Barrel length

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Barrel length

Post by HuntnMa »

just curious about the length of your barrels on your turkey guns...tell me why you chose that length...i need the advantages and disadvantages....
I was going to get a new sight, well I have issues with that, and I could go with a getting one, but if I spend a lil more, I could get a new gun all together...just trying to decide on what to do and I have some questions that need answers or at least I need some different opinions........thanks :thumbleft:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Barrel length

Post by Hognutz »

I have a 24" bbl. on my SBE l 12ga. and on my BPS 10 ga. Easy to manuever in all situations. The longer bbls. may pattern a tad tighter, but with the proper choke combo, I am way good..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

for me I like 24 to 26" barrel for a turkey gun. My coyote shotgun has a 28" custom. Turkey, 26" barrels, most of my shots are from zero to 50 yards. Coyote, 28" barrel, I've rolled yotes out as far as 60 yards with T shot w/ RR 711 Tube. But I had custom barrel work done , back bored to 740, cone work, polished chamber. Most Coyotes I've killed are in my scattergun range. I like'm close. I rarely use my 243 much anymore
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

a longer barrel will always throw a better pattern at longer distances, same with rifles.
Even though that is the case, I still use a 20" barrel. reason being is because most of my shots are within 10-20 yards down here in the swamp and when walking through the thick, having a shorter barrel that is not taller than your head while slung over your shoulder, makes it easier to not hit branches and other crap above me. I have patterned my gun out to 40 and know it will kill birds that far with 220 pellets in a 10 inch square at 40 yards, but to tote a heavier out-load weight due to barrel size and have a longer stick to get caught up in stuff, I prefer the shorter "shotgun scout" barrel.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Ma
I like the shorter barrels for ease of carry and maneuverability. It is a little tougher to get the great patterns but for me it is worth it. I use a 21" 20ga now but was carrying a 21 or 23" 12ga before. I can get them out of the truck easier and I can hold them by the grip and the tip of the barrel wont touch the ground. I confess to using TSS in these guns which is why I love the 20 so much. Super light and maneuverable with no handicap in patterns or range.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have a 26 on my 20 gauge, no preference just what it came with.. As far as patterns I would go as far to say the longer barrels are a little more forgiving. But certain short barrel guns can pattern as well as longer ones. With the ammo and loads we have available to us any barrel length can generate more than adequate patterns.. Especially in the rem 20s it seems the short barrels are running right at the same numbers as the longer ones.

As far as the maneuverability I have never had a longer barrel prohibit my shooting.. The only problem I run into is having it on a sling sometimes the barrel hits branches.

If you are going to get a turkey only gun get whatever barrel you like and make it shoot.. If it is going to be a more versatile gun for shooting clays, ducks, geese, doves etc get a longer barrel.
savduck

Post by savduck »

I like 28 inch barrels. Always have all ways will. I use to use all my turkey guns for ducks and dove as well. I think longer barrells pattern better.

If you need one of those ring of fires, PM me your address. I have one laying around with all the parts and pieces. Ill send it to you..free.
3toe

Post by 3toe »

My Winchester 1300 short turkey has an 18.5 " barrel and weighs around 6lbs. I love this gun. Short, compact and can carry all day. Doesn't hang in brush and I can swing it in most set ups. I have mis judged and bang flopped gobblers out to 60 steps. I like 40 and under. Patterns great with a Comp N Choke .655 and Winchester supreme #6's. Shooting TSS or Nitros in it would be cheating. :)
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Last edited by 2ounce6s on August 27th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

24 in with a 2in choke. Short and easy to swing and manuever when you need to.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

savduck wrote:I like 28 inch barrels. Always have all ways will. I use to use all my turkey guns for ducks and dove as well. I think longer barrells pattern better.

If you need one of those ring of fires, PM me your address. I have one laying around with all the parts and pieces. Ill send it to you..free.
I;ve always had a 28 inch barrel...I love the way it patterns, I'm confortable shooting it , walking through the woods with it but I've been hearing more and more about the shorter ones ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I never intend to own a shotgun with less than a 26" barrel with the possible exception of a home defense gun. All my repeaters are 26", my doubles are 28". I use all my guns for wingshooting as well as turkey hunting, and longer barrels outshoot shorter ones for wingshooting hands down. They have a bit more weight out front which leads to a smoother swing and follow through, not to mention higher velocity and less noise at your ears. Short barreled turkey guns are quite popular and rightly so I guess. They are just not for me. If the gun on my shoulder is catching on overhanging vegetation, I just slip it off my shoulder and carry it through the brush by my side. I grouse hunt in the nastiest cover imaginable and have no trouble getting a 28" barreled O/U through the woods.

As others have said, it is generally easier to get good patterns with a longer barrel, but the right choke/load can throw fantastic patterns from the shorties as well, if you are willing to do your homework. Don't let anyone tell you short barrels do not cost you velocity. It amounts to about 10 fps per inch. Only you can decide if that matters to you. It matters to me.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I use a 20" barrel on my Benelli M2, and I love it. Very manueverable and fast-pointing, while still throwing a great pattern. I use it for all my shooting, from turkeys to skeet and everything in between. The only negative is that my companions in the duck blind say that it's very loud.
savduck

Post by savduck »

HuntnMa wrote:
savduck wrote:I like 28 inch barrels. Always have all ways will. I use to use all my turkey guns for ducks and dove as well. I think longer barrells pattern better.

I;ve always had a 28 inch barrel...I love the way it patterns, I'm confortable shooting it , walking through the woods with it but I've been hearing more and more about the shorter ones ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Its a myth on the shorter ones. Size really does matter.
M Sharpe

Post by M Sharpe »

I have two that I turkey hunt with. One has a 24" barrel and the other a 26" barrel. I like the little bit longer sight plane than the real short barrels offer.
ccleroy

Barrel length

Post by ccleroy »

28" barrels on all my turkey rigs.....
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I use a 24" Browning Gold and 26" Maxus for turkeys. My Brother uses a stumpy 20" 835 that has a 2" Indian creek on it. He loves the manuerability. They all throw good patterns, usually the 835 even out patterns the Brownings. When wing shooting we both use a 26" barreled Maxus. Seems for turkey only, any barrel length will throw good patterns if you work at it. For an all around shotgun I would pick the 26" barrel length.
BrentM

Post by BrentM »

21" barrel on my 20 gauge with a flush fit choke. Every inch you can save in the woods makes it that much easier to get around...........especially after green up. I've ran a turkey off 2 different times trying to negotiate a vine in front of me and get my 28" barrel with extended turkey choke eased around it without pulling the tree down. Never again for me.
If you use HTL, you can probably use about as short a barrel as you want to and kill any turkey at a reasonable distance.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

savduck wrote:
HuntnMa wrote:

NOT :D

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
3toe

Post by 3toe »

BrentM wrote:21" barrel on my 20 gauge with a flush fit choke. Every inch you can save in the woods makes it that much easier to get around...........especially after green up. I've ran a turkey off 2 different times trying to negotiate a vine in front of me and get my 28" barrel with extended turkey choke eased around it without pulling the tree down. Never again for me.
If you use HTL, you can probably use about as short a barrel as you want to and kill any turkey at a reasonable distance.

Yep. Today's chokes and loads negate the issue of shorter barrels out to acceptable distances to kill gobblers. I wouldn't shoot an 18" barrel on doves but for a dedicated turkey gun I want it short and light.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I think my 12 gauge is 24" and my 20 gauge is 21". I like the shorter ones and get great patterns from both of them. Longer barrels get too heavy and the smaller ones are easier to maneuver.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
savduck

Post by savduck »

Johndoe wrote:

NOT :D[/quote]

Wondering if anyone would get my humor
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

savduck wrote:
Johndoe wrote:

NOT :D

Wondering if anyone would get my humor[/quote]

I got it but was trying to stay serious for a change, lol...... :angel4:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Yep Del. I was on such a roll that I got calls about my emails all day day Fri. My smartazz got the best out of me.

John

What's up with that
paladin

Post by paladin »

My shortest is 18.5"
I have a 24" on a single shot and several 24" and one 26".
I like the shorter barrels. I shoot tss and have a 20" that drops em dead at 45 yards.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”