Hunting Knives, What do you carry with you?

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Well my old trusty Gerber got lost in the woods last week and it is time to find a new knife. I typically carry a folding skinner in my pocket or on my belt for field dressing, cutting a limb or whatever. I also have a couple good processing knives at the truck. Just curious what everyone else carries while they are hunting.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hunting Knives, What do you carry with you?

Post by MKW »

I carry a Bark River Little Creek. It's a small(about 5.5" overall) fixed blade knife. Had it for 6 or 7 years. It is probably the best knife I've ever had. Kinda pricey, but worth every penny, to me.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/Image ... script.jpg

Mike
Last edited by MKW on October 8th, 2012, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimate Predator
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

One of Trapperscott's finest of course!

CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I prefer something with a guthook on it for in the field. I lean towards Gerber. I have had fixed blades and folders. I'm more partial to the folders. I just picked up this Gerber Myth folder for $35 at a wholesale distributor a couple weeks ago. It's very light, the handle seems a little thin, but it is a nice knife and for the weight, I can deal with the handle.

http://www.gerberknivesdirect.com/Myth-31-001160n.html
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I dont carry one on me as I dog hunt, but I bought a Swing Blaze this year and love that thing. Stays sharp and will unzip a deer in no time. I do carry a Gerber clipped in my pocket every day. Open assist and short strip of serration. Works well.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Bear Grylls multipurpose ultimate survival large knife.

Last edited by Turkey Talker on October 9th, 2012, 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

I carry the old western fixed blade knifes, they were givin 2me a long time ago as a gift and has been the only knifes i ever had for cleaning deer and turkeys.

i like the L39 the best and has clean a lot of deer :thumbup:

LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

My old fixed blade Case XX, smaller model with black handle, 30 plus years old and still holds an edge all day.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Have bought two Cold Steel Bird and Trout for turkeys and lost both.. :oops:

Hands down the best knife I have found is the Frost Mora considering: Price, sharpening ability, size, ability to hold an edge.. The clipper is an awesome all around knife for gutting skinning, turkeys, goose, duck etc.. The craftline punch is basically a bird knife and I want to try one.. I prefer the high carbon over the SS but both are awesome.. They put their money in the blade and not the handle.

For 15-20 bucks I got mine for 7 bucks years ago, if you lose one who cares..
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

The Gerber Gator sure works well and I love the handle. My favorite is Benchmade Elishewitz 730 Ares. Best knife I have handled. Lost two at $200 each. Now they bring way more on ebay. Can't bring myself to buy a third.

Brian, I have an old Western two blade folder with four inch blades that my dad passed down and it is great! I won't risk it in the field, but I debone all my deer with it.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Ordered a traditional skinner and a SOG pup today. You can sure spend some big money on knives these days.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GoldHunter isnt the only one who likes Western...older Coleman Western and it holds a edge!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
savduck

Post by savduck »

Man what a great post. I also have an old Western that looks just like Brians. It was given to me as a gift when I was 6 by my Dad. Mine is a little different though because my Dad was a custom knife maker for many years. He made the knives and the sheathes to go with them. he made a custom sheath for my Western. Here are some of my others that my Dad made. Most are between 20 to 25 years old and will shave your arm hair even after many years of hard use skinning MANY critters.

Personally I think modern steel these days sucks. Case trappers are still good knives. Go to gun and knife shows and look for the old Schrades, Bucks, Case from the late 70s and 80s. Those are some fine pocket knives with excellent steel....I got a few of them hanging around to.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Got a few favorites, man by the name of Chuck Hawes does custom forge knives, I have about a dozen of his. here's a few.
And some of my others I carry, The case was my first "real" hunting knife I bought myself back in junior high. The buck was dropped by some poachers as I was running them off the property I was hunting, nice of them to leave me such a nice knife. That was back in the early 80's.
"INFIDEL"
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Have bought two Cold Steel Bird and Trout for turkeys and lost both.. :oops:

Hands down the best knife I have found is the Frost Mora considering: Price, sharpening ability, size, ability to hold an edge.. The clipper is an awesome all around knife for gutting skinning, turkeys, goose, duck etc.. The craftline punch is basically a bird knife and I want to try one.. I prefer the high carbon over the SS but both are awesome.. They put their money in the blade and not the handle.

absolutely agree with you about the Mora knife. great for the money
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

gaswamp wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:Have bought two Cold Steel Bird and Trout for turkeys and lost both.. :oops:

absolutely agree with you about the Mora knife. great for the money.. I carry a Tabor double set. I use the smaller knife on turkeys and the larger one on deer
Attachments
user14183_pic18180_1263614994.jpg
user14183_pic18180_1263614994.jpg (177.47 KiB) Viewed 8239 times
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

Gerber, carry 3 with me
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

savduck wrote:Man what a great post. I also have an old Western that looks just like Brians. It was given to me as a gift when I was 6 by my Dad. Mine is a little different though because my Dad was a custom knife maker for many years. He made the knives and the sheathes to go with them. he made a custom sheath for my Western. Here are some of my others that my Dad
Del, nice blades. Your dad is a fine bladesmith. Gil
savduck

Post by savduck »

GLS wrote:
savduck wrote:Man what a great post. I also have an old Western that looks just like Brians. It was given to me as a gift when I was 6 by my Dad. Mine is a little different though because my Dad was a custom knife maker for many years. He made the knives and the sheathes to go with them. he made a custom sheath for my Western. Here are some of my others that my Dad
Del, nice blades. Your dad is a fine bladesmith. Gil

Thanks, Im surprised Dale H. doesnt have one. I wish he still made them. He still has all the equipment, just cant see to do the work. He told me he would teach me. Im thinking hard about it.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Grover, that knife third down black handle in your first picture...is that made of Damascus? Awesome looking knife!
gregztans

Post by gregztans »

Turkey Talker wrote:Bear Grylls multipurpose ultimate survival large knife.

Really awesome knife.... I like it

I carry a War Apocalyptic Undead Hunter Dagger Knife. I'll post a picture of it soon.
boot knives
Last edited by gregztans on August 5th, 2014, 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

So the top knife was my fathers and I recently made the sheath to store and preserve it. He used it all over the west coast and in Canada for his three month hunting and fishing trip. I was only 5 years old but I still have his pencil written letters he sent me (that was in the year of 1947) it is beat up but it is one that I will keep. The second knife is a case SS that I have carried since 1973 when I bought it in Salinas Calif. and made the scabbard you see, it has dressed deer in CA, Utah and Washington state along with my Black bear here in WA.
The next two are recent purchases with my home made knife sheaths and both are Mora survival style blades. Enjoy.
Attachments
knives2w.jpg

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”