Camo

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Camo

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It seems cruising the boards there is a ton of talk about different camo patterns and which one is more effective at close and long ranges. On another forum I was posting up about hunting out west and a guy asked me what camo he should buy for out west.

I am not saying that certain patterns wont work better in certain situations, but is it really a big deal? Do you can a higher level of confidence wearing one pattern over others?
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Camo

Post by MKW »

I like woodland. Get my camo pants at the surplus store for $12 ! Works for me, but I sit still.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Camo is the last thing I worry about when it comes to going undetected by turkey birds.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I use carhartts dark brown and a camo shirt in fall and in spring at the beginning I wear green carhartts and a camo shirt once it gets warmer i wear Mossy Oak bottomland
I think setting still is more important then the camo you have on
I thought you would be BIGGER
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Kamski and I dang near got run over by a hot gobbler one day. Kamski was trying out a call on the front porch and a tom hollered. We ran up the hill with no intention of doing anymore calling. Just wanted to listen. Well before we knew it that dang bird was on top of us. Me in camo leaning against a sapling and Kamski in blue jeans and a blue and white plaid jacket.Kamski could have grabbed that sucker by the neck if he wanted too.He was close enough to feel his breath.So do we really need camo ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Usahuntingear

Post by Usahuntingear »

I agree, i dont think it matters that much. Since they have been making dress shirts, prom dresses, wedding gowns, camo has become a fashion statement between the different designs is all.I look at the fabric its on then the camo.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Freakin' Mossy Oak Obsession all the way, down to my boxer briefs! If your not wearing Obsession, your not gonna kill any birds! I don't care about all those pictures you all have of dead birds with other camo.........PHOTOSHOPPED I say, PHOTOSHOPPED!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Just check out this guys camo ;)

A few years ago some of the guys I bowhunt moose with bought the latest and greatest camo for hunting in bad weather. It was $300 a coat and $300 a pant. Sold as a set. Real nice stuff I was very jealous. I wanted some but way to much money. Later that year I checked the hunting store and he had a set of the clothing at 60% off. He had a coat in one pattern and a pant in another and couldn't sell them because everyone wanted a matching set. I bought them. The guys in camp made fun of me because my stuff didn't match. I still have that stuff almost ten years old. I have had moose within 3 yards, a turkey walk by and have to step over my out stretched boot and a deer that stood 10 feet from me starring trying to figure out what I was before walking off. Needless to say I don't put much stock in camo pattern.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I need a good looking camo. The last thing I want is a gobbler to see some rat looking wore out clothing. I think its important to represent when hunting. And anyways camo is so other hunters can't see you in the woods but say hey nice camo when at Walmart. I mean come on. :roll:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Gobbler wrote:I need a good looking camo. The last thing I want is a gobbler to see some rat looking wore out clothing. I think its important to represent when hunting. And anyways camo is so other hunters can't see you in the woods but say hey nice camo when at Walmart. I mean come on. :roll:

Dude your so right my bad.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Thanks Timbrhuntr,

It takes years of sitting in a stand not seeing anything to syphor up this kind of insight. :D :thumbup:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ah Yes Fred Bear Awesome.. I still laugh when I watch Ray eye.. Alot of times he is in a pair of non camo Bdus and a plaid shirt.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Camo is completely over-rated, in my opinion. Just another multi-billion dollar industry, morphed out of the T.V. hunting show craze. Take a look at the guides out west. They mostly wear Carhartt's..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Yall go ahead wear your no camo clothing this year. I will be dressed in my usual Mothwing gear spring mimicry 3d slaying turkeys lol
Double beard guide service LLC
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Ah Yes Fred Bear Awesome.. I still laugh when I watch Ray eye.. Alot of times he is in a pair of non camo Bdus and a plaid shirt.
Hey Tom I thought you might like a pic of Papa Bear. Game was so much dumber then. All you had to wear was a plaid shirt or coat and dark pants, and you could get close enough to kill em with a trad bow.
Hognutz wrote:Camo is completely over-rated, in my opinion. Just another multi-billion dollar industry, morphed out of the T.V. hunting show craze. Take a look at the guides out west. They mostly wear Carhartt's..
Good point. I always thought it was funny in the hunting shows when the host is talking up his great camo and how you basically can't kill anything without it on and the guide in the next shot is wearing a brown coat, big black cowboy hat and a pair of blue jeans. You would think they would be smart enough to bring some extra camo for the guide to put on for the show.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

You guys are wrong. Please post a picture of you turkey hunting this spring in your lumber jack outfits. :lol: :lol: :shock: :thumbup:

Just wear your full camo and quit fantasizing. The only way to kill turkeys in Carharts is behind the wheel of your truck when you hit one. Ha Ha :lol: :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Another thing I have thought about.. Sadly enough walking through the woods you see trash of some form or another.. A common one is a white plastic bag stuck on a limb.. Turkeys surely mistake them for a hunters face..
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobbler wrote:You guys are wrong. Please post a picture of you turkey hunting this spring in your lumber jack outfits. :lol: :lol: :shock: :thumbup:
The secret is to mix and match to your surroundings. I was standing on my head in some crimsom clover trying to blend in. The shirt blended in well with the clover and my jeans blended in with the sky. Poor sob never knew I was there. When it's cloudy I wear white britches like a cloud unless I'm sitting on my ass instead of my head, then I wear a white T-shirt.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I stand corrected. :lol: :lol:
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

guesswho wrote:
Gobbler wrote:You guys are wrong. Please post a picture of you turkey hunting this spring in your lumber jack outfits. :lol: :lol: :shock: :thumbup:
The secret is to mix and match to your surroundings. I was standing on my head in some crimsom clover trying to blend in. The shirt blended in well with the clover and my jeans blended in with the sky. Poor sob never knew I was there. When it's cloudy I wear white britches like a cloud unless I'm sitting on my ass instead of my head, then I wear a white T-shirt.
Is that not the same as camo though???? All your doing is blending in with your surroundings lol
Double beard guide service LLC
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

I know a lady that killed one buck naked, she was naked, come to think of it so was the bird..... Anyway, she wouldn't pose for pictures. :(
"INFIDEL"
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Pattern not that important IMO. Think that sitting still matters most, but... I don’t want to contrast too much eg. light cloths dark, wet woods or vice versa.... Still find myself drinking the kool-aid and wearing head to toe usually Mossy Oak🤔
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
coconut

Post by coconut »

I like mossy oak obsession but have used most all the patterns with succes. One thing I concentrate on is finding a tree with some cover around it to break up my outline. Other thing I ask myself can I see and shoot out of the spot.
coconut

Post by coconut »

And the most important thing is this spot already taken by noshoulders

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”