thoughts on red dot mounts

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Tidewater Tom

thoughts on red dot mounts

Post by Tidewater Tom »

I'm committed to having Burris Ff llls on both of our turkey shotguns next year. The guns are drilled and tapped from the factory. However, I like the idea of not using the Burris Speedbead instead of a picatinny rail. Any thoughts on the Speedbead mount?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: thoughts on red dot mounts

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Some people like the speed bead deal, but I never have. Look into the Burris 336 mount (or sumtoy equivalent) since you are already drilled and tapped.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Personally I love the Speed Bead mount, I recently bought myself a Benelli M2 20 ga. and my daughter a Franchi Affinity 20 ga. compact, I put a Speed Bead mount on the M2 and I am in the process of getting one modified for the Affinity (Burris does not make one specifically for it). This is the first year I have used a FastFire III and I love it, I have a 11-87 Super Mag with a SpeedDot on it and always liked it but I think I like the FF III better.
Tidewater Tom

Post by Tidewater Tom »

Southern Sportsman wrote:Some people like the speed bead deal, but I never have. Look into the Burris 336 mount (or sumtoy equivalent) since you are already drilled and tapped.
Thanks. Good info!
Tidewater Tom

Post by Tidewater Tom »

turkeyinstrut wrote:Personally I love the Speed Bead mount, I recently bought myself a Benelli M2 20 ga. and my daughter a Franchi Affinity 20 ga. compact, I put a Speed Bead mount on the M2 and I am in the process of getting one modified for the Affinity (Burris does not make one specifically for it). This is the first year I have used a FastFire III and I love it, I have a 11-87 Super Mag with a SpeedDot on it and always liked it but I think I like the FF III better.
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

I have a speed bead on a Beretta 391 youth 20 gauge and like it very much. It mounts the site low enough that I can use the bead in the case of a dead battery. I switched to the FF3 because I switched to TSS this year and it is so tight that I needed to adjust my POA. On the speed bead you just need to be sure that you get the allen screw that pushes the plastic button against the stock snug but not overly tight. Tighten just enough so that any movement of the mount is eliminated. I am sure that the speed bead is not as secure as a D&T with a 336 mount but I sure like mine.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

So, does the speedbead mount hold zero or not?
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

All I can tell you is that I sighted it in, shot three times and killed three gobblers between 23 and 53 yards, in each case the birds were very dead and the damage was to the neck and head only. I plan on taking it off the gun so my son can hunt upland birds with it in the fall and will reinstall next spring.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

howl wrote:So, does the speedbead mount hold zero or not?
No reason for it not to hold zero, it mounts between the stock and receiver with little dowels that stick into the stock and receiver. Very solid mount IMHO and you don't have to drill and tap your receiver.
aristico

Post by aristico »

Sumtoy mount is sweet
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Yes sir Burris 336 is the way to go or sumtoy as its beefier imo

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”