TSS shot diameters

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
decoykrvr

TSS shot diameters

Post by decoykrvr »

Could someone please direct me to give the nominal shot size diameters for TSS #8,9, 9/12,10, and 11 shot in mm. I think that Standard Scientific Metric Sieves would be the ticket for separating TSS shot recovered from a shot trap. The sieves are available on E-Bay for about $11.00 each or less/delivered from the Chinaman. As a biologist, I used the sieves a lot processing benthic and larval samples and they should work fine in separating the various shot sizes. Look up "sieve" and scroll down for several listings of the sieve's made in China. The really good Fisher Scientific Standard Metric Sieves start at @ $50.00 and are probably overkill and I don't have a clue as to where they are currently manufactured.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS shot diameters

Post by redarrow »

The chart I have only shows 7 8 8.5 and 9. 2.50 , 2.25, 2.13, and 2.0. This info has been posted before. Do a search.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I might be wrong, but what I have seen is the diameter matches conventional lead sizes. The number per ounce varies with density.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I've searched and can find no listing specifically for TSS and the diameters in mm of lead varies on different charts/listings ie., 8's, from 2.25-3.02 mm.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I tried like hell to find a sieve to separate 8's and 9's and never did find one, I ended up buying a salt shaker and drilling the holes out to let the 9's pass but hold the 8's and it worked GREAT. :cheers:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm and another one I can't remember, maybe SAAMI is what I compared to.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Interestingly enough, all of the TSS manufacturers/brokers I found list their spheres in even mm's. Turkeyinstrut, great idea on the salt shaker. Do you remember the bit diameter for the 9's?
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

decoykrvr wrote: March 21st, 2018, 1:19 pm Interestingly enough, all of the TSS manufacturers/brokers I found list their spheres in even mm's. Turkeyinstrut, great idea on the salt shaker. Do you remember the bit diameter for the 9's?
#44 (.086")
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Thanks!! I'm on it!! A #44 bit is listed as 2.18 mm.

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”