Under Armour

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Under Armour

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I love UA stuff.. It holds up great, my cold gear top I bought 14 years ago for football and only last year started to lose some elasticity after 2 football 2 track and 12 seasons of constant use hunting..

But Holy Crap looking through a catalog I found countless different models of there base layer products that make it sound like you need a different set for each time the thermometer moves 5 degrees.. One top was 85 dollars and the bottoms were the same 170 bucks for a base layer.. :shock:

The other day Sal and I were at a sporting goods store and they had a women's semi fitted Nylon type turkey hunting suit like Treklite.. Sal fell in love as it actually fit right.. That was 140 bucks, for a paper thin suit.. I ultimately told her NO because it is only offered in Realtree and not Mossy Oak and she would ahve to hunt by herself wearing Realtree.

I own some expensive hunting clothing but dang this is getting ridiculous especially having to buy camo every time they come out with a new pattern.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Under Armour

Post by GLS »

I've got some UA that is just too hot. It's a heavier grade than I need. My favorite underwear, top, is made by Patagonia, the lightest weight, long sleeved. I wore it all season and it was never too hot and was perfect on cool mornings. I sent some to my nephew in Afghanistan where he served with a SF unit as a combat controller in the Khandajar region. In practically every photo he emailed back home he was wearing it. It beat govt. issue hands down.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I quit wearing underwear because of the price, so Under Armour is definitely out.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I'm all about some Under Armour! Best stuff since sliced bread. Gander Mountain has a UA rain jacket (not camo) that I want, but it's $150....just can't see me paying that for a rain jacket. Cabela's has it on clearance for $90, but only in medium. UA now has come out with a scent control spray, probably gonna have to try it out this year???
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

UA works great in the heat down here. when i sweat its like a nice cool breeze when the wind blows and hits it. I dont go anywhere in the woods without it.
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

I don't have much of it and while I like what I do have, it doesn't justify the cost. At least to me. For the cold it's hard to beat wool. In the heat there are a bunch of companies that make nice stuff. I do have a couple Ol Tom dura lite shirts that I feel are worth the money I paid for them. The pants while very nice are not.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

dirt road ninja wrote:I don't have much of it and while I like what I do have, it doesn't justify the cost. At least to me. For the cold it's hard to beat wool. In the heat there are a bunch of companies that make nice stuff. I do have a couple Ol Tom dura lite shirts that I feel are worth the money I paid for them. The pants while very nice are not.
Justify the cost??
I got both top and bottom camo long sleeves 17 bucks each at bps :compress:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

dirt road ninja wrote: I do have a couple Ol Tom dura lite shirts that I feel are worth the money I paid for them. The pants while very nice are not.
Can you elaborate
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
dirt road ninja wrote: I do have a couple Ol Tom dura lite shirts that I feel are worth the money I paid for them. The pants while very nice are not.
Can you elaborate
Sure, the shirts have a big mesh area in the back and under the arms with no flaps really covering them. The wind goes right thru it. The front pockets have these little lanyards in them, which I keep a crow call on. I don't like wearing things around my neck, so this is a very nice feature. The pockets are really two pockets per side. There is a big zipper pocket that opens up to down and it is big enough for a crow call, a pot call, and a striker or two. Then they have a button pocket on top of the zipper pocket. This one is big enough for a can of dip and a few mouth calls. Plus the pockets have a little magnet in them to keep them closed in the event that you forget too. The back of the shirt has a spine pad that can be removed. It works very well and beats sitting against a tree with no pad by mile. I hunt with mine removed most of the time because I hunt out of a lounger 90% of the time.
The pants, while very nice have lots of features I don't use. They are light weight and well made with a box call pocket on the side that holds a water bottle great (I don't use a box much), but the water heats up to fast sitting against my thigh. The slate pocket is nice, but when you’re sitting it’s hard to get to. I am just as happy wearing a pair of cheap Game Winner pants or old camo cargo pants. My first OL Tom shirt and pants were a gift and I have bought more shirts, but not the pants which are nice, just not for me.

Please don't think Im knocking them, that's just my opinion.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

No No I was just seeing if your experience was similar to mine.. I have alot of Ol Tom because of a relationship with Hooks..

I think the pocket design is the best laid out design ever and most times I do not use a vest.. I really wish they would however change a few things.. The leg pot call pocket is much to small for 99 percent of pots but does a nice job of holding snuff plus the drawstring on mine and Sals broke.. The box call pocket works well for my hoot n stick.. But one thing I did notice hunting them for probably 90 days over 2 years they fade worse than my MO trek lite.

As you said the locator tethers on the shirt are awesome.. I have broke some over the years getting them snagged on stuff.. When I wear something else, I find myself dropping my crow on the ground after use LOL

I actually trust the mouth call mesh on the shirt as well.. I have had a couple a vests with them over the years and you go for your call and its gone, the Ol tom keep the call contained.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Turkey Talker wrote:
dirt road ninja wrote:I don't have much of it and while I like what I do have, it doesn't justify the cost. At least to me. For the cold it's hard to beat wool. In the heat there are a bunch of companies that make nice stuff. I do have a couple Ol Tom dura lite shirts that I feel are worth the money I paid for them. The pants while very nice are not.
Justify the cost??
I got both top and bottom camo long sleeves 17 bucks each at bps :compress:
TT
Under Armor for $17 each. I have seen BPS take off of U/A for that but not U/A.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The Ol' Tom shirt is what I wear season long. It's not perfect, but the generous-sized pockets hold all I need. Despite some negatives I'm overall positive about the shirt. I do have dislikes. I don't like the waterproofed lined sleeves (half-lined, palm side of forearm) which are an elegant solution to a non-existent problem. If I wear a short-sleeved undershirt, sweat collects on my forearms and theyt stay clammy all morning. My lightweight Patagonia long-sleeve undershirt resolves that problem. I had to replace the cheap nylon zippers with brass ones after they stripped tracks. The magnet closures are unnecessary and force me to hold my compass damn near at arm's length to avoid the magnets' influence. Pants: I ditched those crazy knee pads. I felt like the Michelin Man playing SWAT team leader with them in the slots. The one cargo sized pocket holds my Thermocel when needed. The best thing he sold was discontinued. I bought 5 of his synthetic stretch tee shirts at $10@ close out. They are great for casual wear and sleeping. I wear them year round. I'd wear them turkey hunting but for the exterior shirt's waterproof sleeve lining.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Under Armour

Post by drenalinld »

The Treklite is my fave for warmer turkey hunting. I have the UA pants and shirt for turkey hunting and i like it a lot but it is warmer than Treklite.
UA cold gear is awesome if you are moving. I do not think the 3.0 gear is very warm at all for 4-6 hours on the stand. It does wick moisture well after sweating on a walk in to the stand.
savduck

Post by savduck »

I like the UA heat gear. They make 3X obession and Break up for us Fatboys. I like the trec light to. I wore them both all season. Glad I did.
BrentM

Under Armour

Post by BrentM »

I wear the ol Tom shirt and the trek lite pants. I have a pair of the ol Tom pants but they don't fit good and I have to pull them up around my eyes to get the knee pads to actually hang at my knees
swampbird

Under Armour

Post by swampbird »

The MO trek lite is where it's at. I hunt all over the US from March to May and have been to Mexico twice. I've hunted in every climate/terrain imaginable for turkeys...

You will not find a product that holds up and performs like treklite. I had 6 seasons on my treklite pants and they just finally gave out on me this past year. Those pants probably have seen action 40days a season for 6 years..
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I like it lots. I buy it at the factory outlet store for about 25% of retail. I do not think I would pay full price for it.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I love the stuff! I was at academy the other day and I needed a new cold gear under shirt, my old one was the mock turtle neck and I hated it being so tight around my neck. Anyhow I picked one up, tag said 54.99. I hated spending that but it's worth it. Got to the register the lady rang it up for 19.99!!! I said hold on and went back and got the pants, they too were 19.99. So I ended up getting 3 new sets of the cold gear under layers for $120 plus tax! And the new stuff is a regular fit so its not so tight. You buy your normal size. I only have a few under armour heat gear items. Couple short sleeve camo shirts and a polo style shirt. I usually wear those under my vest since it has long sleeves on it. However the best thing they make are their boxer briefs, never have another jungle-ass day in the woods!! Stay as cool as the other side of the pillow! WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!
Pass the biscuits!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Love me some UA and some Trek-Lite. I buy them after the season on sale. They dont wear out in the closet.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

swampbird wrote:The MO trek lite is where it's at. I hunt all over the US from March to May and have been to Mexico twice. I've hunted in every climate/terrain imaginable for turkeys...

You will not find a product that holds up and performs like treklite. I had 6 seasons on my treklite pants and they just finally gave out on me this past year. Those pants probably have seen action 40days a season for 6 years..
I have a few pairs of the trek lite pants. My original pair is regular mossy oak break up and believe it or not they're about 12 years old. I still wear them from time to time. I like the zip off leg, makes the ride home alot cooler. The one thing I don't like is they don't breathe to good. They're good on cooler mornings with a layer of UA. But some warmer evenings I stay pretty hot in them. So I have cut back wearing them on hotter days. Maybe it's just me but being sweaty and nylon doesn't mix to well!
Pass the biscuits!!
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Heads up,

Dicks Sporting Goods here in Florida just put all the winter camo on markdown.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
tha bugman

Post by tha bugman »

My Union Suit does just fine...thank you very much!
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

swampbird wrote:The MO trek lite is where it's at. I hunt all over the US from March to May and have been to Mexico twice. I've hunted in every climate/terrain imaginable for turkeys...

I agree 100% :mrgreen:. I finally got some new ones this year. I've been wearing some of the original stuff when it was in realtree hardwoods for a long time and its got one little tear in the leg where it got hooked on some metal I couldnt see. Shirt still looks awesome
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Just saw this posted on their website as a new item...............I'm thinking we all need one???

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/m ... 235344-356
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Saw that at the convention Kevin.. It is cool

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”