Whats your vest set up ??

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
FOX FIRE

Whats your vest set up ??

Post by FOX FIRE »

What do you carry to the turkey woods ??? are you a ultralighter who carries the bare minumum or do you look like modern day foot soldier with gear hang'n all over the place ??

Me... I go as light as I can, got broke from all the clutter long ago, every step I took was :walk: squeak, squeak, clinck, squeak, clink,clink,clink, ,,, dont want no decoy, box call, extra ammo, face paint compact or clutter hassle with.

In my vest a chest pocket holds sevral types of mouth calls (WoodHaven...oh yeah) for variety & they weigh nothing.

Below them a tube fits in a bigger pocket & IF I take a pot it'll be near the bottom in a big zippered pocket by its self & I cut 4 small slits in the left side of the padded chest part of the vest so I can weave 2 strikers into them wher ther good'n handy, the slits are very small so they fit tight & dont fall out, between a double sided pot & 2 strikers it makes for quite a few different sounds.

SO....WHAT'CHA GOT IN THER KID ???
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Whats your vest set up ??

Post by Turkey Talker »

8 mouth calls, chalk, flashlight, hooter, knife, crackers, box call, 2 pot calls, sand paper, 4 strykers, crow call, gobblerD and guesswho ideas, ibu profin, atenelol, zantac, tape, LED batteries, gum, sugar, thermacell, thermacell plates and gas, and a hen decoy. Ohh yeah, deet spray and SHELLS! I'm tying to figure out how to rig my gobbler lounger to the damn thing.
Last edited by Turkey Talker on January 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I have pot calls usually three. I do have a box call. Three mouth calls. Shells. two crow calls( I use them a lot to work in with.)
Bunch strikers. sand paper and chalk.
A thermo cell and bug spray.

I am trying a back pack this year. But i have the vest on GO.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

I carry just about everything you could imagine, depending on the day, some times I get real brave and leave some of my gear in the truck and travel light(er). The places I can hunt aren't that far from the road and it's not that big of a deal to pack it around. I may only walk 1/2 mile. When you only have 40 acres you can hunt you don't run around too much or your neighbors will kill what you run to them.
"INFIDEL"
joshua

Post by joshua »

I turn my truck into a rolling closet the month of April. I'll have it all and pick and choose what goes with me on each setup.
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

Turkey Talker wrote:8 mouth calls, chalk, flashlight, hooter, knife, crackers, box call, 2 pot calls, sand paper, 4 strykers, crow call, gobblerD and guesswho ideas, ibu profin, atenelol, zantac, tape, LED batteries, gum, sugar, thermacell, thermacell plates and gas, and a hen decoy. Ohh yeah, deet spray and SHELLS! I'm tying to figure out how to rig my gobbler lounger to the damn thing.

WOW !!! MAN !! HA ! I dont see how you could remember all of it, your a walk'n outdoors store.
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

A shell, mouth call, pot call & striker, MRE, bottle of water, and a turkey tote.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:A shell, mouth call, pot call & striker, MRE, bottle of water, and a turkey tote.
Come on Ronnie, this thread was specific to what you carry in your vest...not your fanny pack! I've seen some of the pics you've posted with that huge flock of decoys you use!!! Hahaha
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I have the following in my turkey vest. 20 mouth callers, one box call, two trumpet calls, two pot calls, four stirkers and pot call conditioning stuff and chalk. One owl call, one crow call, toilet paper, water bottle, flashlight, thermo cell (plus refills), knife, gloves plus a spare set, headnet plus a spare, extra shells, pruning shearers, tree saw, snacks or lunch, turkey tote.
Mike
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

-permethrin treated pants and shirt
-3 sheets paper towel strategically placed in left leg cargo pocket
-mouth call wallet loaded with 6 mouth calls in left leg cargo pocket
-face mask and camo gloves (plus a spare of each)
-2 pot calls (glass and slate) plus 4 strikers
-a wingbone
-a cane yelper
-1 box and 1 longbox
-1 spare Xtreme Kee
-shears for trimming bushes
-box call chalk
-sandpaper
-small compass in right shirt pocket
-cell phone in left shirt pocket
-GPS in right leg cargo pocket (about to retire this one, thanks to new smart phone)
-gobble shaker (in fall)
-4 shells loaded with TSS
-water and snack

A couple givens are a sling for my gun and a vest with thick seat cushion.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

No vest for me. I hunt with my loaded shotgun, 1 mouthcall, 1 pot call, 2 strikers, and a trumpet. There's lots of water and food in the truck, but I generally don't carry any of it.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have the Beardbuster Run N Gun Belt and added their slate pouch to the other side.

2 Pots
3 Strikers
Owl and Crow
Trumpet and Tube around my neck and usually 2 mouth calls in my pocket

Accessories- Sand Paper, Green Scrubby, water bottle in the box call pocket, thermacell when cold

And I need to send my 8x30 Steiners in and start carrying them in open country.. I cant count the number of times I have closed a half mile in on a bird and its a dang Jake..
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Why would you need your thermacell in the cold? Skeeterz ain't flying when its cold out!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Turkey Talker wrote:
guesswho wrote:A shell, mouth call, pot call & striker, MRE, bottle of water, and a turkey tote.
Come on Ronnie, this thread was specific to what you carry in your vest...not your fanny pack! I've seen some of the pics you've posted with that huge flock of decoys you use!!! Hahaha
Those weren't decoy's, they were dead turkeys. :geek:

I did forget two item's. Icedturkes phone number for morning questions, and Roy's phone number for afternoon questions.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

2 pot calls, 2 box calls, a mouth call, a couple strikers, shells, batteries for my sight, water and snacks, pruners and a saw, license and tag, various locator calls, sandpaper and a green scrubby, chalk, phone, extra gloves and facemask, gobblelounger, paper towels, thermacell and reloads.
I think that's it. Really gonna try to get away from my decoys this season. I used them about 50/50 last year.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

joshua wrote:I turn my truck into a rolling closet the month of April. I'll have it all and pick and choose what goes with me on each setup.
Sounds like me. Opening day I carry the kitchen sink. After a few days I carry what fits in my pants pocket
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

2 pot calls, usually 3-5 mouth calls. flashlite TP, dekes, water for all day hikes.

binocs and xtra gloves and mask in case a buddy forgets his..

sometimes I bring other odds n ends stuff.

but the one thing I love to tote more than anything...a dead gobbler while walking out.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

opening day previous years
-Super Elite 3 with the following - two facemasks two pairs of gloves, call conditioning stone, two sheets of sandpaper of different grit, crocus cloth, rangefinder, small binocs, four decoys, custom slate, aluminum, ceramic, glass, and copper pot calls, one short box and one long box, at least a dozen strikers, at least ten diaphragms, water bottle, granola bar, apple, shears, gerber saw, scale and tape measure, gallon zip loc bags, hoot tube, crow call, train whistle, small coffee thermos, thermocell and refills, shells if carrying gun instead of bow, video camera, tripod, still camera, fresh tags........

last few days of season previous years
two diaphragms in shirt pocket, one box call in hip holster, two strikers and one pot call, usually no tags or gun just calling for others or filming

this years setup
two trumpets on a savduck lanyard
two tubes on a savduck lanyard
crow call
scratch box in shirt pocket
no vest
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

I carry alot of stuff in my vest, I use hi back lounger vest loaded with more stuff than I ever use on one hunt but its not heavy items so its easier to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Generally 2-3 pot calls, 6-8 strikers, trumpet on my neck, longbox, 3-4 mouth calls, thermacell, bug spray, water, snack, knife, LED light, spare battery for red dot, and a few extra shells.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Two diaphragms, wingbone yelper, slate, 2-3 strikers, small compass, 3 loads, cell phone, small foam pad on carabiner attached to my belt, hat with pull down mesh mask, gloves and Thermacel if warm. Occasionally I'll carry a short box. Didn't carry one last year, however. I always wear snake boots.
3toe

Post by 3toe »

Paddle box, 1 pot call, 1 mouth call, couple strikers, thermacell, turkey wing, chalk, turkey tote, small flashlight, gloves/mask, shells, and

most important of all............wait for it...............TOILET PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
savduck

Post by savduck »

Two sometimes three pots, 8 mouth calls, crow, owl, hawk, rooster/pileated woodpecker, long box, trumpet, and tube.....not counting all the other stuff like TP, water, thermocell, etc.

I think next year Im rolling light. I carry most calls around my neck..so trumpet, mouth calls, crow, owl, and one pot.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”