Sock suggestions

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
LAturkey

Sock suggestions

Post by LAturkey »

I’ve always had a problem with my feet sweating a lot and more annoying than that rubbing holes in my socks and having my boots rub on my ankles. Does anybody know a good pair of thin socks make for hiking boot or for walking long distances? Thanks
decoykrvr

Re: Sock suggestions

Post by decoykrvr »

Years ago, on the advice of a skier, I started wearing two pairs of socks, both summer and winter. Wear a pair of thin polypropylene socks as a base layer and a wool-blend sock over them. I vary the weight and thickness of the wool-blend depending on the season and temperature. The polypro wicks moisture from the feet into the outer sock keeping the feet dry and warm.
Fdept56

Post by Fdept56 »

I really like Darn Toughs and Wig-Wams. I haven’t tried enough of the DTs to find one thin enough my feet won’t sweat, but it’s not as big of a deal as it would be in cotton socks. They are costly but the DTs have a lifetime warranty, not sure about the WWs.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

decoykrvr wrote: March 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm Years ago, on the advice of a skier, I started wearing two pairs of socks, both summer and winter. Wear a pair of thin polypropylene socks as a base layer and a wool-blend sock over them. I vary the weight and thickness of the wool-blend depending on the season and temperature. The polypro wicks moisture from the feet into the outer sock keeping the feet dry and warm.
:thumbleft: This is the best solution that I have found so far.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Fox River makes ultra light weight Alturas wick dry socks which are about $7.50/ pair. I wear the liner socks when waterfowl hunting, turkey hunting, hiking,and fly fishing when wearing waders. The socks will usually last several years when properly dried and rotated and greatly extend the life of the wool blend outer layer socks. I also try to put my boots on a Peet boot dryer after a hunt which aids in keeping your feet warmer and dryer, but will extend the life of the boots and reduce bacteria/mold and odor.
Last edited by decoykrvr on March 29th, 2019, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

A lot depends on your idea of long hikes and terrain.

My feet sweat a lot when hiking. I do not wear insulated boots if hiking, even in winter (unless it's really cold). I do not wear rubber boots unless it's necessary (I know that I have to cross water). I've never cared for the layered system. I like a thinner wool blend. Smart wool makes various thicknesses for different applications.

For everyday wear in warm weather, I wear a simple And1 crew sock from Walmart that is 98% polypropylene and 2% spandex. They aren't high end socks, but I wore them in a pair of uninsulated Kennetreks in September on a few occasions last year to avoid sweating. The only problem was I needed a thicker sock to keep my heel from slipping. I didn't wear any holes in them and will wear them with lightweight boots for turkeys if it warms up and on relatively short hunts.

What I do not wear hiking anywhere...... cotton. It'll turn my feet to hamburger.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I wear Nike Dri-Fit and WigWams. I really like the WW's better, but I just found them so I don't have a long term use review. They are comfy, USA made, and lifetime warranty.
LAturkey

Post by LAturkey »

Thanks for all the suggestion. I really have a problem with my heel slipping when going up steep hills once my feet have started to. I’ve always worn cotton socks but I’m about to ditch those
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I wear the Cabela's liner socks, when I wear socks. I hunt in Merrill sandals alot
coconut

Post by coconut »

For me it starts with good fitting boots that aren’t to hot to begin with. All I ever wear is ankle socks after that. The long socks fall down my chicken legs and ball up in my boot.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

LAturkey wrote: March 29th, 2019, 9:27 am Thanks for all the suggestion. I really have a problem with my heel slipping when going up steep hills once my feet have started to. I’ve always worn cotton socks but I’m about to ditch those

Definitely ditch the cotton, but you'll also need to find a boot/sock combo that doesn't slip.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

decoykrvr wrote: March 28th, 2019, 8:29 pm Years ago, on the advice of a skier, I started wearing two pairs of socks, both summer and winter. Wear a pair of thin polypropylene socks as a base layer and a wool-blend sock over them. I vary the weight and thickness of the wool-blend depending on the season and temperature. The polypro wicks moisture from the feet into the outer sock keeping the feet dry and warm.
Yep, totally agree, but I don't have a big problem with my feet sweating, now my azz crack................that's a different story :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I like Under Armour socks.........I guess since I'm their spokes model I get them free and that helps :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A couple of years ago, I had my seamstress cut out the crotch of my new Ole Tom camo pants and expertly replace it with MultiCam mesh nylon camo material which i had purchased to make face mask. Since I don't wear the britches to society/social functions or out in public, they serve their purpose perfectly. However, I did wear the pants into a grocery store to purchase beer after a hunt and didn't garner any more stares than I usually do and wasn't asked to leave, so the mesh camo must have worked. I honestly don't know why one of the hunting clothing manufacturers hasn't jumped on this innovation since it really keeps the "tackle box and area" cool and comfortable.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

You wearing waterproof boots? Those breathable membranes aren't. Try a pair of Bridgedale Trekkers for socks. The price is obscene but they last a long time.
MAK

Post by MAK »

Years ago, on the advice of a skier, I started wearing two pairs of socks, both summer and winter. Wear a pair of thin polypropylene socks as a base layer and a wool-blend sock over them. I vary the weight and thickness of the wool-blend depending on the season and temperature. The polypro wicks moisture from the feet into the outer sock keeping the feet dry and warm.

^^^^^

This works
MAK
jryser

Post by jryser »

MAK wrote:Years ago, on the advice of a skier, I started wearing two pairs of socks, both summer and winter. Wear a pair of thin polypropylene socks as a base layer and a wool-blend sock over them. I vary the weight and thickness of the wool-blend depending on the season and temperature. The polypro wicks moisture from the feet into the outer sock keeping the feet dry and warm.

^^^^^

This works
+1

Having had over 10 surgeries for spina bifida on each one of my feet, the poly propylene liner is an absolute must. I have few were breakdowns and when I do they heal quickly with this combination. I’m Neuropathic so I can’t really feel hot and cold so I have to really protect my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”