Choke Tubes

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
ArkansasDon

Choke Tubes

Post by ArkansasDon »

question for you all. I know most of use shoot different tubes in our turkey guns. Why do you have that particular tube? What makes that tube?
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Choke Tubes

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

ArkansasDon wrote: What makes that tube?
The "Internal Geometry"
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

I have to say 3 things, 1st consistency, 2nd internal geometry, 3rd exterior diameter, my barrels are back bored, having tubes that fit correctly and aline is important. Rob offers that for the gun thats back bored.
Last edited by ArkansasDon on August 30th, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Why do I have a particular tube? - I likely found it at decent price, bought it, tried it out, and it worked great.

What makes that tube? - It works.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

1st consistency, 2nd internal geometry, 3rd exterior diameter, plus it came with my gun. I'm a forty yards and under hunter, and it will kill any turkey if I do my job.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

It works. I started with a Kicks GT. Went to a CnC in a Remmy. Then went to JH for Hevi. Then back to the CnC for TSS. Now some cheaper non ported for TSS. I pattern enough guns I have learned a few things.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tubes for me! 8-)

If tight patterns are your quest, these don't disappoint. ;) :thumbup:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The last two guns I've bought I 've been happy with Sumtoy. I went to his shop, explained what I was looking for and watched him build several. I want a hunting choke and not just a paper-puncher. A dense 10" ring is nice, but I want as many in the 10"-20" ring as are in the 10". If I take a shot beyond 40 yards, it is a miscalculation. At Sumtoy, I got to try out several until I found the one I liked for each gun. I was able to match the choke to the load and gun. The external diameters were matched to the OD of each gun. I don't know enough about choke design, but whatever he does works in my guns.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Im a big fan of kicks, Indian creek and now sum toy.

Back before all the new chokes companies. kicks has always out performed them with lead. Then for lead IC came along and for me was the only one that out shot kicks. Now in recent years Im shooting HTL. The two 20 ga sumtoys I own shoot great.

In my turkey choke, I look for a consistant performer that can put up a good core pattern with a nice even spread. i want something thats tight but has a little wiggle room. In my 20s that is Sumtoy.
gobblingghost

Post by gobblingghost »

I shoot a Sumtoy. The reasons I use Williams Chokes is consistency and GREAT CUSTMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Tried a couple tubes out, jelly head worked the best
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

savduck wrote:Im a big fan of kicks, Indian creek and now sum toy.

Back before all the new chokes companies. kicks has always out performed them with lead. Then for lead IC came along and for me was the only one that out shot kicks. Now in recent years Im shooting HTL. The two 20 ga sumtoys I own shoot great.

In my turkey choke, I look for a consistant performer that can put up a good core pattern with a nice even spread. i want something thats tight but has a little wiggle room. In my 20s that is Sumtoy.
Same here...

had kicks for years until IndianCreek. Sumtoy, will have to try and get one ordered someday..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

Chokes and boat props are like vodoo magic. They seldom run the same and the first one you try is never the one you like best. Folks that study this and have degrees in engineering can't tell u the best choke for your gun or what prop will run the best on your boat. As soon as I find a 90 dollar custom choke that I'm happy with I end up with a choke from Walmart in my gun. Go figure.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

I have had good luck with Carlson's chokes and their support is great!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

1 thing I have learned and was told by another loader is that some choke and wad combo's work together.
Reloader and Slicky said that a certain wad patterned better with an IC choke. They said that the JH liked other wads. I did a lot of work with some loads and found this to be mostly true. Now this was with Hevi and not TSS, but it held true. If we could look back at some of their patterns on OG you could see their point.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ccleroy

Choke Tubes

Post by ccleroy »

Sumtoy here in my SBE, nasty
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Star Dot is my main rig, Mossberg 835. Throws a great even 200 hit pattern at 40 with Hevi 2.25 oz 3.5" 6s.

Thinking on a TruGlo SSX for the new Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge using Hevi 1.5 oz 3" 7s.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Johndoe wrote:1 thing I have learned and was told by another loader is that some choke and wad combo's work together.
Reloader and Slicky said that a certain wad patterned better with an IC choke. They said that the JH liked other wads. I did a lot of work with some loads and found this to be mostly true. Now this was with Hevi and not TSS, but it held true. If we could look back at some of their patterns on OG you could see their point. -John
What is this "OG" you speak of? :violent3: :lol: :lol: j/k John.

Yes.....handloaders (slicky and Hawglips) know the most about chokes and loads. They have the benefit of being able to design the load to the gun/barrel/choke tube by selecting the most accomodating wad design. This is why handloading is "best" IMO if you want 100% quality control and designed performance defined by you (the loader and shooter).

Competitive shooters (self included) know a lot about "barrel bore/load/choke combinations" that work best with specific shotshells (containing specific wads). We are left with using commercially-loaded ammunition that is always subject to manufacturer changes in ANYTHING (wads, hulls, primers, propellants, shot alloy composition, ealants, buffer changes, and on and on).

Shotgun barrel/choke builders (e.g. SumToy William, Gunworks' Denny Tubbs) take it even a step further and know that when it comes to "more shot pellets in your favorite-sized circle" at a known distance, there is the need for a match chamber in addition to a given "barrel bore/load (shotshell)/choke" combination.

It really ends up with the person setting the shotgun up and its intended use defining what level of performance is "enough." In the end, it all comes back to the boring concept of adequacy.

If you choose to "ride the cutting edge" and advance your shotgun's performance with cahmbers, chokes, and choke tubes, you will eventually discover that it all is simply a "how much time/money I want to spend" scenario. :?

After many $1000s of dollars invested in a "simple" 20 gauge target shooting design, I can say that it is only "worth it" if you accept that your monetary and time investments could end up no better than the cheapest setup you can buy. :shock:

Fortunately for me and our team, my efforts and investments have produced a combination (strictly for target shooting) with a significant performance advantage over "plain 20 gauge designs." Seldom does it work out this way (say,,,,<20% of the time with commercial loads) but it sure feels good when it does!!! 8-) :thumbup:
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on December 29th, 2012, 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I shoot a $170 gun and $30 choke in 12 gauge and a $220 gun and $10 choke in 20 gauge. I paid more for my 28 ga and .410 guns ($700-$800), and had to pay more for the chokes for them also (~$49). But getting good patterns out of what I shoot isn't very hard to do. And since most chokes were developed with light shot in mind (lead or hevishot), it isn't surprising the choke variable is not as critical for me. But I think we'll eventually see more chokes developed to handle the heavier shot available these days. TruLock is already doing it, for example, and folks like SumToy are also.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:
Johndoe wrote: I can say that it is only "worth it" if you accept that your monetary and time investments could end up no better than the cheapest setup you can buy. :shock:
Perfect Example :thumbup:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee45 ... CN0256.jpg
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Sloppy_Snood wrote:
Johndoe wrote: I can say that it is only "worth it" if you accept that your monetary and time investments could end up no better than the cheapest setup you can buy. :shock:
Perfect Example :thumbup:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee45 ... CN0256.jpg
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....deeeeeep breath..bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
JamesWhite

Post by JamesWhite »

:lol: funny actually. :bounce:
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I just want a nice, even hunting pattern out to 40 yards. My SumToy with Win XRHD, gives me just that.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”