Anyone got any tips for a newbie at archery hunting turkeys?

Bowhunting for all critters great & small. Bows with Cams, no Cams & Crossbow talk here.
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Anyone got any tips for a newbie at archery hunting turkeys?

Post by slickyboyboo » January 21st, 2013, 11:04 pm

Stumbled upon a few pieces of public land that are archery only. Went deer hunting at one place for the first time today, and it appears to have a good many turkeys. I will definitely be scoping this place out, and attempting to take a gobbler or two with my bow this year.

So anyone got any tips that I need to pay special attention to when it comes to archery for turkeys?
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Anyone got any tips for a newbie at archery hunting turk

Post by Shooter » January 21st, 2013, 11:25 pm

Yea, start working out until you can hold a bow back for 10 to 20 mins, or get a crossbow,...lol
Sorry Barry, I couldn't resist.
It is just too hard to get to full draw without being seen, unless you use a pop-up.

I have taken gobblers many years ago with a bow, and it ain't easy out in the open.
I did it just to say I could do it, but I will never even try anymore.
I have enough trouble with a shotgun with TSS,...lol

Good luck to you, and it is fun, and a thrill when you can take one with a stick.
Advice,... do what you know, and try not to move,...much.

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr » January 22nd, 2013, 9:37 am

I would say one of the most important things is getting a good set of pics that show the kill shots from different angles unless you are using the head shot type broadheads like the bullheads. Also get used to shooting from awkward positions like sitting or kneeling.

Treerooster

Post by Treerooster » January 22nd, 2013, 9:45 am

timbrhuntr wrote:I would say one of the most important things is getting a good set of pics that show the kill shots from different angles unless you are using the head shot type broadheads like the bullheads. Also get used to shooting from awkward positions like sitting or kneeling.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=228905

slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo » January 22nd, 2013, 12:13 pm

Shooter wrote:Yea, start working out until you can hold a bow back for 10 to 20 mins, or get a crossbow,...lol
Sorry Barry, I couldn't resist.
It is just too hard to get to full draw without being seen, unless you use a pop-up.

I have taken gobblers many years ago with a bow, and it ain't easy out in the open.
I did it just to say I could do it, but I will never even try anymore.
I have enough trouble with a shotgun with TSS,...lol

Good luck to you, and it is fun, and a thrill when you can take one with a stick.
Advice,... do what you know, and try not to move,...much.
I agree Tommy, I tried it with a bow once in CO, but Mr Tom's lady friend, kept him from feeling the wrath of the arrow, yet didn't keep him safe from the shotgun that was in the blind as well. :D

timbrhuntr wrote:I would say one of the most important things is getting a good set of pics that show the kill shots from different angles unless you are using the head shot type broadheads like the bullheads. Also get used to shooting from awkward positions like sitting or kneeling.
I am planning on using some Grim Reapers. I planning on start shooting my bow from a seated position on a regular basis, once deer season is over, although most all my shots I make while deer hunting are from a seated position. I will probably get me a stool for my blind, and ditch the chair. I will also invest in some all important Ninja Gear to wear in the blind!
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!

GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 » January 25th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Nothing wrong with the Reapers but I would highly recommend the NAP F.O.C.'s. They are a 3" cut 2 blade mechanical with the blunt rounded tip. The devastation they have upon impact is something you have to see to believe. I have taken a lot of birds with a bow and the Guillotines were once my favorite but the FOC's have taken the driver seat the last two years.
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.

john donovan

Post by john donovan » December 1st, 2014, 10:49 pm

I'm new to turkey hunting overall but I plan on shotgunning in the spring and bow hunting in the fall due to the fact I'll be deer hunting the same farm. I'm leaning toward the bullhead but what do I need to do with my bow to make that combo lethal? Do the 4 vane arrows shoot well through a whisker biscuit or do I need a new rest? Luckily I have two bows so one can be rigged just for turkeys.
Remington 870 express
Remington super full turkey choke
Hornady heavy turkey

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho » December 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am

I did it a couple years ago just to see how hard it really is. About the only thing I did different was tree placement. Instead of sitting with my back against a tree I had the tree in front of me. Refusing to use a blind and decoys I needed something to hide the movement of drawing the bow. The tree provided me the cover I needed. I managed to kill two in two days of hunting. One on a lease and one on public land. The only extra challenge it presented over a gun was drawing the bow undetected and a little more retriction on range.

Good luck.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff

davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 » December 2nd, 2014, 8:53 am

Good luck on your quest. If you want to do archery then have at it but I would check the rules for the property. There are some SC lands that are archery only for deer but for other game shotguns are allowed. Just a thought. Hope you are successful!

gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert » December 2nd, 2014, 10:25 am

I will pray for your sanity Barry. Leah has been wanting to shoot a turkey with her bow since she is on an archery team (she is very confident). I told her I didn't care but if she missed I would back her up with the shotgun. Her response...."Naa, I'll just shoot them with the shotgun". My tip.....don't move or get a blind.

Return to “Bowhunting”