Doodle with Miss Belle.

It could of been the rainbow of color from the multiple species of ferns? Or the whistle of the unseen wood duck. The blustery wind dislodging leaves devoid of chlorophyll? Dodging multiflora rose?

What ever it was it all happened before we put two woodcock to flight. Instinct came into play and I shouldered the gun both times. And both times there were no shots.

You know it didn't really matter if we got a bird. I walked with the Yellow Dog today. I have been looking forward to that all week. We accomplished our mission in some really pretty fall woods.

One third of October is gone. Tomorrow we look for partridge.

10-11-15
Three innings of October are complete. We started the fourth inning this morning in Durham on University of NH land.

Gotta love those folks for allowing hunting on their property. Hunted a tree farm with some recent choppings. Birds 0 Belle 0. No flushes.

On a recon down the road and I spied a red steel gate. Was that a no wheeled vehicles on a NH Forest and Lands sign? Well don't mind if I do. Parked there and hunted the edges of a big clearcut they did a few years ago. Beautiful land full of fall colors but devoid of birds. Birds 0 Belle 0

It was now approaching 10 AM and was getting hot in the direct sun so I decided a walk along some Lamprey River bottom lands on the other side of the river from yesterday. It should be cooler.

I was right.

This ditch is usually full of water.

It wasn't far past here that Belle got extremely birdie and started ranging out. My suspicions were confirmed with the alarm putting and heavy wing beats of an unseen turkey. Upon her return she took another line straight out and put another turkey to flight. Then a couple hundred yards further two turkey flushed out of the trees to my left. Why does the season have to start tomorrow?

I stopped to watch Belle working scent. When I took the next step a woodcock flushed at my feet. Straight away, no obstructions, bang and the bird fell from the sky. My first NH woodcock with Belle. Belle 1, Woodcock 0.

And no less not far from a patch of wild cranberries where I stopped to take her picture on our way out.

I picked a handful to garnish the bounty. How’s that for organic?

Today's hunts occurred on state land and private conservation trust land all open to hunters. Of which I saw none of the latter. It was just me and the dog. Just the way I like it.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

:thumbup: enjoy your story's coalman.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

10-22-15
Back from Maine's Great North Woods. Had a great time following the yellow dog around some really nice bird cover in the peak of fall foliage.

While there were flushes and lots of missed shots the most memorable bird was our first. I swear Belle knows what she is doing when she quarters along the logging trails. She casts out to the left or right then runs parallel along the road. Just when you think she is going out of range she turns and works the inside of the woods back to you.

This worked well on our first bird of the trip. She flushed it on her turn back to the road. It came out into the road flying straight at me. Then it turned back to the woods offering me a right to left passing shot.

First flush, one shot, bird down.

Note to self. Go earlier next year. When I ran into the trappers I knew it was time to relocate. Early fox and coyote season opened 10-18. I just couldn't stay and put Belle in harms way.

Headed south to our camp on the east side of a sleepy western Maine mountain.

Hunted some private property. The birds were there. Just wish I hadn't left my shooting skills into Carlton Brook. :(

But those birds better be careful because as Arnold would say, "I'll be back!"

I saw over 75 turkeys in three flocks around camp. WOW!

10-23-14
We hunted three covers in NH. Today those covers had the look and smell of upland game. The ferns are brown and down and you can see much further in the woods.

We flushed 4 partridge and 8 woodcock along with a snowshoe hare. I shot at the King and Mr. Doodle.

Missed both times

The last piece we hit Belle had woodcock flying left and right.

How can a man have so much fun with an empty game bag?

One man, one dog. Just the way I like it.

Good Girl Belle !
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

10-30-15
Deer season opens tomorrow. Trapping season opens November 1st .

Today was our last day until December to have a peace of mind.

Thank you to the Society for the Protection of NH Forests for the room to roam.

Teach them young... Porcupines...BAD

On our first two encounters with Mr. Porcupine today we came inches from a trip to the vet.

I saw our third encounter before Belle. What is that white thing?

I honestly backed off thinking we were way to close to Pepe La Pew.

Belle was in a remote sit while i tried to get a picture of pink eyes. A pink nose is all I got.

Team Effort: Coalman and Belle.

I came to a yield left in the road just in time to see Belle chasing a partridge down to port.

Gotta love it when they fly up and straight.

The only bird we saw in a day of hunting with 30 mph plus winds.

Good Girl Belle!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Jackass from Arizona was just caught here in Montana with 65 Sharptail Grouse in his possession. NR come here and think they own the place, sure wish these A-hole types would stay the hell out of here.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

Now I know why you are so Grumpy. :)

These are some of the wild apples under my tree stand. Read below.

I've seen two things the last few days a man may not see in a life time.

First was Friday and the albino porcupine.

Second was yesterday morning in my deer stand. About 0800 it started raining apples from the trees close to my stand. There wasn't any wind and at first I thought it was a gray squirrel but too many apples were falling from too many trees. Thump, thump, triple thump. Maybe it was the temperature change? I don't know.

What I do know is it called in the deer. I don't know why either since there are literally thousands of apples on the ground.

Then it happened. The skipper was standing under the trees when you guessed it... he got Isaac Newton'ed. An apple fell from the tree and hit the deer right on the head. They must be used to it feeding under apple trees because it flinched a little but never spooked.

My new deer call is going to be named 'Raining Apples".

You heard it hear first. :)
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

11-08-15

After I dropped the deer off at the butcher Belle and I went on a short hunt for NH ruffs.

We found more ticks than partridge. We did put two birds to flight but they flushed wild and way out of range. The only confirmation they were there was the heartbeat sound of their wicked wings.

This was the first time Belle has worn any type of orange overcoat.

She didn't like it.

Is deer season over? :)
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

11-26-15
Belle and I were out for a short pre-Thanksgiving hunt. No birds flushed. Gave thanks I got to spend some time in the woods with my best canine friend.

I'm just a happy homeboy from Exeter. I haven't traveled a whole lot but when I do there has been no place like home. I'm proud to be native NH.

Walking behind Belle on our ruffed grouse hunt and not flushing any birds my mind wandered to where in the USA could I relocate that offered the same or better than what coastal NH has to offer?

Here on the coast we have no neighbors to our east other than the salty variety. Travel an hour north, south or west and you have the choice of cities or big woods and mountains. So where would I be happy?

I didn't need a FB page to answer that question. So where you ask?

Wisconsin

Second to NH my choice would be the eastern part of that state. No neighbors to the east unless you count salmon and trout in Lake Michigan. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities and Milwaukee and Green Bay for the big city fix.

That was my daydream. And I'm sticking with it. :)
Coalman

Post by Coalman »

12-06-15
Being the last day of deer season I was thankful when we pulled into the vacant parking area. Not that we did want to share the deer, we were there to partridge hunt with Belle.

Our two and a half hour hunt went far beyond expectation. We moved a lot of birds. Of those Belle flushed three doubles and a couple singles. The others flushed wild.

At no time was I offered a shot.

The highlight of my hunt was watching a grouse glide out of range across the skyline, sun to my back shining against it's silhouette. Followed closely by watching Belle cut scent and run hard right just as I turned left at the road junction. I saw her third double flush of ruffs and I couldn't do anything about it.

Thank you Cory for the pictures and for inviting Belle and I. Lets do it again soon.
TheWoodsman

Post by TheWoodsman »

How righteous is your whole adventure!!
Very cool...
Enjoy!

Denny

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”