Food Saver Game Saver Plus Vacuum Sealer

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Food Saver Game Saver Plus Vacuum Sealer

Post by HunterGKS »

I have 1 of the original Food Savers that I bought many, MANY years ago. I have used it a lot over the years & it has finally stopped working the way it should. I went looking online for a replacement & found this one listed on several sites. I checked the reviews &, while there were some bad ones, the majority were positive. The Cheapest I found it was through Wally World.

I have used it to re-seal some squirrel meat, some venison steaks, venison jerky, & brats. So far, so good. If you are looking for a vacuum sealer, this is a good one, IMHO.

THE SEALER

The controls give several options for sealing. I have used the Normal speed & both the dry & moist settings. The old machine came with a vacuum canister that I never used. I tried it to marinate some chicken & it worked great. You just attach it to the Accessory port with a small rubber tube. If you are sealing the bottom of a bag, you insert it into the machine, close & lock the top, & press the Seal button. If you are sealing a full bag, select the speed & food settings, insert the bag, close & lock the top, & press the Vacuum & Seal button. The Seal light will go out when the process is completed.
01.JPG

10.JPG
INSIDE THE SEALER

The best feature is the removable Drip Tray. It makes clean-up a lot easier. The bag storage area & the bag cutter are also nice additions. The cutter ensures a nice, straight cut.
03.JPG
SEALING THE BAG BOTTOM

You simply pull the bag under the cutter bar, extend it about 1” past the Sealing strip, close & lock the top, & press the Seal button. The seal light goes out when the seal is complete.
04.JPG

DRY SEAL

Select normal speed & dry setting, insert the bag until the end is over the drip tray, close & lock the top, & press the Vacuum & Seal button. The Seal light will go out when the process is completed.
05.JPG
FINISHED DRY SEAL
06.JPG
MOIST SEAL

Select normal speed & moist setting, insert the bag until the end is over the drip tray, close & lock the top, & press the Vacuum & Seal button. The Seal light will go out when the process is completed.

NOTE: I insert a moist pad into the bag to help absorb a lot of the moisture & keep it from entering the machine. It’s the same type of pad that is used in store bought meat packages.
07.JPG
FINISHED END WET SEAL
08.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Food Saver Game Saver Plus Vacuum Sealer

Post by GLS »

I use the same one. It works fine. Gil
RussM311

Post by RussM311 »

Great for packing clothes too.... As a soldier, our gear was constantly getting wet... and having to put on clean wet clothes sucks... wet socks are just wet socks. I carry survival items in my vest in vacuum sealed packets. I put vacuum sealed packets of 1st aid supplies in my deer stands. Batteries stay fresh in vacuum sealed packets. There are many uses for these great little machine. Highly recommended!!!!
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

cool
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

During woodcock season I'll vacuum bag a few birds guts and feathers intact for freezing. Thawed out the meat is as fresh looking and tasting as the day shot. The feathers act as additional protection against freezer burn. Gil
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote: July 10th, 2020, 1:53 pm During woodcock season I'll vacuum bag a few birds guts and feathers intact for freezing. Thawed out the meat is as fresh looking and tasting as the day shot. The feathers act as additional protection against freezer burn. Gil
So the innards don't taint the taste? I would maybe do the feathers thing but would be leery of the guts.
George

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The innards don't spoil the taste. When a woodcock flushes, he empties everything. Apparently their diet doesn't require strong stomach acids. Heck, I've cooked them guts in and made a sauce from the innards. I wouldn't do it with quail, however. Their innards smell like a garbage truck during a July heatwave. Here's a not quite done woodcock guts and brains in. Gil
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote: July 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm The innards don't spoil the taste. When a woodcock flushes, he empties everything. Apparently their diet doesn't require strong stomach acids. Heck, I've cooked them guts in and made a sauce from the innards. I wouldn't do it with quail, however. Their innards smell like a garbage truck during a July heatwave. Here's a not quite done woodcock guts and brains in. Gil
I have never hunted woodcock but have snipe & they basically do they same thing, void on the rise. They always got ate within a couple of daysso there wasn't any worries with freezing
George

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Woodcock and snipe have no crop or gizzard. I usually eat them fairly fast as well. They are as good as any wild game I've eaten. Gil

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”