Got 2 coyotes and a good trail cam picture!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Got 2 coyotes and a good trail cam picture!

Post by derbyacresbob »

Yesterday I went out to pick up 3 trail cameras and do a little coyote calling.

For the first 5 hours I did not see or hear any coyotes. At about 2:00 pm I made a rifle calling stand into a big open bowl or valley with my truck parked back behind me just out of sight.

I was laying down prone with my 22-250 and I set my FoxPro about 40 yards bellow me and a little to my right.

I started out with Female Coyote Sore howls and played it for about 2 minutes. After a 2 minute pause then I played Female deep Howls for about 2 minutes. After another 2 minute or so pause I started playin Nutty Nuthatch on full volume.

After 4 or 5 minutes of playing Nutty Nuthatch I see a coyote running down the mountain beside me heading away and it is going to run right by my FoxPro. This coyote had been spooked and would be out of sight over a ridge in 10 seconds or less.

I pushed my #1 pre-set button that is Coyote Pup Screams on volume 40 and the running coyote stopped and looked towards my FoxPro. It was a easy standing shot for my 22-250.

I am pretty sure this coyote worked it's way around the mountains side hilling and popped over a small ridge and saw my truck about 50 yards away and then ran over the main ridge and down into the bowl right next to me. I am pretty sure the coyote didn't smell my truck, me or my FoxPro and carry bag.
ImageIMG_6288 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

On my way to make one last stand I spotted a coyote about 250 yards away right in the middle of a bunch of cattle that were spread out in a big flat area.
ImageIMG_6294 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
This coyote thought he was hidden. I could see part of his shoulder and his neck and head.

This picture below was the best picture I got on my trail cameras.
ImageMFDC4067 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
I sure hope I call one of these in some day. Just knowing they could be there sure makes shotgun calling exciting when I can only see 25 to 40 yards.
Foxpro Field Staff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Got 2 coyotes and a good trail cam picture!

Post by soiltester »

Great going :thumbup:

As far as those cats, ya' better hope only 1 comes in when you call, and not all of em' :shock: :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

That’s great. Can’t really tell but what’s those cats doing eating something maybe.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

OLE RASPY wrote: March 10th, 2018, 12:43 pm That’s great. Can’t really tell but what’s those cats doing eating something maybe.
That is a log they are on and they are smelling some trapping lure that I put on and under the log.
Foxpro Field Staff
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Cool pics!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

derbyacresbob wrote: March 10th, 2018, 12:51 pm
OLE RASPY wrote: March 10th, 2018, 12:43 pm That’s great. Can’t really tell but what’s those cats doing eating something maybe.
That is a log they are on and they are smelling some trapping lure that I put on and under the log.
oh ok.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Mr Bob, you are for sure one song dog killer!!! WTG :thumbup:

Return to “Predator Calling”