Did some coyote calling and branded some calves.

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Did some coyote calling and branded some calves.

Post by derbyacresbob »

This morning I was going out to help a rancher and his family brand right at 80 calves. They wanted me there at 9:00 am so I asked if I could do some calling before the branding started and the rancher said no problem.

I got out there early enough that I could take my time and still wait for about 10 minutes for it to get light enough to shoot.

I was laying prone with my 243 Win with my Fury about 50 yards in front of me. I started out with Female Coyote Yodel Howl for about 1 minute and then muted the Fury.

I waited about 3 or 4 minutes and played Female Coyote Sore Howls for about 1-1/2 minutes and then muted the Fury. I waited another 3 or 4 minutes and started the Sore Howl sound again.

I let it play for over a minute and them I heard a male coyote start challenging my Fury. This male coyote was back behind me and to my left.

There was a small hill or rise behind me and when I looked back there I saw a coyote go over the sky line of the small hill going away from me.

I thought that coyote was the one doing the challenge barks but then I heard the male coyote again and it was down lower and closer to me, so there was two coyotes.

I finally spotted the male coyote that was barking towards me, he was right at 100 yards away. My 243 Win put the coyote down hard.
This coyote had a small white tip on it's tail.

The next stand I didn't hear or see a thing.

The third stand I went to was good to me about two months ago so I thought I would try it again because it was on my way to the corrals I needed to be at, at 9:00 am.

I was laying in an old ranch road with my Fury about 40 yards away and a little down hill and to my left from where I was laying prone in the road.

I started out with Female Yodel Howls again and muted the sound and then went to Female Coyote Sore Howls again. The third time that I went back to playing Sore Howls after having the Fury muted for 2 to 4 minutes I saw a light colored coyote climb out of the canyon bottom about 300 yards away down below me.

This coyote was not in a hurry so I grabbed my camera that was laying next to me and took some pictures.

The coyote stopped when it was about 200 yards away so I hit my #3 pre-set sound Vole Squeaks on volume 20. The coyote started heading my way again.

When the coyote stopped at about 100 yards away I figured it was time to quit playing with my camera.

In the above picture you can see a little light colored horizontal spot just to the right of my rifle scope, that is the male coyote.This coyote came out of that canyon right in the direction my rifle is pointing. On the left side of this picture you can see the same road I was laying on but about 500 to 600 yards farther away.

After we got done with the branding I tried two more stands but didn't see a thing. It was 79 degrees yesterday and 76 degrees today. Not ideal February calling weather.

The Fem Coy Sore Howls sound is a good one!
Foxpro Field Staff
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Did some coyote calling and branded some calves.

Post by hookedspur »

:thumbup:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great going :thumbup:

Bet ya' had a bawling good time brandin' :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Suburbhunter

Post by Suburbhunter »

:cheers:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Good job Bob. I love the terrain you get to hunt in.
One ? The terrain don't look like it provides the yotes with much cover so do they just stay in underground dens and come out when they hear you calling.
Here they have dens but we also have a lot of cover to for them to stay in.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

OLE RASPY wrote:Good job Bob. I love the terrain you get to hunt in.
One ? The terrain don't look like it provides the yotes with much cover so do they just stay in underground dens and come out when they hear you calling.
Here they have dens but we also have a lot of cover to for them to stay in.
Only about 1 mile up in some higher country from where I took these pictures there are junipers and scrub oak trees.

This time of year in the more open country they will just lay down out in the open to sleep during the day. There are plenty of places for them to lay down out of the sun too.

From about October through March you can see coyotes out traveling around and looking for food about anytime during the day.

I don't think the coyotes around here use underground dens much other than when they are having pups in February, March, April and May.

I rode along with a rancher many years ago in some big flat country with no cover at all. He would drive right next to small drainage ditches that were 2 ft to 5 ft deep and these ditches were 2 to 3 miles long. The banks of the ditches provided shade for the coyotes, so that was were they would lay down for the day on 100+ degree summer days. There were no roads next to these ditches but since the rancher owned the land he just drove next to the ditches to scare the coyotes out of them.

Quite a few of the coyotes around here will cover ten miles or more whenever they want to. You can find coyote scat with juniper berries in it 5 or 6 miles from any junipers. Or find coyote scat full of grapes miles and miles away from any vineyards.
Foxpro Field Staff
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Dang man a dog would get a bladder infection trying to find a tree to pee on out there....
Congrats
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun

Return to “Predator Calling”