Bottomland.....original or current???

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Ok GN, I have to ask all you Mossy Oak boys what do you prefer more as an effective turkey pattern (clothing, dips, ect.)? Original Bottomland or the current generation?
Being in the Midwest and whitetails as my #1 prey, camo isn't as important as wind direction, scent control, and remaining still in a tree.
When I first got into hunting, MO first launched and I remember getting their first catalog and and buying a chamois coverall in original bottomland. Wish I still had that catalog. Anyways, just thought I would drum up some conversation on Bottomland. After reading GA's post on the MO sale, I want to purchase a button down shirt. So which pattern?
taylorjones20

Re: Bottomland.....original or current???

Post by taylorjones20 »

I like the new bottomland better. Currently having the stock and forearm of my SBE2 dipped in the new bottomland and the metal parts cerakoted.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I like the new Bottomland much better. I doubt there is any difference in effectiveness. I ordered the cotton mill button down from there and it doesn't match trek-lite or the polyester shades of Bottomland. If you are a real camo-has-to-match pretty boy like me it may matter to you. lol
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

To my eyes in the woods the original works better. I've tested both with my boy wearing them and original always wins.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Gooserbat wrote:To my eyes in the woods the original works better. I've tested both with my boy wearing them and original always wins.
X2. I think the new is "prettier" but it's a dark blob from a distance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

New
britton40

Post by britton40 »

el diablo wrote:I like the new Bottomland much better. I doubt there is any difference in effectiveness. I ordered the cotton mill button down from there and it doesn't match trek-lite or the polyester shades of Bottomland. If you are a real camo-has-to-match pretty boy like me it may matter to you. lol

I would love to find some trek lite bottomland pants. PM me if you have a lead on some.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

To my eye and based on my observations, I strongly prefer new. That color / pattern just disappears in the woods all fall, early spring and after green up. I have watched guys I hunt with in both early Advantage and recently the new Bottomland simply disappear when stalking through the open woods, and guys in Break-up patterns become a dark blob when they stop.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I'm a fan of the original. Not saying it works better, I just like how it looks. Not that big of a deal...wear what you like and sit still.
They don't make the trek-lite anymore? I like that stuff.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Negative on the trek lite in bottomland. It was discontinued a few years back. Could have got it for cheap! Are the tibbee pants close to trek lite?

Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

turkey_slayer wrote:Negative on the trek lite in bottomland. It was discontinued a few years back. Could have got it for cheap! Are the tibbee pants close to trek lite?

10-4. I bought some, I guess 2 years ago. Glad I did.
No, the tibbee is what they used to call VaporTec, the old rip stop. It's 100%cotton, with the rip stop stitching, and slightly heavier than the trek lite. I actually prefer it over the trek light on most days. A bit heavier.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I misspoke on trek lite, I meant duralite. Thats what my Drake bottomland pants are made of.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I still have some trek light. Gonna go to ole tom next as trek light is no more. It's so hot down here you gotta have the thin stuff.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I like the old school bottomland better. not saying it is better. I believe you could wear an orange jump suit and still kill turkeys. :D
El Sicario
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Did they ever make a bottomland leafy suit? That would be the ticket. Wear shorts or free ball under it. I used a cheap one last year when it hit around 80 and it was nice. Little nippy at day break tho lol

The Mossberg Mauler

Post by The Mossberg Mauler »

I prefer the original but wear both.
No Need To Count Holes In Paper. My Mossberg And Lead Kill'em Dead!!!!

I've wined and dined with Kings and Queens, and I've slept in the alley eating pork and beans.

Fox Trot Pro Staff Wannabe
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

el diablo wrote:I misspoke on trek lite, I meant duralite. Thats what my Drake bottomland pants are made of.
I don't know why but the only items you can get that dark bottomland like the duralite are all made from polyester.

If you notice all the guns that come from factory now days in bottomland have that cotton material looking color,Yuck!!

The only person I've seen dip anything that matches the polyester shade is, unfortunately Rob Roberts.

I have yet to find any cotton material that looks like that "duralite" it's darker and that's what I prefer..when it rains in the spring a person just disappears.

Even this new camo line mossyoak has bought back in the old school patterns look different.Take a piece of true vintage bottomland and hold it next to the new old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

Yeah the current "original" bottomland is grayer than the true old stuff. I like the original original bottomland. But either is effective if motionless.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I'm not a real big fan of the new bottomland. At 1st glance it does look like the original but usually from a distance. Both will do the job, however I'm more partial to the original bottomland.
Pass the biscuits!!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

taylorjones20 wrote:I like the new bottomland better. Currently having the stock and forearm of my SBE2 dipped in the new bottomland and the metal parts cerakoted.
Off topic, but please post a picture of this when you get it back. I've been wanting to have by SBE cerakoted for a while, but I like the idea of having the stock and forearm smooth with the camo dip. Haven't thought about it before.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Johndoe wrote:I still have some trek light. Gonna go to ole tom next as trek light is no more. It's so hot down here you gotta have the thin stuff.
I bought some lightweight Ol Tom pants in bottomland 2 years ago. The briars shred them and the pattern looks like a leopard print. My teenage son did not want to be seen with me at 5 am getting biscuits wearing them.
Cane Cutter

Post by Cane Cutter »

New

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”