Got 1 coyote and a short Gray Fox Video!

Techniques and calls.
derbyacresbob

Got 1 coyote and a short Gray Fox Video!

Post by derbyacresbob »

On my first stand yesterday morning at 10:30 am I had my shotgun, my 243 Win and my camera with me.

I had the camera in my hands, the shotgun in my lap and my 243 Win sitting next to me on my right. I was sitting in the shade of a juniper.

I tried 3 or 4 sounds and had been calling for about 20 minutes. I decided to try Male Coyote Challenge 4 just to see if I could get a vocal response from a coyote. I played the Male Challenge 4 sound for about 30 seconds and muted my Fury.

I waited about 2 minutes and decided to give up on that stand. I turned off my camera and set it down and I layed my shotgun down and picked up my rifle. I was planning on looking around as good as I could before standing up.

When I looked back to my left I saw a coyote about 100 yards away heading straight for me. I got on the coyote with my rifle and it was getting closer very quickly even though it wasn't in a hurry.

When the coyote got to about 50 yards away it ran straight at me for a little to long, I squeezed the trigger when the cross hairs were on the coyotes chest.

The coyote ended up being a good sized female with a white tip on her tail.

My next stand was a blank stand, I didn't see a thing.

On the third stand I set up with my shotgun and I was sitting in the shade of a juniper with my camera in my hands.

I had only played Bay Bee Cottontail for 6 minutes when I saw a Gray Fox heading up the ridge towards my Fury.

That is my Contour Roam video camera with the camo glove on it in the above picture.

I had my camera zoomed in a little to much.

Here is the video. This fox didn't stick around very long.
http://vid148.photobucket.com/albums/s2 ... %20Fox.mp4

On my way to the next stand I saw a coyote right next to some cows and calves. There was 4 ravens right next to a calf. As I was driving by the ravens took off and the calf looked dead.

I went and made one more stand and walked up a canyon to change the card in one of my trail cameras.

When I drove out of that area I went by the calf and cow again it was almost two hours later and the calf was in the same position. The cow was standing about 10 feet from the calf.

I stopped my truck and walked over to the calf, it didn't move until I touched it. It was very weak and couldn't stand up.

So I picked up the calf and put it on the floor in my truck in front of the passenger seat. Then I took the calf to the rancher's house.

The rancher's wife made up two bottles of milk for the calf. At first it didn't look like the calf was going to suck on the bottle but when the calf did start taking the milk the first bottle emptied fast. It didn't take long for the calf to finish the second bottle.

Hopefully the little guy will make it through the night.
Foxpro Field Staff
toasty

Re: Got 1 coyote and a short Gray Fox Video!

Post by toasty »

Cool pics and video. Cattle calving this time of year is just weird, but you're a lot warmer there than we are here, hope the little guy makes it.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

You're the chief herdsman and gunner around there!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I know, the picture takin' & video's, are just a sideline hobby !! :lol:

Great goin' and a job well done!! :wav:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I wish we had some gray fox here.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
derbyacresbob

Post by derbyacresbob »

toasty wrote:Cool pics and video. Cattle calving this time of year is just weird, but you're a lot warmer there than we are here, hope the little guy makes it.
toasty, I just got a call from the rancher and he said the calf was standing on it's own this morning when he gave it another bottle of milk.

Around here the cattle ranchers are worried more about the summer than the winter. It is to hard on the cows to have calves during the hot months.
Foxpro Field Staff
UPEgger

Post by UPEgger »

When I started calling in FL in 64 the Gray Fox was the most common predator. In 3 years I only called in one red. Anyway, they normally came in on a fast run, did 2 sniffs/looks, and left the same way. Good to see they still have the same M.O.

Great photo coverage Bob. All I have are a bunch of pictures of dead coyotes. They all look the same... hmmmm... Carl L.
bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

No more grays around me the yotes have caught them all, I am about to start calling yotes again, about tired of deer hunting.

Return to “Predator Calling”