Gun Oil: My Pick and Reasons Why

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Sloppy_Snood

Gun Oil: My Pick and Reasons Why

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

As a degreed chemist, I can tell you not all lubricants are created equal. As such, I have tooled around in stores, the internet, machine shops, mechanics' shops, etc. looking for one of "the best" gun oil lubricants.

While many "decent" gun oils are available, most have their shortcomings. In particular, oil break down under high temperature and shearing, ability to remain "fee-flowing" at cold temperatures, and having adequate adherence to metal surfaces for retaining "thin films" (of oil/additive).

In my search I did identify a very interesting video that seems to validate (with PROOF!) my good experiences with a particular gun oil from the Steel Shield Technologies, Inc. company called WeaponShield. Watch this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qtf2yVH0g[/youtube]

I have previously used the Shooter's Choice FP-10 gun oil with great success for many years (i.e. it is a great gun oil ;) ) but never really liked the base oil in the formulation (plain mineral oil) and desired to "discover" the best gun oil money could buy. Tall task but after talking to lubrication engineers and A LOT of reading and research and now a year's worth of actual field use, I can honestly convey that WeaponShield (WS) is the real deal.

I have run WS on the range, shooting competition, storage in the gun safe, and sluggunning in the Indiana fall rain. This last year's WS experiences range from single digit temepratures through the extreme 108 degree F summer heat of 2012: zero semi-automatic shotgun malfunctions due to lubrication issues. Combine this with its 100% non-toxic composition and small physical amount of WS used for gun lubrication, it is a "Win-Win" product.

LINK: WeaponShield CLP Gun Oil (Click Here)

WS appears to be cheapest via mail order at Watts Truck Center:

LINK: Watt's Truck Center for WeaponShield (Click Here)

Watt's Truck Center, Inc
8059 Route 22
P.O. Box 707
New Alexandria, PA 15670
TEL: 1-888-304-6225

Note: I am not affiliated with nor do not work for any company producing firearms lubricants, Watt's Truck Center, nor am I an internet message board salesman.

So what is in Weapon Shield lubricant? A forum member over at an oil discussion forum sent a sample of virgin Weapon Shield oil in to an oil analysis lab for analysis. Here is what is actually in the oil in the bottle:

Long chain Chloroparaffins 27-32%
Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) approx. 1%
Ca Sufonate 0.5-1%
Base oil Low or Mid VI 66 to 71.5%

The long chain chloroparaffins are the extreme pressure (EP) agent that makes the product perform so well. ZDDP is a known and commonly used anti-scuffing/lubricity agent used in motor oils. Calcium sulfonate is the ingredient that assists in corrosion inhibition. The base oil is a synthetic base oil utilized as a carrying agent for the other ingredients.

It is my sincere hope that you are more than pleased with your current firearms' lubricant(s). IF you are looking for a "better mousetrap," my chemist's opinion is that WeaponShield is worth your $10-$20 for a try.

Feel free to post your thoughts, firearms lubricant of choice, and especially ANY lubricant data you can find on-line for everyone to see and assess for themselves. Cheers! 8-)
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on June 30th, 2018, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
ArkansasDon

Re: Gun Oil: My Pick and Reasons Why

Post by ArkansasDon »

use it i the shop Scott, good stuff
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I've really never strayed away from Hoppes Solvent and Remington Oil, cause thats what I used in the Military, and what I used before that.
Thanks for the info.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Oh Lordy, not Sloppy's gun oil recommendation..................do you know how much trouble I got in over posting that on OG.................God forbid we pass a little good information along to other hunters / shooters, etc...............what since would that make.

Well, on the other hand, I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your research and thanks for sharing it with people who respect you and your opinions!

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

That is why I love the internet and the openness of the members on here. Great information.

But.

Your links and testing data seem to present a very good case for this oil for equipment being subjected to high speed, heavy frictional loads in a fairly wide temperature range. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but is this really the cycling scenario that my turkey gun will ever see, or any hunting gun for that matter? There was no real information that showed why WeaponShield CLP Gun Oil was superior to RemOil, for instance, for the light oiling of a gun's exterior to stave off rust. A drop here and there on the internal moving parts are just about as far my lubrication needs extend. That's it.

FullChoke
Central MS
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

FullChoke wrote:Your links and testing data seem to present a very good case for this oil for equipment being subjected to high speed, heavy frictional loads in a fairly wide temperature range. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but is this really the cycling scenario that my turkey gun will ever see, or any hunting gun for that matter? There was no real information that showed why WeaponShield CLP Gun Oil was superior to RemOil, for instance, for the light oiling of a gun's exterior to stave off rust. A drop here and there on the internal moving parts are just about as far my lubrication needs extend. That's it. -FullChoke
Hi FullChoke. :wave:

Your points regarding high-speed and heavy frictional loads is one of many reasons why WeaponShield CLP is the gun oil to use for turkey guns to 1911 pistols to fully-automatic machine guns. Frictional wear during high speed loading of moving metal parts is experienced every time the semi-auto bolt flies back. It is on the order of milliseconds in duration but the high load force is there and if inadequate lubrication is present (or excessive dirt/fouling), you will have a miscycle of the bolt. :shock:

There is plenty of information at the links and countless videos on youtube. The inventor, George C. Fennell (tribologist and lubrication engineer), actually developed the field of elastohydrodynamic lubrication with chlorinated parrafins years ago. He wrote a nice article about improving the functional reliability of guns and the advantages of the chemistry in WeaponShield over all other CLP gun oils.

LINK: Improving the Functional Reliability of Weapons by George C. Fennel (Click Here)

Advantages of WeaponShield over mineral oil-based gun oils (RemOil, Hoppes, etc.) and other Cleaning-Lubrication-Preservative (CLP) gun oils:
  • 100% Non-toxic chemical composition
  • 50-time increase in metal-to-metal lubricity over all other gun oils & CLPs
  • chemically permeates the metal surfaces in order to leave a boundary film on the metal
  • electrostatic repulsion of dirt and fouling to the metal surfaces
  • easy lead, copper, powder residue fouling removal by "getting between" the fouling and the base metal surface(s)
  • no added Teflon or other solid lubricants that will gum up actions in lower temperatures (waterfowling)
  • superior rust prevention of metal
  • extremely low application rate (e.g. couple drops on a slide raceway)
Mineral oils like RemOil and Hoppes are strictly base, inexpensive mineral oil lubricants. They DO NOT clean or preserve well without frequent application. They work fine for basic lubrication but why wouldn't someone want the best lubrication you could get when the shot of a lifetime comes by... :?: :scratch:

But hey, do not take my word for it! Experience it FREE OF CHARGE. George will send you a 1/4 oz. WeaponShield oiler pen for free if you just e-mail him and ask. Apply it and compare to your RemOil and evaluate. You will actually feel the difference by simply cycling your action. IT will be "budda." :thumbup:

You can request a free WeaponShield oiler pen by completing the form at (they will need your mailing address)

LINK: http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage ... tion-.html

or you can e-mail George at: support@steelshieldtech.com or gcfennell@steelshieldtech.com
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on August 13th, 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Fair enough. I just sent them a request for the sample.

FullChoke
Central MS
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Great stuff....I use it for all my lubrication needs (well, almost all of 'em!)! :D
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Watt's Truck Center..................... is just down the road a few miles from home. Good to know I've got a local place to get the stuff.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:Watt's Truck Center..................... is just down the road a few miles from home. Good to know I've got a local place to get the stuff.
Yep.

And you will love the cinnamon scent. ;)
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on June 30th, 2018, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdqt

Post by pdqt »

Thanks sent for sample. Some people that read these threads may get a lot of use out of it. :thumbup:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

yeah i just sent for a sample too. thanks man!
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Proud owner of a pint. I used it on my door lock/key, slick as snot on a glass doorknob. I used to have to work to get my key in the lock, not any more.
"INFIDEL"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Sloppy,
While it's not metal to metal, do you think WS would be a good rail lubricant for a crossbow? Ten Point recommends a product called Microlon, but I have no idea what is in it? Thanks.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Spuriosity wrote:Sloppy,
While it's not metal to metal, do you think WS would be a good rail lubricant for a crossbow? Ten Point recommends a product called Microlon, but I have no idea what is in it? Thanks.
Yes I do think it would be a good lubricant for a crossbow application. It will adhere to the rail metal but I do not know its level of adhesion to a carbon arrow shaft or the such.

Based on what I have read, Microlon might be a better choice for a non-metal surface. The reason for this is that Microlon is essentially a variety of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) suspension (i.e. it is a "Teflon" solid polymer). PTFE-based lubricants are dry film lubricants and do adhere to non-metals effectively to reduce friction. 8-) PTFE is what makes Gun Juice "work."

According to Microlon's own MSDS information on "Gun Juice," the product consists of petroleum hydrocarbons, trimethyl benzene, Stoddard solvent (i.e. mineral spirits), napthalene, and xylenes plus some level of PTFE. :shock: With the exception of PTFE, all of the other organic chemicals listed in the product are listed on the Toxic Substances Control Act Substance Inventory. In short, wear gloves when you apply Gun Juice or Microlon products; its organic solvents are absorbed through the skin readily. PTFE won't hurt you under normal conditions as it is chemically inert in 99.99% of the environments in which it is utilized. 8-)

Source: Microlon Gun Juice MSDS Information (Click Here)
Last edited by Sloppy_Snood on June 30th, 2018, 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:Sloppy,
Yes I do think it would be a good lubricant for a crossbow application. It will adhere to the rail metal but I do not know its level of adhesion to a carbon arrow shaft or the such.

Based on what I have read, Microlon might be a better choice for a non-metal surface. The reson for this is that Microlon is essentially a variety of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) suspension (i.e. it is a "Teflon" solid polymer). PTFE-based lubricants are dry film lubricants and do adhere to non-metals effectively to reduce friction. 8-) PTFE is what makes Gun Juice "work."
Perhaps that is why they recommend Microlon. The rail is not bare metal, but has been camo dipped, although I am using aluminum bolts. Thanks for the info.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

I bumped this thread up to see if anyone other than TurkeyTalker has received a free 1/4 oz. WeaponShield Oiler Pen after a request from the company. Anyone actually receive their free sample yet??? :?: :dontknow:
pdqt

Post by pdqt »

Yes I got mine sooner than I expected. I got an e mail about the request, and very promp delivery. :thumbup:
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Not me over two weeks and no email or test product! If that changes I will re post!
Last edited by mossy835 on August 29th, 2012, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Got mine last Friday. Haven't used it yet.
Central MS
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

For those guys that have not received your free sample, please e-mail George Fennel and let him know. He will rectifiy the situation for those who are still waiting.

E-mail for George Fennell is gcfennell@steelshieldtech.com
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:For those guys that have not received your free sample, please e-mail George Fennel and let him know. He will rectifiy the situation for those who are still waiting.

Sent third email a moment ago, will wait and see?

Thanks
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

mossy835 wrote:
Sloppy_Snood wrote:For those guys that have not received your free sample, please e-mail George Fennel and let him know. He will rectifiy the situation for those who are still waiting.

Thanks

We’ll double check it.

George C. Fennell, L.E.

President - Technical Division

Steel Shield Technologies, Inc.

www.steelshieldtech.com

www.weaponshield.com

FB Weapon Shield Group
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

mossy835 wrote:
mossy835 wrote:

Thanks

We’ll double check it.

George C. Fennell, L.E.

President - Technical Division

Steel Shield Technologies, Inc.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com

http://www.weaponshield.com

FB Weapon Shield Group
Sample arrived so we will try it out and see.Thanks Mike

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”