Three more coyotes and some pictures!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Three more coyotes and some pictures!

Post by derbyacresbob »

I made my first stand this morning at 11:00am. I was laying low in some sage brush with my shotgun.

Right at 12 minutes into the stand I saw a coyote to my left heading straight for me and my Foxpro. When the coyote got to about 25 yards away I sat up and dropped the coyote with a 3-1/2" 1-7/8 oz load of HW13 BB shot.
ImageIMG_0811 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

On the very next stand I had my shotgun again and after playing Bay Bee Cottontail for about 5 minutes I saw a coyote heading my way.
ImageIMG_0828 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0823 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
When I took the second above picture I was looking for my Foxpro to come into view on the right.
ImageIMG_0852 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0859 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
I took a few more picture of this coyote before I sat up to shoot him with my shotgun. When the coyote saw me sit up he had a "I just screwed up" look on his face.

ImageIMG_0870 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
He only traveled about 10 yards before the HW13 BB shot caught up with him.
ImageIMG_0873 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

After 3 blank stands I set up overlooking a very big open area and I was laying prone with my 22-250.

About 300 yards away there was a fence line. In the big field on the other side of the fence there was some horses and some Tule Elk.

I was watching the elk when I spotted a coyote headed my way. It went through the fence and was traveling at a slow trot. When this coyote got to about 200 yards away from me it stopped facing me. I zoomed in my scope from 8 power to 12 power and the coyote still looked pretty narrow to me. LOL

So I switched sounds to Vole Squeaks and as soon as the coyote heard the Vole Squeaks sound it started heading for my Foxpro again. When It got to about 100 yards away I muted the Vole Squeaks sound and just a little later the coyote stopped at about 80 yards away.

At 80 yards the coyote looked a little wider and easier to hit so I dropped him with my 22-250.
ImageIMG_0938 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0912 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The above picture is the open area I called the last coyote out of. You can see the Tule elk on the other side of the fence. My caller bag in the bottom of the above picture sticks out like a sore thumb. I normally put my Fusion and the SP-60 speaker on top of my calling bag but since there was no cover I set them on the ground in front of the bag to make a lower profile.

I made two more blank stands and then headed for home. It was another great day!
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Three more coyotes and some pictures!

Post by soiltester »

That' all "SWEET" all over again !! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
crow

Post by crow »

good hunt and pictures
coyote #2 looks like he had his hackles raised until until it was too late
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

crow wrote: February 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm good hunt and pictures
coyote #2 looks like he had his hackles raised until until it was too late
Before I started taking pictures of the coyotes I didn't realize that so many of the coyotes come in with their hackles raised. When they come in close I am pretty sure I am looking at their eyes and don't notice the raised hackles. So even though they maybe coming in to a rabbit distress sound they are ready to defend their territory if they need to.
Foxpro Field Staff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

When do we get to see dead elk pictures???? 😆

Awesome pictures and congrats on more dead yotes
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Predator Calling”