GoPro Camera

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GoPro Camera

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Hey guys and girls, I'm looking around at the GoPro cameras. I really don't need one, but 1/2 of my hunting stuff I have I didn't need. I'm just reaching out to see if any of you all have one and what model. I'm not looking to do any professional videoing or anything, just recording some stuff from my treestand or when I'm turkey hunting. I would appreciate any advice you all have and can offer up. I did just go online and they have a new small one out called the SESSION. I don't need one that does 10,000 things, just a compact personal video recorder.

Thanks,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Bigspurs68

Re: GoPro Camera

Post by Bigspurs68 »

We use Ultra pro x cameras and they do a great job. The price is almost impossible to beat. No matter what camera you choose, don't get hung up on go pro only. There are many great POV cameras out there. In our videos I attach them to the gun, pointed back at the shooter. It captures emotion very well. Good luck.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I thought your "Camoman Prostaff" member did all your filming. :roll:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

That's true Red, but I'm gonna try to do some myself. I just get tire of all the HOOPLA when it comes to videoing!

On another note, I spoke to a guy I work with today regarding cameras. He said he has a GoPro and does not like it for hunting. He said the field of view is too wide to video hunting. He said that a turkey at 40 yards just looks like a black dot. I was looking at using it for filming from my treestand and turkey hunting, not putting on my gun and pointing it at me. I really like the Ultra Pro X camera that was recommended and will probably be the one I go with it I get one.

Thanks,

Kevin
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GoPro Camera

Post by killerstump »

Look up the garmin verb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GoPro Camera

Post by killerstump »

https://youtu.be/FzVYfrrBYEE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Let us know what you go with and how you like it. I've been thinking about one myself.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

If I get one, it will be the one Bigspurs68 recommended. It's the Ultra Pro X Cam 10. I think I can get it on ebay or Amazon for $110 which includes 15-20 attachments. You can also get a camo case to cover it with. It has very good reviews online.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

The ultra pro 10 does real good but...like all of the small POV cameras, it has a wide field of view. They are really neat for some different camera angles but none of the small cameras are going to capture a quality video of a bird that is outside of 15 yds or so without squinting to see it.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

For those of you that have an Ultra Pro could you post some video and pics . Maybe discuss the yardage also. Thanks.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

redarrow wrote:For those of you that have an Ultra Pro could you post some video and pics . Maybe discuss the yardage also. Thanks.
I'll message you and give you a site to watch some footage. My video sharing skills don't exist. Lol.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

You will not like a GoPro for good hunting videos. Like someone said, it is too wide and angle. The turkey and deer etc will look like small dots. You need a good HD camera with a zoom and a remote.

If you are stuck on a gopro....go to ebay and get one of the china made ones and try it our for about $50. I use one of those to record softball games and they look every bit as good as a $400 go pro and if they get damaged or rained on...I just go buy another.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Bigspurs68 wrote:The ultra pro 10 does real good but...like all of the small POV cameras, it has a wide field of view. They are really neat for some different camera angles but none of the small cameras are going to capture a quality video of a bird that is outside of 15 yds or so without squinting to see it.
Well, my wife got me the Ultra Pro X camera for my big 50th on Big Suprs recommendation! I haven't done much with it yet, but it seems really nice. The only downfall apparently to all action cams is the volume for recording while it's in the waterproof case. My case is camo so that's what I like to keep it in. I have no idea why I wanted one of these things, but I think I'm gonna like it.

Kevin
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

As far as the volume, you can get a spare camo waterproof case fairly cheap. If you want dust and bump protection, drill a hole in one case where the mic is. For wet applications, use the other case and skip the sound.
Have fun with it!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Great idea....yea, more for bump type protection. I doubt I do much with it in the rain and most likely nothing under water. I think the case is only like $10!

Thanks again,

Kevin
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

So I drilled the holes in the waterproof camo case. It made a big difference. I used it tonight with no case and all and there wasn't much difference in having the case on or not.

Thanks again BigSpur......and for any of you guys looking for a good economical camera, definitely look at this model.....I've been really impressed so far with what I've recorded...

Kevin
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Welcome. They definitely aren't the same as a big camera but you can capture some pretty neat video with them at times. I shared a picture on GN facebook page of a huge spurred gobbler. That pic was taken with a Ultra Pro 10. That wrist remote is handy.
florahunter19

Post by florahunter19 »

I use the GoPro Session and turn the recording light off, so it doesn't blink red when it's recording. I have some footage from a previous hunt that we did not kill anything on but the sound is remarkable as you can hear the turkeys in the distance
forkedlighting

Post by forkedlighting »

I have a go pro 4 @ 20 yds turkeys looks he at least 50 dud away I don't even take mine anymore a good cell beats it all to pieces

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Meleagris

Post by Meleagris »

I got a GoPro 2 years ago and did videos of several hunts. I was very disappointed simply because the field of view was way too wide for filming the turkey. This past season I tried a Tactacam and was well pleased. It has a 5x zoom setting and it really captured the hunt. Good audio as well. I just used their gun mount and mounted it under the barrel.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

I too have the Tactacam 4.0, got it for Christmas last year and am very pleased with it.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

So I know this is an old post, but I wanted to update it. I used this camera last deer season and turkey season with no problems. All the sudden at the beginning of the 2017 deer season it froze up. I have to take the battery out to turn it off. When I try to turn it on, the home screen just freezes. I've contacted the company and basically their responses SUCK. They email me back, but it may be weeks. I've been dealing with them for probably 6-7 weeks now and I'm about DONE! I realize I didn't pay a lot for this camera, but some type of customer service would be appreciated. They told me to format my SD card and try this, try that and none of it worked. I emailed them back a week and a half ago and....no reply. I appreciate BigSpur recommending this camera to me and glad they work great for him, but I'm not too happy. I do have to say, when it worked, it really worked good and took great videos and I would love to get it back on track.

Just my .02!

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”