Lacrosse Venom 18" Snake Boots with side zip

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
ncturkey

Lacrosse Venom 18" Snake Boots with side zip

Post by ncturkey »

Does anyone have the Lacrosse Venom 18" Snake Boots with side zip? If so did you like them. Thanks
Mike
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lacrosse Venom 18" Snake Boots with side zip

Post by turkeyinstrut »

If your question is in regards to the zipper I just bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn snake boots with the side zippers and I love them (my old pronghorn snake boots didn't have the zippers). The zippers makes them a lot easier to get on and off although I am not sure how long the zippers will hold up.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks
Mike
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Nothing quite like stringing up a pair of snake boots to make one appreciate zippers. I was hunting with an old buddy over last weekend and he was sending back his pair of lace up Russell boots to have zippers installed. He was told when measured for them that they were the largest pair they recall making. Bill is a big fella. I got measured for a pair like Hart's last month. My choice included the inside zipper and eyelets to the top. I never mastered the stud fasteners as they always seemed to work loose. Folks with high insteps (me) can't use slip ons. If it is big enough to slip on, the foot size is too large for my foot. Gil
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I have a pair and like the idea of the zipper on the boots but the drawback for me is there is no way to get the boot tight around your foot and heel like you can with a lace up boot. If I am going to one farm I hunt, I like to wear them as I don't have to walk far and they are easy on and easy off. On that farm I have to "deer hunt" the turkey (just set and wait on them)
I hunted the other farm I have access to this year wearing these boots and got a blister about the size of a nickle on my heel (but I got the bird so that is what matters)

I still have a pair of Rocky snake boots from the first year they came out, and they are about worn out, but still don't leak unless I just stand in water with them. I have been looking for a pair that I could tighten up around my foot and still have a zipper on but have not one.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Pullit, Rocky and others (Russell) make lace up boots that also have side zippers. The laces tighten the boot in places of concern and the zipper facilitates removal and putting them back on. In theory. I still have to loosen laces with my Rockys to put them on. But the zipper sure helps speed things up.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

GLS wrote:Pullit, Rocky and others (Russell) make lace up boots that also have side zippers. The laces tighten the boot in places of concern and the zipper facilitates removal and putting them back on. In theory. I still have to loosen laces with my Rockys to put them on. But the zipper sure helps speed things up.
Not to hijack this thread but the newer Rocky's have a rep. of leaking, are these waterproof or do they leak as well?
Sorry for the hijack
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Pullit, I have gone through two pairs of Rockys and one pair of LaCrosse "breathable" but "waterproof" over the years. None have had lasting waterproof qualities ranging from a full season down to a couple of hunts. Recommended treatment sprays didn't do the job. Other than rubber lined boots, I am skeptical of all claims of boots being waterproof. I've gotten wet feet walking through dew soaked grass with so called "waterproof" boots. The past two seasons I've worn LeChameau Chasseurs which are latex rubber with leather lining and side zippers. They are the most comfortable footgear I have. They aren't snake proof but last season I wore them with feather weight Turtleskin gaiters which offered protection for the legs but not the feet. Gil
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

GLS wrote:Pullit, I have gone through two pairs of Rockys and one pair of LaCrosse "breathable" but "waterproof" over the years. None have had lasting waterproof qualities ranging from a full season down to a couple of hunts. Recommended treatment sprays didn't do the job. Other than rubber lined boots, I am skeptical of all claims of boots being waterproof. I've gotten wet feet walking through dew soaked grass with so called "waterproof" boots. The past two seasons I've worn LeChameau Chasseurs which are latex rubber with leather lining and side zippers. They are the most comfortable footgear I have. They aren't snake proof but last season I wore them with feather weight Turtleskin gaiters which offered protection for the legs but not the feet. Gil
Gil, if you want 100% waterproof boots you are going to have to go with Gore-Tex boots other than rubber, when you purchase a pair of boots most manufactures only offer a short warranty period (like a year) but Gore-Tex themselves have a lifetime guarantee not to leak, last year they (Gore-Tex) replaced a pair of Danner Pronghorn snake boots for me that was 6 years old.
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

turkeyinstrut wrote:Gil, if you want 100% waterproof boots you are going to have to go with Gore-Tex boots other than rubber, when you purchase a pair of boots most manufactures only offer a short warranty period (like a year) but Gore-Tex themselves have a lifetime guarantee not to leak, last year they (Gore-Tex) replaced a pair of Danner Pronghorn snake boots for me that was 6 years old.
Please tell me (pm's fine) how you managed this? I've got a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are about the same age and they began to leak this past spring. Now I usually clean and coat them with mink oil twice a year and they are fine from turkey season through early deer season but I'm thinking my luck has finally run out since just walking in tall wet grass leave my feet wet.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I wasn't aware of the GoreTex separate warranty. I've had GoreTex rain gear that wasn't worth a hoot. Having to spray or oil GoreTex products would seem to clog up the membrane, but that's what Rocky said to do. Hate to disagree, but rubber boots are 100% waterproof from the outside; as long as you can control foot perspiration with thick socks, feet stay dry. I've worn the Chasseurs two seasons of wet and cold woodcock hunting and turkey season and no wet feet. It would take a puncture or water over the tops to wet my feet. Gil
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Shellwaster wrote:
turkeyinstrut wrote:Gil, if you want 100% waterproof boots you are going to have to go with Gore-Tex boots other than rubber, when you purchase a pair of boots most manufactures only offer a short warranty period (like a year) but Gore-Tex themselves have a lifetime guarantee not to leak, last year they (Gore-Tex) replaced a pair of Danner Pronghorn snake boots for me that was 6 years old.
Please tell me (pm's fine) how you managed this? I've got a pair of Danner Pronghorns that are about the same age and they began to leak this past spring. Now I usually clean and coat them with mink oil twice a year and they are fine from turkey season through early deer season but I'm thinking my luck has finally run out since just walking in tall wet grass leave my feet wet.
PM Sent
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

GLS wrote:I wasn't aware of the GoreTex separate warranty. I've had GoreTex rain gear that wasn't worth a hoot. Having to spray or oil GoreTex products would seem to clog up the membrane, but that's what Rocky said to do. Hate to disagree, but rubber boots are 100% waterproof from the outside; as long as you can control foot perspiration with thick socks, feet stay dry. I've worn the Chasseurs two seasons of wet and cold woodcock hunting and turkey season and no wet feet. It would take a puncture or water over the tops to wet my feet. Gil
Anything that has the Gore-Tex membrane has a lifetime warranty by Gore-Tex, when my Pronghorns started leaking last spring I called Danner and they said they only had a 1 year warranty but they said if I called Gore-Tex that they would warranty them, well the first thing I though was Yea Right. Well I contacted Gore-Tex and they helped me through the process of getting a warranty claim started and when it was all said and done they had Danner ship me a new pair of the Pronghorn snake boots, all in all it took about a month but they came through for me. I have wore nothing but Gore-Tex boots (work and hunting) for the last 20 years or more and I honestly believe if anyone would try them they would never go back.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks guy.
Mike

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”