An Interesting 4th Day in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

An Interesting 4th Day in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

Post by HunterGKS »

I left the house this morning at 6:20 &, when I reached the end of my drive, saw a pretty cool moon & star combo. The moon was crescent with a bright star to the south of the moon. I took 3 pics but they didn’t really turn out very well as it was still pretty dark & I couldn’t hold the camera still enough. It was a beautiful morning at 58 degrees, a very slight breeze & cloudless skies.

As I drove down the waterway towards the woods, I saw something at the end of the corn field but couldn’t tell what it was. I hit the brights & at least 5 deer headed into the woods. I usually hunt this woods later in the season & remembered why when I got there. The leaves are so thick on the saplings that it’s hard to see anything. I sat at the edge of the woods at 6:20 waiting for it to get light enough to move through the woods. There are a lot of grapevines & you risk life & limb walking through in the dark. Another deer headed west through the power lines to the north & a few minutes later, I thought I had slipped back in time to a prehistoric age as what appeared to be a pterodactyl flew in & landed on the far side of the tree line. About 20 minutes later, in full light, a GBH left the trees. There were reds all over the place & I did shoot 1. I saw 2 foxes but couldn’t get a shot. The walnuts have hit pretty well & I have never seen so many buckeyes. I picked up 24 & will plant them later this fall in hopes of getting a few trees. I headed in for lunch at 11 with a stop at my nieces place for a short visit.

After lunch, I got set up near my honey tree at 12:30. Less than 10 minutes later, 2 foxes came tearing through the woods & would have literally run over me if the hadn’t stopped & reversed direction. One stopped on top of a log & the other crossed the log. The 1 on the log disappeared before I could get the scope on it. The other was still sitting there & I shot it. I knew exactly where it was, next to a small sapling on bare ground, so I didn’t go get it. I had a couple of reds dropping hickory nuts & then moving them off someplace. At about 1:15, I heard something running near where I had shot the fox. I looked & there was a coyote trotting south past me. There was a large blow down between us but I kept the scope on it & when it cleared the end of the blow down I shot putting it on the ground. You can see where I hit it at the top of the shoulder. The spine must have been shattered as it couldn’t use its back legs. I got about 10’ before administering the coup de grace. It was a young female. I went to get the squirrel & spent almost an hour searching with no luck. I even retraced the path the yote took several times thinking it may have picked it up & dropped it. Nada. The only thing I can figure is that there were 2 song dogs & I didn’t see the other. It really ticks me off that I lost the fox as I do eat squirrels but not dawgs!! I have seen that a lot of people claim that a .17 HMR is too light to kill a coyote. To them I say: “HA!!!!” At least there’s 1 less squirrel snatcher, 1 less poult purloiner, & 1 less fawn felon out there. That was it for me. I dropped her of at the taxmans to have a rug made.

This is a large walnut that a large part that broke away many years ago.

You can tell that a lot of squirrels have eaten 3 rounds a day in this tree.

You can see where the .17 took out her spine at the top of the shoulder.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hambone79

Re: An Interesting 4th Day in the Ohio Squirrel Woods

Post by Hambone79 »

Outstanding I have been using my 22 hornet on some song dogs around here
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hambone79 wrote:Outstanding I have been using my 22 hornet on some song dogs around here
Thx. You can kill just about anything with a small caliber if the shot placement is what it should be.

It still ticks me off that 1 got away with my squirrel!! :banghead: :angry5:
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Nice to see a marksman .. showing his success!!! :thumbup:

Always a bummer when ya' loose one to mother nature :(
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good deal. You puttin a hurtin on the squirrels already. Great job on the yote. Dead yote is a good yote. I'm waiting for it too cool up some here. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx all. I think I'm up to 10 including the 1 that was stolen. It was 48 here this morning & will be about 50 tomorrow morning. I plan to hit the woods behind the house in the morning & maybe 1 of my turkey woods after lunch.
George

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”