A great day of coyote calling!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

A great day of coyote calling!

Post by derbyacresbob »

Yesterday .22guy and I went coyote calling and started before sun up and our last stand was just after sun down.

The first stand of the morning I started out with Female Sore Howls sound on full volume and a bunch of coyotes started yipping and howling about a half mile away.

I switched to Bay Bee Cottontail sound and within about 5 minutes a coyote came in and stopped when I muted the sound. I didn't want this coyote to get closer and get our wind.

The coyote was about 150 yards away and my 243 Win dropped the coyote in it's tracks.

The next stand was about a mile down the main canyon or river bottom. .22guy had his shotgun and was sitting in front of a small brush pile about 20 yards from my Foxpro.

I was laying prone about 80 yards from .22guy. The sun was just starting to put direct sunlight on the ground when I saw a coyote heading right to the Foxpro and .22guy.

It was pretty cool to see the coyote get hammered with the shotgun once it got up real close to the Foxpro.

Quite a few stands later we set up with .22guy on the shotgun and I had the rifle again. I was on top of a steep bank laying prone in the shade of a juniper about 30 ft above .22guy and he was below me in the shade of a juniper. .22guy was about 20 yards from the Foxpro.

After calling with Snowshoe Hi-Pitch for about 10 minutes I saw a coyote heading our way fast. It looked like it was going to run right up to .22guy so I started taking some pictures of it.

Right after I took this picture the coyote put on the brakes and stopped. I thought maybe the coyote saw some movement. I put down my camera and went to my rifle and shot the coyote about 50 yards away from .22guy.

In the above two pictures you can see the coyote laying just to the left of my rifle barrel.

When we went out to get the coyote and looked back at the Foxpro it was putting off some glare. I am pretty sure that the coyote saw that shiny thing and stopped to get a better look at it. I thought I had the Foxpro and my caller bag hidden behind a small bush but I didn't do a very good job of it.
In the above picture you can see my caller and bag that the sun was shining on.

Quite a few stands later we set up sitting in the shade of the same juniper. .22guy had the shotgun and I had my rifle. We were overlooking a huge canyon and we were sitting where the two ridges of the canyon came together. So it was a pretty steep climb for and coyotes to get to us.

After calling for about 5 minutes I spotted a coyote on top of the ridge to my right, it was standing there about 300 yards below us.

I hit my #3 pre-set sound that is Vole Squeaks on volume 20. As soon as this coyote heard Vole Squeaks it started heading up the ridge towards us.

When the coyote got out of our view directly below us .22guy got ready with the shotgun.

It didn't take long and the coyote appeared 20 yards form .22guy and 10 yards from my Foxpro. .22guy put the coyote down with his shotgun with one shot.

We saw some more coyotes but didn't have anymore come in close enough.

It was a great day of coyote calling in some pretty country.
Foxpro Field Staff
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A great day of coyote calling!

Post by soiltester »

By golly .. yer' gettin' the job done :thumbup: :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats on the yotes. I'm gonna have to come out there sometime and get my fix on some coyote hunting. Man yall are covered up in them seems like. I've made prolly 8 or 10 stands on my farm and yet to kill one. Called one in 75 yards but no shot and to never appear again. Lol. Just bought the farm in April. Figured I'd done called in something with trail cam pic of bobcats and yotes.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

That is a good time when the coyotes cooperate like that.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Awesome....always enjoy your stories and pics.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.

Return to “Predator Calling”